what is the word for...?
Add Reply
k***@gmail.com
2018-11-04 18:37:37 UTC
Hi,

Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this group but I couldn't think of where else to post it:

What is the word for something that is one (or more) of:

a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem

There are a lot of sci-fit books about PEOPLE who are one of the above, which is why I thought this must be a good place to post the questions.

The thing is it probably shouldn't be like a political movement or social trend - more like a single event.
And I'm looking for not a person but an event.

I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.

Thanks

Ken
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-04 21:01:25 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi,
Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this group but I
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
There are a lot of sci-fit books about PEOPLE who are one of the above,
which is why I thought this must be a good place to post the questions.
The thing is it probably shouldn't be like a political movement or
social trend - more like a single event.
And I'm looking for not a person but an event.
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
Well, there's the Tolkienism _eucatastrophe,_ which is a
beneficial event that nobody (or practically nobody) was
expecting.

Like when Gandalf came back from the dead, or the banner of
Aragorn billowed out from the Corsair flagship.

As for long-awaited, well, this is from _The Silmarillion_:

"Hail Earendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that
cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope!"
2018-11-05 00:28:13 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi,
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
There are a lot of sci-fit books about PEOPLE who are one of the above, which is why I thought this must be a good place to post the questions.
The thing is it probably shouldn't be like a political movement or social trend - more like a single event.
And I'm looking for not a person but an event.
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
Thanks
Ken
Not a knight in shining armour then. Hmm. Climax? "Eureka moment"?
Remedy? Revelation (strictly that's someone showing you the answer).
Resolution? Jubilee? Er, salvation? Payoff? Okay, thesaurus.com
time. Payoff = culmination = consummation.

Or finale.

Or climax.

Then there's satisfaction...

Then of course, redress.
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-06 21:48:25 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi,
[...]
Should I have included "fulfilment"?
Then of course, redress.
Jack Bohn
2018-11-05 01:17:56 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
There are a lot of sci-fit books about PEOPLE who are one of the above, which is why I thought this must be a good place to post the questions.
The thing is it probably shouldn't be like a political movement or social trend - more like a single event.
And I'm looking for not a person but an event.
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
"Tipping Point" might apply, with a connotation of inevitability of the resolution anticipated and hindsight obviousness of past solutions; "epiphany" for the formulating of a solution that still needs implementation. (Capital E "Epiphany" is a person.)
-Jack
Joe Bernstein
2018-11-05 05:06:25 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
There are a lot of sci-fit books about PEOPLE who are one of the
above, which is why I thought this must be a good place to post the
questions.
The thing is it probably shouldn't be like a political movement or
social trend - more like a single event. And I'm looking for not a
person but an event.
You do realise that the most obvious such term for such a *person* is
"messiah", right? Or maybe "saviour".
Post by k***@gmail.com
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
For such *events*, it isn't coming to me.

Barack Obama's election and/or inauguration is something of an
example of your middle sense. They obviously didn't resolve, let
alone solve, even as many problems as he hoped, but the first black
president was indeed a long-awaited great event. So I've clearly
lived through an example, but no really good word is coming to me.

(Kennedy, as the first Catholic, and the moon landing, would be
others, but one was before my time, the other before my memory.)

In some cases, "climax", as already suggested. In others,
"consummation". (Huh. Yeah, at the personal level that's another
long-awaited great event, or at least notionally used to be. I think
your middle sense is noticeably broader than the others.) In others,
"relief".

In lit-crit, there's a term sometimes presented as a fancier version
of "turn". I think this term is probably not very far from the one
already mentioned as Tolkien's, "eucatastrophe"; I think it comes
specifically from the study of Greek tragedy. Can't remember it, but
it might be the closest.

Other terms in the vicinity but not exactly right: "apotheosis",
"apocalypse", "crisis", "crux", ...

Joe Bernstein
Joe Bernstein <***@gmail.com>
Joe Bernstein
2018-11-05 17:55:27 UTC
I wrote last night:

["long-awaited great event"s]
Post by Joe Bernstein
Barack Obama's election and/or inauguration is something of an
example
(Kennedy, as the first Catholic, and the moon landing, would be
others, but one was before my time, the other before my memory.)
I suppose my version of a partisan bubble is that I didn't think of
the falls of the Berlin Wall and of the Soviet Union until about
twelve hours later. These, of course, like Obama, are within both my
lifetime and my memory, and I remember following the coup in and
resulting breakup of the Soviet Union with obsessed certainty that
it Made a Difference. (The collapse of the Iron Curtain was more
normal news for me, though only by comparison - it's not often that
anything stays unalloyed *good* news for months on end the way that
did, at least until the violence in Romania.)
Post by Joe Bernstein
Other terms in the vicinity but not exactly right: "apotheosis",
"apocalypse", "crisis", "crux", ...
"instauration", "transition". I'm noticing that essentially all
those I'm thinking of are of Latin or Greek ancestry.

-- JLB
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-05 23:25:55 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
["long-awaited great event"s]
Post by Joe Bernstein
Other terms in the vicinity but not exactly right: "apotheosis",
"apocalypse", "crisis", "crux", ...
"instauration", "transition". I'm noticing that essentially all
those I'm thinking of are of Latin or Greek ancestry.
-- JLB
Have we had "victory"?

"Triumph" technically was a kind of parade?
William Hyde
2018-11-06 20:36:53 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
["long-awaited great event"s]
Post by Joe Bernstein
Other terms in the vicinity but not exactly right: "apotheosis",
"apocalypse", "crisis", "crux", ...
"instauration", "transition". I'm noticing that essentially all
those I'm thinking of are of Latin or Greek ancestry.
-- JLB
Have we had "victory"?
"Triumph" technically was a kind of parade?
Combined with games, plays, a feast, and religious ceremony, yes.

Plus a murder or ten.

William Hyde
k***@gmail.com
2018-11-06 14:30:55 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
For such *events*, it isn't coming to me.
Yes, me either.

When I posted the question the word 'apotheosis' was in my mind but that means ASAIK something like 'high point' and doesn't convey the 'sudden arrival' idea.

Thanks all. Maybe a word will suddenly occur to someone.
2018-11-06 17:12:37 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
For such *events*, it isn't coming to me.
Yes, me either.
When I posted the question the word 'apotheosis' was in my mind but
that means ASAIK something like 'high point' and doesn't convey the
'sudden arrival' idea.
It's also a much more specific word. It means "becoming a god."
It's too specific to cover anything like what you were looking for.
k***@gmail.com
I guess the '-theo' brings in the 'god' part. Again, yes. As in my other reply just now, I meant a process not a place or state of being.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-07 05:27:49 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
For such *events*, it isn't coming to me.
Yes, me either.
When I posted the question the word 'apotheosis' was in my mind but
that means ASAIK something like 'high point' and doesn't convey the
'sudden arrival' idea.
It's also a much more specific word. It means "becoming a god."
It's too specific to cover anything like what you were looking for.
I guess the '-theo' brings in the 'god' part. Again, yes. As in my
other reply just now, I meant a process not a place or state of being.
Apotheosis is a process, becoming a god (like, I dunno, Herakles
or somebody) rather than being one.

pt
k***@gmail.com
2018-11-06 23:44:49 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
I think there's some relatively common term, that has escaped me.
For such *events*, it isn't coming to me.
Yes, me either.
When I posted the question the word 'apotheosis' was in my mind but that means ASAIK something like 'high point' and doesn't convey the 'sudden arrival' idea.
Thanks all. Maybe a word will suddenly occur to someone.
ITYM 'apogee'.
pt
Yes. Here's the Oxford Dictionary (from a Google search so it must be legal to copy and paste it right?)
Definition of apotheosis in English:

apotheosis
NOUN

1The highest point in the development of something; a culmination or climax.
‘his appearance as Hamlet was the apotheosis of his career’
More example sentencesSynonyms
2The elevation of someone to divine status.
‘death spared Pompey the task of having to account for the apotheosis of Caesar’
More example sentences
Origin
Late 16th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek apotheōsis, from apotheoun ‘make a god of’, from apo ‘from’ + theos ‘god’.
Pronunciation
apotheosis/əˌpɒθɪˈəʊsɪs/

What I was groping for was more like not the highest point but the sudden arrival of it - the process of suddenly being at it - and not just the highest point but some overwhelming situation. I think I'm making it more confusing not less.
Kevrob
2018-11-06 23:55:19 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
[...]
If it were knowledge only, "epiphany" would do. People use that
in a religious sense, or a secular one, nowadays: a "Eureka!" moment.

We do say things like "Kirk was the apotheosis of a Starship captain."
The idea personified, if not deified.

I like him, but I've never called him an apotheosis.
Kevrob
2018-11-07 21:09:08 UTC
We do say things like "Kirk was the apotheosis of a Starship captain."
The idea personified, if not deified.
Kevin R
I like him, but I've never called him an apotheosis.
Link Hogthrob, then.

Or would that be an apo-sys-eosis? :)

The Singularity.
Quadibloc
2018-11-05 23:39:57 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
I can't think of a word that has those as its *specific* meaning.

Such an event is often referred to as a triumph, an achievement, a resolution.

2018-11-05 23:43:15 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
a long-anticipated resolution to some problem
a long-awaited great event
an iconic solution to some long-endured problem
I can't think of a word that has those as its *specific* meaning.
Such an event is often referred to as a triumph, an achievement, a resolution.
And of course "long sought-after" is a common phrase modifying the word used,
along with "long awaited", which you have used. So when Andrew Wiles proved
Fermat's Last Theorem, no single word in common use described what happened.