_Unseen_Academicals_, Terry Pratchett
Add Reply
Norm D. Plumber
2010-11-18 19:54:07 UTC
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.

By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.

By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.

I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.

I'd give it about a 6 on a scale of 10 for being a great book, maybe a
37 on a scale of 10 for being a fun read.
What is trumps what should be, and what we expect, every time.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2010-11-18 19:56:14 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.
By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.
By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
I'd give it about a 6 on a scale of 10 for being a great book, maybe a
37 on a scale of 10 for being a fun read.
Alas, you've become one of THEM. The Pratchetts I have tried have
been... mildly amusing, at best, sorta like HHGTTG.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Norm D. Plumber
2010-11-18 20:12:40 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.
By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.
By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
I'd give it about a 6 on a scale of 10 for being a great book, maybe a
37 on a scale of 10 for being a fun read.
Alas, you've become one of THEM.
Hmmm... you mean, the shove? The crab bucket? Not likely, they'd
evict me in an instant, prolly unscrew my head first.
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
The Pratchetts I have tried have
been... mildly amusing, at best, sorta like HHGTTG.
I'm sure that I've read Pratchett books before, a decade or two (or
three) ago without taking great notice.

Have you read this one? I don't know if it's one-off or
representative of his "later"(?) style, but it's a total hoot.

Perhaps I've contracted laughing sickness and hadn't noticed before...

Say, how much does the author get per book in royalties? It says
inside the back cover that Pratchett's books have sold over 65 million
copies. Might be enough to loosen a fellow's cynical sense of humor,
eh?
What is trumps what should be, and what we expect, every time.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2010-11-18 20:26:49 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
The Pratchetts I have tried have
been... mildly amusing, at best, sorta like HHGTTG.
I'm sure that I've read Pratchett books before, a decade or two (or
three) ago without taking great notice.
Have you read this one? I don't know if it's one-off or
representative of his "later"(?) style, but it's a total hoot.
I haven't read that particular one. Having tried three separate
Pratchetts plus one short story, I doubt my taste's going to change.
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Perhaps I've contracted laughing sickness and hadn't noticed before...
Say, how much does the author get per book in royalties? It says
inside the back cover that Pratchett's books have sold over 65 million
copies.
If I assume all of those were paperbacks (which they weren't, but I'm
lowballing here) and that his royalty percentage is the same as mine
(which it almost certainly isn't), that'd still be about (pinky in
mouth) 30... MILLION... dollars.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Norm D. Plumber
2010-11-18 20:41:35 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Perhaps I've contracted laughing sickness and hadn't noticed before...
Say, how much does the author get per book in royalties? It says
inside the back cover that Pratchett's books have sold over 65 million
copies.
If I assume all of those were paperbacks (which they weren't, but I'm
lowballing here) and that his royalty percentage is the same as mine
(which it almost certainly isn't), that'd still be about (pinky in
mouth) 30... MILLION... dollars.
I'd say that would allow a fellow to pull the rod out of his arse and
have some fun, eh? <g>
What is trumps what should be, and what we expect, every time.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2010-11-18 20:44:42 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
If I assume all of those were paperbacks (which they weren't, but I'm
lowballing here) and that his royalty percentage is the same as mine
(which it almost certainly isn't), that'd still be about (pinky in
mouth) 30... MILLION... dollars.
I'd say that would allow a fellow to pull the rod out of his arse and
have some fun, eh?<g>
I certainly would like to have the opportunity to find out.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Chris
2010-11-18 23:40:00 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Post by Norm D. Plumber
[...]
Unless he's the kind of guy whose idea of fun is having a rod up his
arse.

Chris
Post by Norm D. Plumber
What is trumps what should be, and what we expect, every time.
Moriarty
2010-11-18 21:57:17 UTC
On Nov 19, 7:26 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<snip>
Say, how much does the author get per book in royalties?  It says
inside the back cover that Pratchett's books have sold over 65 million
copies.
        If I assume all of those were paperbacks (which they weren't, but I'm
lowballing here) and that his royalty percentage is the same as mine
(which it almost certainly isn't), that'd still be about (pinky in
mouth) 30... MILLION... dollars.
“Isn’t it nice to fall backwards into a a pile of money the size of St
Pauls Cathedral?” - Terry Pratchett to JK Rowling (allegedly)

-Moriarty
Kurt Busiek
2010-11-18 23:18:55 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
If I assume all of those were paperbacks (which they weren't, but I'm
lowballing here) and that his royalty percentage is the same as mine
(which it almost certainly isn't), that'd still be about (pinky in
mouth) 30... MILLION... dollars.
“Isn’t it nice to fall backwards into a a pile of money the size of St
Pauls Cathedral?” - Terry Pratchett to JK Rowling (allegedly)
"I like to dive into it like a porpoise! I like to burrow through it
like a gopher! I like to toss it up into the air and let it hit me on
the head!" — Scrooge McDuck (often)

kdb
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!
Default User
2010-11-18 21:19:53 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Have you read this one? I don't know if it's one-off or
representative of his "later"(?) style, but it's a total hoot.
That's one from the meta-series "Discworld". It has several intersecting
sub-series. If you'd be interested, you might try some of the others. I like
the ones featuring Death, and The City Watch. Wikipedia provides a list.

Brian
--
Day 652 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: "Fall Behind Me" (The Donnas)
Moriarty
2010-11-18 21:54:27 UTC
Post by Default User
Have you read this one?  I don't know if it's one-off or
representative of his "later"(?) style, but it's a total hoot.
That's one from the meta-series "Discworld". It has several intersecting
sub-series. If you'd be interested, you might try some of the others. I like
the ones featuring Death, and The City Watch. Wikipedia provides a list.
Or you could try the Discworld reading order guide. Now updated to
include _Unseen Academicals_, but not _I Shall Wear Midnight_

-Moriarty
Shawn Wilson
2010-11-18 23:37:11 UTC
Say, how much does the author get per book in royalties?  It says
inside the back cover that Pratchett's books have sold over 65 million
copies.  Might be enough to loosen a fellow's cynical sense of humor,
eh?
PTerry has himself said that he had to change banks because he had
filled the first one up...

He was able to donate $1 million for alzheimers research on short
notice.

I don't think he is wonddering where his next meal is coming from...
2010-11-18 20:13:43 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
Alas, you've become one of THEM. The Pratchetts I have tried have been...
mildly amusing, at best, sorta like HHGTTG.
Of the Discworld books that I've read, I only recall two actual laugh
moments. One was the highwayman who gets turned into a pumpkin but Ridcully,
and the incident with the angels coming for the Little Match Girl. But I
don't really read them for the humor either, although the generally light
tone is pleasing.

Brian
--
Day 652 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: "California Song" (Brooke White)
Cryptoengineer
2010-11-18 20:33:43 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.
By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.
By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
I'd give it about a 6 on a scale of 10 for being a great book, maybe a
37 on a scale of 10 for being a fun read.
I'll note that this is considered one of his weaker works. You might want
to jump back to the start of the 'City Watch' subseries: "Guards! Guards!".
For the Funny, try 'Moving Pictures'.

pt
Norm D. Plumber
2010-11-18 20:44:35 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.
By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.
By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
I'd give it about a 6 on a scale of 10 for being a great book, maybe a
37 on a scale of 10 for being a fun read.
I'll note that this is considered one of his weaker works. You might want
to jump back to the start of the 'City Watch' subseries: "Guards! Guards!".
For the Funny, try 'Moving Pictures'.
Really, eh? I think I'm mostly going to keep Sir Pratchett in reserve
and continue primarily reading books that make me think instead of
just laugh, though there are times when it's good to have a source of
fun.
What is trumps what should be, and what we expect, every time.
Cryptoengineer
2010-11-18 21:22:23 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Norm D. Plumber
[...]
Sir Terry has got that too. "Night Watch" is often considered his best.
It received the Prometheus Award. I think quite highly the recent Lipwig
books; Going Postal and Making Money.

pt
Will in New Haven
2010-11-18 23:17:07 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Norm D. Plumber
[...]
You may have accidentally hit on the right reading strategy for
Prachett. I read one of his books long ago and loved it, read two more
in rapid succession and thought I must have been deluded the first
time. Since then, I have found that i can read one of his books every
year or so and enjoy it immensely.

Will in New Haven
Cryptoengineer
2010-11-19 02:34:30 UTC
On Nov 18, 6:17 pm, Will in New Haven
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Norm D. Plumber
[...]
Interesting. He used to bring out roughly two books a year, and more
recently slowed down to one. Those of us who got in early read them at
roughly the pace you suggest.

Personally, one weekend back in 1983 I visited the SF Shop in
Greenwich Village, picked up a few books, and the pulps. I went to a
Burger King for lunch (I was much poorer than, and had a stronger
stomach) and flipped through the magazines while eating. I read a
review of 'The Color of Magic' in one of them, and after eating walked
back to the SF Shop, and got a copy. Haven't looked back since;
Pratchett is one of a *very* few authors who are buy-the-hardback-on-
sight for me.

pt

Wayne Throop
2010-11-18 23:17:54 UTC
: "Norm D. Plumber" <nom-de-***@non.com>
: I think I'm mostly going to keep Sir Pratchett in reserve and continue
: primarily reading books that make me think instead of just laugh,
: though there are times when it's good to have a source of fun.

Thinking and laughing aren't mutually exclusive.
In this case quite the reverse; the sort of humor Pratchett engages in is
usually somewhat thought provoking in a subversive thinking-out-of-the-box
sort of way.

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
Will in New Haven
2010-11-18 23:20:03 UTC
Post by Norm D. Plumber
Okay, so the description of the Tyrant and his democracy on page 1 was
hilarious, anybody can get lucky.
By page 12 or so the cute was beginning to pall.
By page 20 the clever barstid had captured me completely.
I think one the average I was unable to read more than about 10 pages
without getting "a look" from my wife for sitting there laughing like
a loon.
I would wager that she knows you well enough to say "as a loon,"
rather than "like a loon."

--
Will in New Haven