Lord of the Rings Quote
Add Reply
BCFD36
2020-02-10 07:54:05 UTC
I am looking for a quote from LOTR. My wife, and I for that matter,
think Bilbo said at some point, "I believe it is time for another
adventure". Actually I am not sure that it was exactly that.

There are three points where it could have taken place in the books (or
maybe the movies):
1. When Gandalf meets Bilbo in the Shire at the beginning of The Hobbit.
2. When Bilbo and Frodo are talking in Rivendell either before (my
guess) or just after the Counsel of Elrond.
3. A mis-remembering of what was said by Bilbo to Gandalf at the Grey
Havens.

I cannot locate my copies of the LOTR or The Hobbit at this point in
time. The power is out and we are running on generator. And it is
creeping up on my bed time.

She wants to use it as a cryptic quote on FB prior to our next
adventure. (And I hope it isn't a trip to the Lonely Mountain, Minas
Tirith, or Mordor.
--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Sr. Software Engineer - Stellar Solutions (Almost definitely Retired)
t***@gmail.com
2020-02-10 14:39:49 UTC
Post by BCFD36
[...]
I believe in the movie LOTR: The Return of the King,
Bilbo says "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure"
while at the Grey Havens.

I don't know if this is in the book or not - I don't it handy
right now, but I'll try to remember to check later.

Tony
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-02-10 14:56:27 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by BCFD36
[...]
Well, I never saw the movies past the travesty that Jackson (may
his bones burn green) made of TTT.

See my previous post; I don't think it's in the books.
2020-02-10 14:41:09 UTC
Post by BCFD36
[...]
Well, it's unlikely to be at the beginning of _The Hobbit,_ where
Bilbo dismisses Gandalf with "We don't go in for adventures
around here! Nasty things, make you late for dinner!"

After the Birthday Party, he says to Gandalf, "What fun! What
fun to be off again, off on the Road with dwarves! ... [T]he time
has come. I am being swept off my feet at last."

At the Council of Elrond, he says, "Bilbo the silly hobbit
started this affair, and Bilbo had better finish it, or himself.
... It is a frightful nuisance. When ought I to start?"

But when Elrond tells him the adventure has passed from him to
others, he is rather relieved. He is, after all, in his second
century, and he's been without the Ring's freeze-frame influence
for twenty years.

I wonder if you may be thinking of *Frodo*'s departure for the
Havens, when he sings a new version of the old walking-song:

"Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun."

Sorry to hear your power's out. I hope it's restored soon. We've been
having ferocious winds in California, but not many power outages
in Vallejo. And we have UPSes for the computers, so if the power
goes out we can do an orderly shutdown.
2020-02-10 15:53:10 UTC
Post by BCFD36
[...]
We had severe winds (50 mph gusts) the other day, and some parts
of Connecticut had power outages from that. I would have feared
them, as where I live the utility can't or won't bury the power lines,
due to the geology. I was pleased to ee the local electric company
out with a truck and crew a day before the storm, trimming branches
that might have taken down power lines. Our next door neighbor had
a tree on the property line that had limbs overhanging the street,
and its extremities were well-tangled with the wires. It is firewood
and a stump, now. I expect it was dead or diseased and needed to come
out, anyway. The upshot is, that when the wind howled, our power
stayed on. Chalk one up for United Illuminating.

As for the Tolkien quote, it is definitely from the films,
according to IMDB.

[quote]

I think I'm... quite ready for another adventure!

[/quote] - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/characters/nm0000949

I did manage to find this, which seems to be what Jackson and
his screenwriters altered:

[quote]

"Then Bilbo woke up and opened his eyes. ‘Hullo, Frodo!’ he said.
‘Well, I have passed the Old Took today! So that’s settled. And
now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey. Are you coming?’
‘Yes, I am coming,’ said Frodo. ‘The Ring-bearers should go together.’
‘Where are you going, Master?’ cried Sam, though at last he understood
what was happening.
‘To the Havens, Sam,’ said Frodo.
‘And I can’t come.’
‘No, Sam. Not yet anyway, not further than the Havens. Though you too
were a Ring-bearer, if only for a little while. Your time may come.

RotK, Book VI, Ch 9, The Grey Havens

[/quote] - http://www.henneth-annun.net/events_view.cfm?evid=18

I hope that helps!

Kevin R
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-02-10 20:08:04 UTC
Post by BCFD36
[...]
I did a text search for "adventure" through the whole LOTR/Hobbit and didn't
find anything resembling the quote there.

I don't have a copy of the movie scripts :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? `I protect the lives and
property of my citizens; you keep the public safe from an unreasonable
thought control.' -- Bernard, Yes Minister
BCFD36
2020-02-11 06:41:29 UTC
Post by BCFD36
[...]
Thanks one and all for your replies. You pretty much verified my
thoughts... it was in TRoTK at the Grey Havens.

In other notes, the power FINALLY came on after about 24 hours. Like
Miss Dorothy, I am in California, but in a much more rural area, but
still only 18 miles (as the Condor flies) from Sunnyvale. Boulder Creek
is in a coastal temperate rain forest with lots of redwoods, Doug Firs,
oaks, madrones, etc. None of these trees can fall without hitting power
lines. They get extra points for hitting a house or car. They get double
points for hitting both. There is also a 50% bonus for closing a road.
Sr. Software Engineer - Stellar Solutions (Probably Retired)
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-02-11 13:58:16 UTC
Post by BCFD36
Post by BCFD36
[...]
We're in the middle of [the old part of] Vallejo, and we have
trees too, notably a several-hundred-year-old oak (actually in
the neighbor's yard, but it dropped a lot of twigs on us) and a
pair of palm trees across the street that rise much higher than
the two-storey building they're in front of. They were dropping
old dead fronds all over the place, including in the street to
the endangerment of traffic. A strong east wind *might* bring
them down on top of us, but haven't yet.
2020-02-11 22:33:03 UTC
Post by BCFD36
Post by BCFD36
[...]
What Dave doesn't mention is that when a redwood falls and closes a road,
you may not be able to see over the trunk lying on the ground.

Pt
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-02-11 22:57:08 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by BCFD36
Post by BCFD36
[...]
Or if a great big fat several-centuries old scrub oak, like the
one in my neighbor's yard, falls over, you won't be able to see
through the leafy branches. They shed leaves here and there over
the course of the year, but there is never a time when they're
completely bare.
BCFD36
2020-02-12 00:46:53 UTC
[stuff deleted]
Post by Peter Trei
What Dave doesn't mention is that when a redwood falls and closes a road,
you may not be able to see over the trunk lying on the ground.
Pt
None here are quite that big. You have to go over to Big Basin State
Park for any that size, or Henry Cowel State Park. Most of the ones
around here are 2nd or 3rd growth, so only 4-5 feet in diameter.

Fortunately the palms mentioned in another post don't seem to come down
very often. Oaks on the other hand are always dropping branches here and
there. Sometimes BIG branches, like 3 foot thick branches.

I heard that when of the big boys on the Avenue of the Giants up in
Humbolt Redwoods State Park fell down in a storm, the impact was felt
hundreds and hundreds of yards away.
Michael F. Stemper
2020-02-21 14:43:51 UTC
Post by BCFD36
Post by BCFD36
I am looking for a quote from LOTR. My wife, and I for that matter,
think Bilbo said at some point, "I believe it is time for another
adventure". Actually I am not sure that it was exactly that.
Thanks one and all for your replies. You pretty much verified my
thoughts... it was in TRoTK at the Grey Havens.
In the PJ film, yes.

In the JRRT novel, there is a similar quote. In that, Bilbo says,
"And now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey."

He says it in the chapter titled "The Grey Havens". However, he says
it when he (and others) first meets up with Frodo, Sam, and company
in the Shire on the way to the Grey Havens.
--
Michael F. Stemper
87.3% of all statistics are made up by the person giving them.
BCFD36
2020-02-21 18:23:30 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by BCFD36
Post by BCFD36
I am looking for a quote from LOTR. My wife, and I for that matter,
think Bilbo said at some point, "I believe it is time for another
adventure". Actually I am not sure that it was exactly that.
Thanks one and all for your replies. You pretty much verified my
thoughts... it was in TRoTK at the Grey Havens.
In the PJ film, yes.
In the JRRT novel, there is a similar quote. In that, Bilbo says,
"And now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey."
He says it in the chapter titled "The Grey Havens". However, he says
it when he (and others) first meets up with Frodo, Sam, and company
in the Shire on the way to the Grey Havens.
Thanks to all of you who replied, including the off topic stuff.