Invincible (Ark Royal) plus runaway technology
m***@sky.com
2018-04-05 19:12:30 UTC
This is the latest entry in Nuttall's "Ark Royal" series, and mostly concerns another first contact situation which ends up with both sides shooting at each other. I say mostly, because there is some other business going on as well. I think it is all understandable if you jump in to this book without having read the other books in the series, but I think you would wonder why it is relevant, while if you are following the series this other stuff is another thread in a continuing story. If you have read the others, I'd say that this is again reliably entertaining. If you haven't I'd guess that you would understand and enjoy this one, but the original "Ark Royal" is also entertaining and may be a better place to start.

One of the themes in this book is the influence of what is probably a runaway military technology. While I don't think this one is particularly plausible, it does make me think about the Fermi problem again. All of these technological civilisations out there without even one of them making a runaway screw-up big enough to be obvious to us? That is beginning to sound implausible to me.
Peter Trei
2018-04-05 20:30:40 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
Are you *sure* all those Gamma Ray Bursts are natural?

2018-04-05 20:40:21 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
That's because you aren't goodlife.