Excerpt from "Shooting Iron" by Cassandra Khaw and Jonathon Howard.
Add Reply
a425couple
2020-05-13 20:49:52 UTC
"Shooting Iron" by Cassandra Khaw and Jonathon Howard.
One of many interesting short stories and little novels
in "The magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction" Sept/Oct
2018. If you don't have it, Available at many libraries.

They write very vivid descriptions.
A great deal of gory descriptions of what her bullets do.

Bad guy Kready shot an unarmed cowgirl, Jenny Lim, puts his
gun back into his holster, but then, she rises.

"My tit is going to bruise like a bitch" as she opens her
shirt to show body armor.

She then does a gun trick called 'Six Degrees of Tarnation'.

"Hell and damnation brew in the barrel, ride out as a thunderbolt,
cross the barn in a twinkling, and sever Kready's penis at its base.
The shock (and as we've established, the Shooting Iron loves his drama)
ripples onward and upward. The hydro static over pressure wave caused
by the penetration of a heavy bullet propagates down the inguinal
canals and disintegrates both testicles into gobbets of mincemeat
and cancer bearing spermatozoa. This is the first degree of
tarnation. The wound would likely kill Kready in few minutes.
He isn't going to last that long. ----"
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-13 21:26:40 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
They /do/ write them like that any more?
Well, I never.