Definition of intelligence
The Starmaker
2020-04-06 07:20:53 UTC
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligence
intelligence noun
in·?tel·?li·?gence | \ in-'te-l?-j?n(t)s
\
Definition of intelligence
(2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligence
According to the definition of Intelligence...an ant has intelligence.
Any ant should be able to pass an ant iq test...
Given the definition of intelligence, nobody here appears to be more intelligent than an...ant.
and ants been around a lot longer than yous have..
how dumb are rocks? wasn't it a rock that killed all the dinosaurs????
I bet those science guys would love to bring back some Martian viruses to earth...
to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, and challenge
the unchallengeable.
The Starmaker
2020-04-06 07:27:18 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligence
intelligence noun
in·?tel·?li·?gence | \ in-'te-l?-j?n(t)s
\
Definition of intelligence
(2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligence
According to the definition of Intelligence...an ant has intelligence.
Any ant should be able to pass an ant iq test...
Given the definition of intelligence, nobody here appears to be more intelligent than an...ant.
and ants been around a lot longer than yous have..
how dumb are rocks? wasn't it a rock that killed all the dinosaurs????
I bet those science guys would love to bring back some Martian viruses to earth...
What you need is a universal IQ test to test all things....even rocks.

a mouse named Algernon can beat you in a maze...
to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, and challenge
the unchallengeable.
Ned Latham
2020-04-06 07:45:56 UTC
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
I bet those science guys would love to bring back some Martian viruses to earth...
They'll have to look after them very carefully. Our bugs'll kill
'em quicksmart if they don't.
Post by The Starmaker
What you need is a universal IQ test to test all things....even rocks.
That could make some people feel insecure.
Charlie begs to differ.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-06 14:37:54 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
a mouse named Algernon can beat you in a maze...
Charlie begs to differ.
A way long time ago I read a story called "The Writing of the
Rat."

ISFDB tells me it was by James Blish and was in _Galaxy_ in July
1956, which sounds right. All I remember now is the human
interpreter trying to interrogate a rat POW, and the human top
brass says something dumb, and the rat answers, "You couldn't run
a maze barefoot."

"It was the ultimate insult, but [the translator] didn't tell
[the brasshat] that."
Ned Latham
2020-04-06 15:16:57 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
a mouse named Algernon can beat you in a maze...
Charlie begs to differ.
A way long time ago I read a story called "The Writing of the
Rat."
ISFDB tells me it was by James Blish and was in _Galaxy_ in July
1956, which sounds right.
I know (ahem, have read some of) James Blish and Galaxy, but not
the Rat.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
All I remember now is the human
interpreter trying to interrogate a rat POW, and the human top
brass says something dumb, and the rat answers, "You couldn't run
a maze barefoot."
LOL

Damn. Now I gotta go looking for it.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
"It was the ultimate insult, but [the translator] didn't tell
[the brasshat] that."
Cheers

Ned
D B Davis
2020-04-11 16:45:18 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
a mouse named Algernon can beat you in a maze...
Charlie begs to differ.
A way long time ago I read a story called "The Writing of the
Rat."
ISFDB tells me it was by James Blish and was in _Galaxy_ in July
1956, which sounds right. All I remember now is the human
interpreter trying to interrogate a rat POW, and the human top
brass says something dumb, and the rat answers, "You couldn't run
a maze barefoot."
"It was the ultimate insult, but [the translator] didn't tell
[the brasshat] that."
Field Captain Jahnke's the thoughtful translator while sadistic,
maleficent Major Matthews wears the circumstantial brass hat. [1]
They interrogate the Enemy, a rodent over six feet tall, who originates
from Vega III.
The Blish Vega III planet's presumably part of the same Vega System
where Perry Rhodan resumes his quest for immortality. [2] Along the way,
Rhodan makes a stop on the planet Vagabond, home of a curious creature
called a mouse-beaver. [3] Although mouse-beavers are half the size of
the Enemy, they bear a striking resemblance to each other. [4][5]
One such mouse-beaver possesses extraordinary mutant intelligence.
The Ackerman has a young crewman from Independence, Missouri name this
particular mouse-beaver "Pucky" after Puck from _Midsummer Night's Dream_
(Shakespeare). [6] The Moewig has Perry Rhodan simply name the mouse-
beaver "Gucky" without further ado.
In either edition, Pucky/Gucky's telekinesis power enables him to
easily fend off Bad Actors who want to harm the mouse-beaver. OTOH, the
Enemy simple resigns himself to his fate, without attempting to fight
back.

As an aside, "for your information" (Ley) immediately precedes
"Writing of the Rat" in the July 1956 issue of _Galaxy_ article. Ley
talks about pi and apparently aired the original "Bible says pi's 3"
observation that plausibly propelled another Biblical brouhaha in rasw a
few months ago.

Note.

[1] https://archive.org/details/galaxymagazine-1956-07/page/n55/mode/2up
[2] https://perryrhodanreadingproject.blogspot.com/2011/05/perry-rhodan-10-ghosts-of-gol-1971.html
[3] https://perryrhodanreadingproject.blogspot.com/2011/05/perry-rhodan-11-planet-of-dying-sun.html
[4] https://archive.org/details/galaxymagazine-1956-07/page/n59/mode/1up
[6] https://perryrhodanreadingproject.blogspot.com/2011/06/perry-rhodan-12-rebels-of-tuglan-1972.html

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2020-04-11 18:17:52 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
a mouse named Algernon can beat you in a maze...
Charlie begs to differ.
A way long time ago I read a story called "The Writing of the
Rat."
ISFDB tells me it was by James Blish and was in _Galaxy_ in July
1956, which sounds right. All I remember now is the human
interpreter trying to interrogate a rat POW, and the human top
brass says something dumb, and the rat answers, "You couldn't run
a maze barefoot."
"It was the ultimate insult, but [the translator] didn't tell
[the brasshat] that."
Field Captain Jahnke's the thoughtful translator while sadistic,
maleficent Major Matthews wears the circumstantial brass hat. [1]
They interrogate the Enemy, a rodent over six feet tall, who originates
from Vega III.
Bravo! Either you have a complete run of _Galaxy_ from the 1950s
(I *had* one once, but when I went away to college my parents
dumped it), or your memory is orders of magnitude better than
mine. (The latter is the likelier possibility.)

Post by D B Davis
As an aside, "for your information" (Ley) immediately precedes
"Writing of the Rat" in the July 1956 issue of _Galaxy_ article. Ley
talks about pi and apparently aired the original "Bible says pi's 3"
observation that plausibly propelled another Biblical brouhaha in rasw a
few months ago.
Well... any engineer will tell you that pi can equal 3 for a
rough approximation. And I'm not going to google the Biblical
quotation just now, but it describes the construction of a brass
"bason" (vat, I assume) that was thirty ells in circumference and
had thirty knobs spaced around its edge, an ell apart.

I have no idea how large the Hebrew word that's translated "ell"
in the KJV was -- an English ell was the distance between a man's
middle fingertip and his elbow (which either is where the word
"elbow" comes from, or else it's the other way around), but on
something that size, the additional 0.1416... isn't going to
register.

And thank *you* for the research.
2020-04-11 19:24:27 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
[5] https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lbGsnj4xgbc/Te0ajroYBgI/AAAAAAAAAJU/-k83NEH9s20/s320/PR12+p45.jpg
[6] https://perryrhodanreadingproject.blogspot.com/2011/06/perry-rhodan-12-rebels-of-tuglan-1972.html
Bravo! Either you have a complete run of _Galaxy_ from the 1950s
(I *had* one once, but when I went away to college my parents
dumped it), or your memory is orders of magnitude better than
mine. (The latter is the likelier possibility.)
"Writing of the Rat" was unknown to me until you mentioned it earlier.
It also happens to be available at archive.org. One thing led to another
until it was read for the first time earlier this morning.

Allow me to augment your abridgment of my original follow up. It
occurred to me to add alt.fan.heinlein as an afterthought during my
bicycle ride that took place immediately after my post. Now RAH fans can
enjoy Ackerman's embedded Easter egg, as an adjunct to this weekend's
celebrations.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
The Starmaker
2020-04-10 06:10:03 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
What you need is a universal IQ test to test all things....even rocks.
That could make some people feel insecure.
I don't see why, most people here have rocks in their head...
to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, and challenge
the unchallengeable.
Ned Latham
2020-04-10 06:51:11 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by Ned Latham
----snip----
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
I bet those science guys would love to bring back some Martian
viruses to earth...
They'll have to look after them very carefully. Our bugs'll kill
'em off quicksmart if they don't.
LOL. Didn't see that one...
a***@yahoo.com
2020-04-11 17:17:47 UTC
Just think if all of the problems that would be solved and arguments avoided if an IQ test was called a Zeeb test.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-11 18:21:49 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Just think if all of the problems that would be solved and arguments
avoided if an IQ test was called a Zeeb test.
Nnnnngggg... What an IQ test really measures is the ability to
take IQ tests, which also shows a lesser correlation with the
ability to do well in school (which arises not only from
intelligence but cultural background and several other factors).
Which is why I scored so high when I was eight. (We were living
in married-graduate-student housing and the guy next door was
working for his Phud in psychology and needed to practice
administering what was probably the Stanford-Binet.)

I would probably not score so high today.
a***@yahoo.com
2020-04-11 20:36:16 UTC
My score improved after reading IQ tests for Dummies.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-11 23:18:20 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
My score improved after reading IQ tests for Dummies.
/snerk

Actually, that's not entirely facetious. Familiarity with the
material being tested (which is culturally biased, unless they've
improved it in recent years) helps your grade.
2020-04-12 01:18:50 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
My score improved after reading IQ tests for Dummies.
/snerk
Actually, that's not entirely facetious. Familiarity with the
material being tested (which is culturally biased, unless they've
improved it in recent years) helps your grade.
Familiarity with the design of questions, too.

_Chris Moyles' Quiz Night_ was a TV panel game of
mostly comedians, with Chris as both host and player.
Presuming it was fair - one round involved any
pop group or artist who owed them a favour performing,
recorded, one of their songs but with a complicated
process of arithmetic instead of the original lyrics.
Chris was better at this than I expected of him,
and it crossed my mind - he gets to do it every week.

Then again, the one time that I tuned into
Russell Brand's late night BBC radio chat show,
I found him casually talking with his guests about
Plato and the school of Socrates. So it can happen
that you think someone is a dummy and they're not.

Well, unless I dreamed that.