[Big Hair, Big Guns!] Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
2021-03-22 14:03:10 UTC
Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-wrong-with-me
2021-03-22 15:36:20 UTC
Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-wrong-with-me
Reminds me a bit of how Henry Kaiser, in the midst of one of his
gigantic projects, needed medical care available to the workers,
so he started his own, beginning with one doctor*, and the rest
is, sort of, history.

But Kaiser was putting his medical service together on Earth.
Fewer problems, compared to inventing a clinic in GEO.

_____
*I had to google his name: Sidney R. Garfield. I saw him once,
not to speak to; he was elderly by then, and had the pinkish hair
that redheads get when they age.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
James Nicoll
2021-03-22 16:42:50 UTC
Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-wrong-with-me
Reminds me a bit of how Henry Kaiser, in the midst of one of his
gigantic projects, needed medical care available to the workers,
so he started his own, beginning with one doctor*, and the rest
is, sort of, history.
But Kaiser was putting his medical service together on Earth.
Fewer problems, compared to inventing a clinic in GEO.
Oh, my paternal grandparents got their healthcare from Kaiser. I think
my grandfather might have actually worked for Kaiser at one point, after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
2021-03-22 20:14:20 UTC
Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-wrong-with-me
Reminds me a bit of how Henry Kaiser, in the midst of one of his
gigantic projects, needed medical care available to the workers,
so he started his own, beginning with one doctor*, and the rest
is, sort of, history.
But Kaiser was putting his medical service together on Earth.
Fewer problems, compared to inventing a clinic in GEO.
Oh, my paternal grandparents got their healthcare from Kaiser. I think
my grandfather might have actually worked for Kaiser at one point,
That is the easiest way of getting on Kaiser/Permanente, because
it's an employee benefit (or was when I was on it for a few
years, fifty-plus years ago).

That said, their care is not the best. Back in 1974, two friends
and I were pregnant at as near the same time as makes no
difference. One friend, IIRC, had her baby on her due date.
Mine was three weeks late. But when the third friend went
overdue, the Kaiser docs did a C-section because it fitted their
schedule.

But it's better than nothing, I guess.
Post by James Nicoll
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
James Nicoll
2021-03-22 20:54:29 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate. UWaterloo
offered him a job that hit his trifecta: a teaching/research position,
somewhere with interesting weather, far enough from his mother she'd
have to phone before showing up (she and my mother didn't get on).
2021-03-22 22:25:19 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
Post by James Nicoll
UWaterloo
offered him a job that hit his trifecta: a teaching/research position,
somewhere with interesting weather, far enough from his mother she'd
have to phone before showing up (she and my mother didn't get on).
Good reasons for him, certainly.

As I've mentioned more than once, for me snow is something you
bundle up, make sure the car has chains accessible, pack the kids
into it and drive a couple hundred miles eastward till you get
high enough that there is snow. (N.B. this doesn't generally
work in the summertime.)
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
James Nicoll
2021-03-23 02:00:09 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
He was raised in Pennsylvania and found California weather boring.
2021-03-23 02:08:39 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
He was raised in Pennsylvania and found California weather boring.
*blink* *blink* Fires, floods and earthquakes weren't interesting
enough for him?
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-03-23 05:17:57 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
He was raised in Pennsylvania and found California weather boring.
*blink* *blink* Fires, floods and earthquakes weren't interesting
enough for him?
I'm guessing, mind you, but maybe he found winters without snow
at ground level too dull?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Dimensional Traveler
2021-03-23 05:55:15 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
He was raised in Pennsylvania and found California weather boring.
*blink* *blink* Fires, floods and earthquakes weren't interesting
enough for him?
I'm guessing, mind you, but maybe he found winters without snow
at ground level too dull?
I don't think there is anywhere in California that's more than 100 miles
away from snow in winter. ;) And he could have always just moved into
the mountains so he could spend his winters buried in snow over the
roof. :-P
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-03-23 13:58:25 UTC
[...]
Well, from Vallejo (where I currently live) to Lake Tahoe is
something like 186 miles. That's well over a hundred. And from
San Francisco to Eureka is 271 miles (google) and I know it
sometimes snows in winter there, because I asked (I was writing a
song, and had to make sure).
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-03-23 14:15:57 UTC
[...]
Postscript: I just mentioned this to Hal, and he says, "There are
parts of California that are more than a hundred miles away from
snow in winter. San Diego, for example. Chula Vista (where he
lived before coming to Berkeley). El Centro."
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Dimensional Traveler
2021-03-23 15:33:32 UTC
[...]
Bop Hal on the nose for me please. Thank you. :)
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-03-24 03:45:27 UTC
[...]
Done. He laughed. You're welcome.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Scott Lurndal
2021-03-23 16:24:47 UTC
Well, from Vallejo (where I currently live) to Lake Tahoe is
something like 186 miles. That's well over a hundred. And from
San Francisco to Eureka is 271 miles (google) and I know it
sometimes snows in winter there, because I asked (I was writing a
song, and had to make sure).
Postscript: I just mentioned this to Hal, and he says, "There are
parts of California that are more than a hundred miles away from
snow in winter. San Diego, for example.
There is Laguna Mountain, well under 100 miles from
San Diego/Chula Vista and El Centro that gets snow every
year.

"Mt. Laguna receives the most snowfall in all
of San Diego County. Snow is never predictable
and can happen anytime from November to the first
week of June. During snowstorms, chains* may be
required for your vehicle. There are large areas
for sledding as well as cross country skiing. Even
without snow, snuggling up around a fireplace can be great fun"
Kevrob
2021-03-23 16:46:32 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
[...]
No matter how many snow-capped peaks may be within
a 100-mile drive of any particular Californian town, I would
suppose there are great swaths of the state where one never
could get up a game of pick-up pond hockey. There are
places in the Bay Area where one can ice skate, though.

https://www.timeout.com/san-francisco/things-to-do/best-ice-skating-in-san-francisco

As a kid, I was fortunate to live one lot away from as cove of a local
lake that froze enough for skating some years. Living as I did in a
village on the South Shore of New York's Long Island, there were
years where the winters were mild enough that trustworthy ice
wouldn't form. Other years we got quite a lot of solid ice. I
managed to break an arm learning to skate on that cove, but I kept
at it after I healed up. I was so jealous of my upstate cousins who
lived near Schenectady, who would scoff at how little snow could
close our schools. As a high school debater I traveled all over NY
state in the winter, and had actual experience of the climactic
differences between a coastal location and one in the continental
interior. "Join debate! Visit beautiful Oneonta!" may not have been
the best recruiting slogan. :)
2021-03-23 18:11:00 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
[...]
I grew up in west-central wisconsin. Pickup games on the
pond (or even on lake pepin or lake winneshiek during really
cold periods).

Today, I'd much rather go to the beach in the winter
months.
The Horny Goat
2021-05-30 04:29:32 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
I grew up in west-central wisconsin. Pickup games on the
pond (or even on lake pepin or lake winneshiek during really
cold periods).
Today, I'd much rather go to the beach in the winter
months.
Somebody once asked former Canadian prime minister what his favorite
non-political memory of Ottawa was. He said one of those pickup hockey
games on the frozen Rideau river where they once had a 5 mile long
break away....
Kevrob
2021-05-30 21:07:38 UTC
On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:29:36 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:

[snip]
.......He said one of those pickup hockey games on the
frozen Rideau river....
The river or the canal?
.....where they once had a 5 mile long break away....
Bwah-ha-ha!!!!
The Horny Goat
2021-05-30 04:28:09 UTC
As a kid, I was fortunate to live one lot away from as cove of a local
lake that froze enough for skating some years. Living as I did in a
village on the South Shore of New York's Long Island, there were
years where the winters were mild enough that trustworthy ice
wouldn't form. Other years we got quite a lot of solid ice. I
managed to break an arm learning to skate on that cove, but I kept
at it after I healed up. I was so jealous of my upstate cousins who
lived near Schenectady, who would scoff at how little snow could
close our schools. As a high school debater I traveled all over NY
state in the winter, and had actual experience of the climactic
differences between a coastal location and one in the continental
interior. "Join debate! Visit beautiful Oneonta!" may not have been
the best recruiting slogan. :)
Don't know about that but in the early 80s I was a coop student who
got the "privilege" of going back and forth between Winnipeg and
Hamilton every 4 months for 2 1/2 years. Highway 11/17 (which is the
highway running up the east coast of lake Huron then due west along
the lakes Huron and Superior coastline for several hundred miles then
west to the Manitoba border) is a REAL treat to drive in mid-winter
and considerably colder than upstate NY.

I agree "visit beautiful ______" where _____ is any town along that
route would NOT have been an appealing slogan. 500+ miles of near
white out conditions along that road would have been typical in
winter....
Dimensional Traveler
Dimensional Traveler
2021-03-23 15:32:40 UTC
[...]
Eh, 100 miles, 200 miles, we're Americans! We think big! :-P
Scott Lurndal
2021-03-23 16:20:27 UTC
I don't think there is anywhere in California that's more than 100 miles
away from snow in winter. ;) And he could have always just moved into
the mountains so he could spend his winters buried in snow over the
roof. :-P
Well, from Vallejo (where I currently live) to Lake Tahoe is
something like 186 miles. That's well over a hundred. And from
San Francisco to Eureka is 271 miles (google) and I know it
sometimes snows in winter there, because I asked (I was writing a
song, and had to make sure).
To be fair, there is usually snow in the winter (for a few hours
to a couple of days) at Mts Hamilton, Tam and Diablo. And often
highway 17 to Santa Cruz will be closed by or affected by snow.

Both well within 100 miles of Vallejo.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Mt-Tamalpais-snow-Marin-County-weather-snowfall-13590213.php

In SoCal, there's substantial snow a stones throw (or cable car ride)
from palm springs every winter.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-03-23 05:17:07 UTC
...after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
Gosh. What (if you happen to know/remember) did he dislike about
the Bay Area climate? A curious absence of snow?
He was raised in Pennsylvania and found California weather boring.
Hmmm. My only stay in Pennsylvania was at Pennsic in 1993. I
had been warned about the Storms of Great Ferocity and Note, and
sure enough, one landed right after my plane did. The nice
people who met me at the airport drove me to the site and found
the West Kingdom encampment. I got my (bubble, not period) tent
up and crawled into bag.

In the morning, there was nothing left of the storm but mud
puddles far and wide. I had also been warned that it gets hot at
Pennsic, so I'd brought several cotton gauze over- and
undertunics, and was fairly comfortable in spite of the heat.

Then a wave of cool, misty weather blew in out of the west, and I
was exquisitely comfortable in my cotton gauze. But all the
people from the East and Middle Kingdoms bundled up in their
heaviest cloaks and complained about how cold it was. I suspect
their systems had already adapted to summer-in-the-middle-of-
the-continent heat, and couldn't adapt back quickly enough.

And because it was August, there was no snow.

I enjoyed my stay at Pennsic very much; as Bard to the Prince
of the Mists, I wrote poems and songs and impressed the hell out
of the King of the Midrealm. But I was glad to get back to the
Mists.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
The Horny Goat
2021-05-30 04:18:45 UTC
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
Why would anybody stay anywhere if he could move to SF? Unless
he could move to Berkeley.
Well in my case when I was a very wee tyke my parents lived in
Richmond California when my father was in grad school, couldn't get
the position he wanted on graduation and after a few mishaps ended up
in Vancouver (where my mother was from) and basically spent the rest
of his life here. Since Dad's family was/is bigger than Mom's I have
more American than Canadian relatives. (I think of my self as a
Vancouverite chiefly because with the exception of my first 3 years
and 7 years during my grad school days and first jobs afterwards in
Ontario and Winnipeg I've spent my whole life here)

(Having formerly had dual status I could have gotten US citizenship
but my mother's father had been a federal candidate in Canada and
Canada dropped it's voting age from 21 to 18 so I naturally registered
to vote and did when I was 19 and was told later by US officials while
I could have gone anytime after my 21st birthday to the nearest US
consulate and sworn US citizenship the fact that I had voted in Canada
"proved" to them I had made my choice. Naturally nobody had warned me
about the significance of voting.....on the other hand I wasn't
required to register for Selective Service either and this was the
closing days of the Vietnam War when that year I would have had a
rather low draft lottery number so if my college grades had
dropped...)
Post by James Nicoll
I am Canadian because my father hated the Bay Area climate.
My dad only hated the Bay area because of the way his dream job went
up in smoke. Otherwise he was fine with it.
Kevrob
2021-05-30 20:57:18 UTC
Space Doctor by G. Harry Stine
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-wrong-with-me
Reminds me a bit of how Henry Kaiser, in the midst of one of his
gigantic projects, needed medical care available to the workers,
so he started his own, beginning with one doctor*, and the rest
is, sort of, history.
But Kaiser was putting his medical service together on Earth.
Fewer problems, compared to inventing a clinic in GEO.
Oh, my paternal grandparents got their healthcare from Kaiser. I think
my grandfather might have actually worked for Kaiser at one point, after
my grandparents relocated to the west coast (one part side stepping Red
Scare career issues, one part why would a Hawaiian stay in Pennsyvania
if he could move to SF?).
--
Scrapple is even more addictive than Spam? :)