Bite Marks - vampires and other monsters
Add Reply
Bobbie Sellers
2024-09-30 05:57:51 UTC
I had read this before but forgotten the cover when I picked it
up again at the SFPL-Main SF stacks. If you have already covered
it in previous postings, sorry but I am a late comer to SF.written
and the old stuff is apparently inaccessible.

"Bite Marks" by Terence Taylor set in the later 1980s
when Koch was the mayor of New York City and HIV-AIDS was still
a deadly and incurable disease but published in 2009.

It starts with the murder and infection with the vampiric
curse of a young women a sex worker by one Adam Caine, a young
and foolish vampire. He forces her to bite her infant and for
vengeance she calls up her infant from the dead.

In this story vampires do not have to drink the blood
of their victims but can exist on the life essence they can
draw from their victims. The female vampire who created Adam
Caine from a carefully groomed young man who had lost his quite
mad mother in the Influenza Epidemic of the 1918 period was
warped to start with by his mother. His father seems to have
been an uncaring brute and sent him to a sanitarium where the
vampire woman found him as she was drinking the blood of the
director. Drinking the blood is not necessary but is a drug
for these vampires. Adam Caine as was his previous name,
Damon Fox. is quite sadistic and he has murdered whole families
a person at a time. One member of one family happens to have
encountered him after he burned down the family house and told
him that he would be back for his sister and for himself.
The sister did not stay in touch and brother Jim went
to look for her. After she sent a sealed diary to the foster
parents who passed it on to Jim he went to NYC to look for his
sister but too late. There is a young couple who signed a
contract for books and illustrations who advertised in the
Village Voice for information about vampires and Jim contacts
them. This is a very dense book and there are very old vampires
and even older vampires, formerly the Olmec shamans. The Female
who made Adam Caine is threatened with exposure which might
lead to eternal entombment as has been done with vampires
whose bad behavior threatened to expose the existence of
the the vampires. All this leads to apocalyptic actions
and mass killings of vampires and humans, and zombies
As I said above I read this book the second time
and it was not a painful experience so that is the best
recommendation I can give it. Taylor has written more
in a similar vein.
<https://www.amazon.com/stores/Terence%20Taylor/author/B0024JEM9U>

bliss
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
Robert Carnegie
2024-10-01 11:26:31 UTC
    As I said above I read this book the second time
and it was not a painful experience so that is the best
recommendation I can give it.
Being in it would be quite painful, evidently.
Taylor has written more
in a similar vein.
...Of course he has.