YASSID - The extra S is either for Silly or Stupid. You choose.
The Zygon
2019-01-09 02:26:49 UTC
When I was a boy I read a story about an alien visitor who had a habit of saying "Good story". Initially, they thought that this was its way of saying, "True". But later they realized that it might have meant that it suspected of knew that it was being lied to.

Yes, I know that there is almost no useful information there. I had wanted to post this YASID since I discovered this group in early 2018, but realized that there is very, very little information. I finally decided that I can take looking silly to this group.

It would be pure luck if anyone can help me on this.

If you try at all, thank you in advance.

Regards,
The Zygon
Butch Malahide
It might help if you provided more information. 1. it might help a lot to know how old the story was. How long ago did you read it? "When you were a boy" could be 5 years ago or 80 years ago, for all I know. 2. Was it a novel or a short story? In English? 3, Was the alien humanoid, or a blob, or what? Was it a scientist, tourist, trader, missionary, invasion scout?
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-01-09 05:56:34 UTC
Post by The Zygon
It would be pure luck if anyone can help me on this.
If you try at all, thank you in advance.
Regards,
The Zygon
It might help if you provided more information. 1. it might help a lot
to know how old the story was. How long ago did you read it? "When you
were a boy" could be 5 years ago or 80 years ago, for all I know. 2. Was
it a novel or a short story? In English? 3, Was the alien humanoid, or a
blob, or what? Was it a scientist, tourist, trader, missionary, invasion
scout?
Was the alien perhaps a greek demi-god?

https://tinyurl.com/yardnvl4
The Zygon
I get the point. See my response to Butch.
The Zygon
2019-01-09 06:04:21 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by The Zygon
[...]
1. The story is at least 35 years old.
2. It was a American novel
3. The alien was humanoid and could exist comfortably in our atmosphere
4. It was not easily categorized, but diplomat is probably closest. He was not part of an invasion.

Thanks for the help. I did not provide more details, because I remember so little, that I doubt that anyone for whom the phrase "Good story!" does not ring a bell will be able to identify the story.
David Johnston
2019-01-09 20:45:33 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by The Zygon
[...]
Oh it rang a bell with me. But it was a totally irrelevant bell since
Brandon Sanderson has a series of fantasy novels in which there's a
symbiotic spirit that delights in human lies regarding them as
entertaining fiction.
Joe Bernstein
2019-01-14 17:51:47 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Post by The Zygon
When I was a boy I read a story about an alien visitor who had a
habit of saying "Good story". Initially, they thought that this
was its way of saying, "True". But later they realized that it
might have meant that it suspected of knew that it was being lied
to.
Thanks for the help. I did not provide more details, because I
remember so little, that I doubt that anyone for whom the phrase
"Good story!" does not ring a bell will be able to identify the
story.
Oh it rang a bell with me. But it was a totally irrelevant bell since
Brandon Sanderson has a series of fantasy novels in which there's a
symbiotic spirit that delights in human lies regarding them as
entertaining fiction.
Which rang a bell with me: Jack Vance at some point wrote a story
in which some alien is vastly entertained by human stories, whether
true or not. (Almost certainly before Sanderson, no?) But if "good
story" figured in it, I've forgotten that.

James Tiptree's "All the Kinds of Yes" has an alien who takes delight
in the purity of the air and the beauty of the native wildlife calls
in a US city circa 1970 (meaning pollution and traffic respectively),
but isn't especially concerned with truth vs fiction. (And isn't
remotely a diplomat, and the story isn't a novel, etc. This is not
the YASID's answer.)

Wild guess: Could the book sought be by Keith Laumer?

Joe Bernstein
Joe Bernstein <***@gmail.com>
The Zygon
2019-01-14 22:02:07 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
Post by David Johnston
Post by The Zygon
Post by The Zygon
[...]
Thanks for your post. It did not help, but I liked and anyway. I also appreciate it.

I really don't expect help, but I did not expect help for the first YASID I did here, and I got it. I was not able to provide much more information than this time around. Thanks again for trying.

I see that 68 people have read my YASID. I still have hope.

Regards
The Zygon