O.T. RIP Little Richard, 87
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-09 19:08:15 UTC
I saw him in an outdoor concert maybe 10 years ago.

I was also lucky enough to see the rare 1969 concert movie "Keep on Rockin' (Toronto Pop)" in the late 1970s. (It was directed by D.A. Pennebaker. Jerry Lee Lewis also performs!) In the very good 1994 book "Hollywood Rock" by Marshall Crenshaw, the movie is listed under "Sweet Toronto."

L.R. had six other entries in that book. One was the 1957 "Mister Rock and Roll." (It's a fictional story, starring Alan Freed.) There are 12 performers, but the only other ones whose names I recognized were the Moonglows, Lionel Hampton, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, LaVern Baker, and Chuck Berry. One song was "Barcelona Rock."

From Michael Shore's 1987 "Music Video: A Consumer's Guide," about the 1985 documentary "Rock and Roll: The Early Days":

"...one point the tape stresses is the way white, establishment middle America virulently decried rock 'n' roll on one hand, and on the other did all it could to co-opt black R&B hits with appallingly innocuous cover versions by sanctioned Caucasian artists. I mean, you haven't been really sickened until you've seen Pat Boone, his tie loosened to signal 'naughtiness,' desecrating 'Tutti-Frutti' with his namby-pamby uptight reading."

Lenona.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-09 21:31:06 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I saw him in an outdoor concert maybe 10 years ago.
I was also lucky enough to see the rare 1969 concert movie "Keep on
Rockin' (Toronto Pop)" in the late 1970s. (It was directed by D.A.
Pennebaker. Jerry Lee Lewis also performs!) In the very good 1994 book
"Hollywood Rock" by Marshall Crenshaw, the movie is listed under "Sweet
Toronto."
L.R. had six other entries in that book. One was the 1957 "Mister Rock
and Roll." (It's a fictional story, starring Alan Freed.) There are 12
performers, but the only other ones whose names I recognized were the
Moonglows, Lionel Hampton, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, LaVern
Baker, and Chuck Berry. One song was "Barcelona Rock."
From Michael Shore's 1987 "Music Video: A Consumer's Guide," about the
"...one point the tape stresses is the way white, establishment middle
America virulently decried rock 'n' roll on one hand, and on the other
did all it could to co-opt black R&B hits with appallingly innocuous
cover versions by sanctioned Caucasian artists. I mean, you haven't been
really sickened until you've seen Pat Boone, his tie loosened to signal
'naughtiness,' desecrating 'Tutti-Frutti' with his namby-pamby uptight
reading."
Headline on a newssite reported that he had died at 87, subheaded
with "Cause of death not known."

Holy Cat, man, he died of being 87! The way my mother died of
being 90 and my mother-in-law of being 92. At some point the
system just breaks down, and the official cause of death is
"heart failure."
Jay E. Morris
Turns out in this case it was bone cancer.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-10 02:51:32 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Headline on a newssite reported that he had died at 87, subheaded
with "Cause of death not known."
Holy Cat, man, he died of being 87! The way my mother died of
being 90 and my mother-in-law of being 92. At some point the
system just breaks down, and the official cause of death is
"heart failure."
Turns out in this case it was bone cancer.
Ah. I sit corrected.
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-10 03:19:29 UTC
I have danced more to his music than to all other music.....combined.

LOVED his stuff........and loved the way it pissed off some of my contemporaries.

That was years......and more years........ago.

Today, if I tried dancing to it, I would...uh...hurt something.

(I square dance now, and George Strait style country dance)

I mourn his passing.

RIP