Future of airflight?
Add Reply
Dan Tilque
2018-11-23 09:09:18 UTC
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/small-drone-soars-on-an-ionic-wind-with-no-moving-parts/

Silent flight with no moving parts.
--
Dan Tilque
Bill Gill
2018-11-23 14:27:09 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/small-drone-soars-on-an-ionic-wind-with-no-moving-parts/
Silent flight with no moving parts.
Does this mean that airplanes are going to start flying across
the skies trailing a string of sparks, as in some comics?

Bill
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-11-23 15:35:10 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Dan Tilque
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/small-drone-soars-on-an-
ionic-wind-with-no-moving-parts/
Silent flight with no moving parts.
Does this mean that airplanes are going to start flying across
the skies trailing a string of sparks, as in some comics?
One of the things the guy who invented this was looking for was a
blue glow. (The article I read did not indidcate whether or not he
acheived that part.)

tu160
One can only hope.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-11-24 02:03:41 UTC
Post by tu160
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Dan Tilque
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/small-drone-soars-on-an-ionic-wind-with-no-moving-parts/
Silent flight with no moving parts.
Does this mean that airplanes are going to start flying across
the skies trailing a string of sparks, as in some comics?
Bill
One can only hope.
I heard about this effect some years ago. My understanding is that it
is very limited in how much thrust it can provide.