"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
2020-01-26 22:41:31 UTC
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/

I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.

Lynn
a***@yahoo.com
2020-01-27 02:21:25 UTC
No Tim Powers? James Blaylock?
Lynn McGuire
2020-01-27 02:47:45 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let the Right One In" but not read the book.
Lynn
No Tim Powers? James Blaylock?
No Kelley Armstrong ? No Kim Harrison ?

2020-01-27 09:16:02 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
  https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books.  I have also seen the chilling movie
"Let the Right One In" but not read the book.
Lynn
No Tim Powers? James Blaylock?
Are either of them noted for their fantasy set in modern times?
No Kelley Armstrong ?  No Kim Harrison ?
Lynn
I would only consider those two to be big omissions if they were were
better than the ones actually on the list and they aren't. Except for
Sandman Slim, because Sandman Slim is Mary Sue bullshit.
Magewolf
2020-01-27 17:00:57 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
  https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books.  I have also seen the chilling movie
"Let the Right One In" but not read the book.
Lynn
No Tim Powers? James Blaylock?
Are either of them noted for their fantasy set in modern times?
No Kelley Armstrong ?  No Kim Harrison ?
Lynn
I would only consider those two to be big omissions if they were were
better than the ones actually on the list and they aren't.  Except for
Sandman Slim, because Sandman Slim is Mary Sue bullshit.
Slim is such an unpleasant borderline incompetent asshole that I do
not really see him as a Mary Sue. He also has a strange power curve for
a urban fantasy protag. Most of them get stronger as their series go
on,Slim gets weaker overall with a few power bumps that do not last.
a***@yahoo.com
Somewhat? The Last Call Trilogy? Medusa's Web? The Last Coin? Rainy Season?
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-27 02:49:25 UTC
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
_War for the Oaks_ is the only one on the list that I've read.
It's a favorite of mine, so I was pleased to see it number one on
the list.

Did anyone ever read Barbara Hambly's _Bride of the Rat _God_?
Eeeevil Manchurian magic in Hollywood just before sound came in.
2020-01-27 06:11:38 UTC
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
Read 2, I have a 3rd in my SBR.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
_War for the Oaks_ is the only one on the list that I've read.
It's a favorite of mine, so I was pleased to see it number one on
the list.
I believe the list counted down, thus, it was 25 (BTW, I don't believe I
have ever heard of at least 7 in the list)
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Did anyone ever read Barbara Hambly's _Bride of the Rat _God_?
Eeeevil Manchurian magic in Hollywood just before sound came in.
Oh, yes (there are even a sequel, "Castle of Horror", but the e-book is
overpriced considering that it is only a novelette)
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Joe Bernstein
2020-01-27 18:04:18 UTC
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
I've done only a little better.

<War for the Oaks>, Emma Bull, 1987 - read
<Spider's Bite>, Jennifer Estep, 2010
<The Cruel Prince>, Holly Black, 2018
<Wicked Lovely>, Melissa Marr, 2007 - read
<Skinwalker>, Faith Hunter, 2009
<Half-Resurrection Blues>, Daniel José Older, 2015
<Magic Bites>, Ilona Andrews, 2007
<Hounded>, Kevin Hearne, 2011
<Libriomancer>, Jim Hines, 2012
<London Falling>, Paul Cornell, 2012
<Sandman Slim>, Richard Kadrey, 2009
<Midnight Riot>, Ben Aaronovitch, 2011
<Dead Until Dark>, Charlaine Harris, 2001
<Sanctum>, Sarah Fine, 2012
<Moonheart>, Charles de Lint, 1984 - read
<The Atrocity Archives>, Charles Stross, 2004 - read
<Lake Silence>, Anne Bishop, 2018
<Storm Front>, Jim Butcher, 2000 - read
<American Gods>, Neil Gaiman, 2001 - read
<Guilty Pleasures>, Laurell Hamilton, 1993
<The Magicians>, Lev Grossman, 2009 - read
<Moon Called>, Patricia Briggs, 2006
<The City & The City>, China Miéville, 2009
<City of Bones>, Cassandra Clare, 2007
<Let the Right One In>, John Ajvide Lindqvist, 2004 - lightly skimmed

So I've read about 7 1/2.

He's got Hamilton and Briggs in his list, so he isn't stinting on the
prominent women writers of the version of "urban fantasy" that always
features mystery and romance along with. Therefore the omission of
Armstrong isn't an accident. Similarly, Bull and de Lint show that
the omission of Crowley (and Helprin, and Lindholm, and Powers...)
isn't an accident. Either he hasn't read the relevant books, or he
doesn't think them as good as the ones he lists.

I'm befuddled by the idea that <Moonheart> begins a five-book series.
I thought <Greenmantle> a sequel, and maybe it is, but what would the
other three be?

A bare majority of the writers whose books he lists are men. Butcher
notwithstanding, the writing that's *called* urban fantasy these days
is written mostly by women. He reaches well beyond that microgenre -
none of the books by Stross, Gaiman, Grossman, Miéville or Lindqvist
can reasonably be said to have been published within it, to say
nothing of the 1980s and 1990s books - and that helps explain things
(without those five writers, the ratio would be about 3:2 women).
But as it is, this is a kind of flipside of the list by James Nicoll
that drew so much fire here some months back.

I'd thought <The City & The City> to be a secondary-world story.
Guess not. Are there any on this list? One could argue that those
can be "urban fantasy" too, but opening up to them adds a boatload of
other possible listees, so he's probably better off not going there.

Joe Bernstein
Joe Bernstein <***@gmail.com>
Leif Roar Moldskred
2020-01-28 08:00:13 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
<The City & The City>, China Miéville, 2009
That's certainly an odd fit for Urban Fantasy.
Leif Roar Moldskred
h***@gmail.com
2020-01-28 08:52:59 UTC
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
I've read
Skinwalker
Magic Bites
Hounded
Dead Until Dark
The Atrocity Archives
Storm Front
American Gods
Guilty Pleasures
Moon Called
The City and the City

so 10

I've got but haven't finished
Midnight Riot
The Magicians
Paul S Person
2020-01-28 18:14:45 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:41:31 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
Which version?

I saw both when they came out, but only found them "chilling" in the
sense that there was a lot of snow on the ground.

Apparently, I just don't think the story is particularly great.
Joe Bernstein
2020-01-28 21:53:50 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
"25 Best Urban Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://www.fantasybookworld.com/25-best-urban-fantasy-books/
I have read 5 of the 25 books. I have also seen the chilling movie "Let
the Right One In" but not read the book.
Which version?
I saw both when they came out, but only found them "chilling" in the
sense that there was a lot of snow on the ground.
I haven't seen either, but found the book too much for me.
Post by Paul S Person
Apparently, I just don't think the story is particularly great.
I don't care whether it is or not. Any book whose 'most prominent
subplot could be titled "the making of a psychopath: the pre-teen
years" ' (quoting my book log) - well, to quote yet more, "I don't
care what happens to these people."

-- JLB
Robert Carnegie
Just _Storm Front_ and _Rivers of London_, for me.
Martin
2020-01-29 01:42:18 UTC
Does _The Last Hot Time_ count as urban fantasy?
Chris Buckley
2020-01-29 05:10:03 UTC
Post by Martin
Does _The Last Hot Time_ count as urban fantasy?
I would say "yes"; it's certainly matches better than many on the list.
An excellent, though quirky, book.

Chris