Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
2018-12-01 20:22:51 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01

Heh.

2018-12-01 21:12:49 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Would our "craftier" people and SCA veterans know:
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.

2018-12-01 21:31:47 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
But soap doesn't contain fat. It contains hydrolized fatty acids
derived from fat.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-12-02 00:06:56 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
/digs into old memories of high-school chemistry

Yes, fat can go rancid. And under some circumstances you want it
to; IIRC if you want a hard bar of soap you need rancid fats.
Fresh fats will make soft soap. OTOH once the fat has been
subjected to alkali (lye, e.g.) and heat, it's possible the fat
has been sufficiently denatured that it won't go rancid. At
least, not nearly as soon. But my high-school chemistry class
was sixty years ago.......
2018-12-03 01:06:31 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
/digs into old memories of high-school chemistry
Yes, fat can go rancid. And under some circumstances you want it
to; IIRC if you want a hard bar of soap you need rancid fats.
Fresh fats will make soft soap. OTOH once the fat has been
subjected to alkali (lye, e.g.) and heat, it's possible the fat
has been sufficiently denatured that it won't go rancid. At
least, not nearly as soon. But my high-school chemistry class
was sixty years ago.......
Bathroom products that I checked don't have an expiry date,
which pretty much is only on anything because there's a law.
But there is, for probably the same reason, an in-use lifetime,
which seems to be probably by default 12 months from opening,
and unlikely to be exceeded - although with less and less hair
on my head, I use less and less shampoo.

Robert Carnegie
2018-12-02 03:10:58 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
Kevin R
The fossil oil reserves are well preserved. Although they may have
tasted better when fresh.
Greg Goss
2018-12-02 11:42:29 UTC
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
Fat plus lye. I expect that the lye would be a pretty good
antibacterial.
2018-12-02 15:04:35 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Hagar the Horrible: expired soap ?
http://comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2018-12-01
Heh.
Wouldn't soap made from animal fat as in Hagar's age
only last so long? Fat can spoil.
Fat plus lye. I expect that the lye would be a pretty good
antibacterial.
That's what I was thinking. We did make soap in that
eons-distant high-school chemistry class. I do not think we used
real lye, but some more tractable alkaline substance.