[tor dot com] Five SF Stories About Raising the Children of the Future
2021-07-12 14:06:00 UTC
Five SF Stories About Raising the Children of the Future
https://www.tor.com/2021/07/12/five-sf-stories-about-raising-the-children-of-the-future/
2021-07-12 17:58:26 UTC
Five SF Stories About Raising the Children of the Future
https://www.tor.com/2021/07/12/five-sf-stories-about-raising-the-children-of-the-future/
Whoa, I read one of the five, "The Illustrated Man".

I would add a book to the list, "Heirs Of Empire" by David Weber.
Unfortunately, it is out of print now.
https://www.amazon.com/Heirs-Empire-Dahak-David-1996-03-01/dp/

But there is a total printing of the Dahak trilogy available for a
reasonable amount:
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ashes-David-Weber/dp/141650933X/

Come to think of it, I would also add "A Beautiful Friendship" by David
Weber.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Friendship-Star-Kingdom-Weber/dp/1451638264/

Shoot, lets add "Emergence" by David Palmer to this list:
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/194881806X/

Lynn
s***@yahoo.com
2021-07-14 20:18:29 UTC
Sorry I won't remember the details, but an old fairly standard space opera mentioned in passing a planet that took education very seriously, and the children were qualified in practically everything, fighting, healing, survival, cheating, lying, etc. which was tough enough to always kill a few. I don't recall that it had any bearing on the story, and the planet was otherwise fairly ordinary. I suppose it served as a warning to not jerk those folks around.
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2021-07-15 19:12:09 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by James Nicoll
Five SF Stories About Raising the Children of the Future
https://www.tor.com/2021/07/12/five-sf-stories-about-raising-the-children-of-the-future/
Sorry I won't remember the details, but an old fairly standard space opera mentioned in passing a planet that took education very seriously, and the children were qualified in practically everything, fighting, healing, survival, cheating, lying, etc. which was tough enough to always kill a few. I don't recall that it had any bearing on the story, and the planet was otherwise fairly ordinary. I suppose it served as a warning to not jerk those folks around.
Are you maybe thinking of "Primary Education of the Camiroi," by R.A.
Lafferty?
My latest novel is Tom Derringer & the Steam-Powered Saurians.
William Hyde
2021-07-14 20:25:30 UTC
Five SF Stories About Raising the Children of the Future
https://www.tor.com/2021/07/12/five-sf-stories-about-raising-the-children-of-the-future/
In "Last and First Men" the children of the eighteenth iteration of humanity are people
under the age of 30,000 years. They play with childish things, like systems of
philosophy, science, empire-building and destroying, all in ignorance of the
existence of an adult world. If they live, most of them figure out that they've
been in a playground and seek out the adults.

William Hyde