OT Tom Wolfe RIP
2018-05-16 02:44:21 UTC
"The “Me” Decade and the Third Great Awakening" [1] is my favorite
Wolfe. It makes me ROTFLMAO ... every ... single ... time ... it's read.
Allow me to post a couple of excerpts from his _NYT_ obit. [2]

William F. Buckley Jr., writing in National Review, put it more simply: “He is
probably the most skillful writer in America — I mean by that he can do more things
with words than anyone else.” ⋯

Every morning he dressed in one of his signature outfits — a silk jacket, say, and
double-breasted white vest, shirt, tie, pleated pants, red-and-white socks and
white shoes — and sat down at his typewriter. Every day he set himself a quota of
10 pages, triple-spaced. If he finished in three hours, he was done for the day.

“If it takes me 12 hours, that’s too bad, I’ve got to do it,” he told George
Plimpton in a 1991 interview for The Paris Review. ⋯

Berton Roueche is now my favorite wordsmith. But Wolfe's not bad, in
a Matt Taibbi type of way. Wolfe's discipline to write 10 pages a day is
also instructional.

Note.

1. http://nymag.com/news/features/45938/
2. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/obituaries/tom-wolfe-pyrotechnic-nonfiction-writer-and-novelist-dies-at-88.html

Don
Quadibloc
2018-05-16 04:07:59 UTC
Wasn't he the author of "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"?

2018-05-16 13:45:22 UTC
[...]
Yes Wolfe wrote it. After a few false starts over the years it was clear
that the story was never going to work for me. It was never going to
hook me for unknown reasons.
BTW, _Vanity Fair_ also did an obit on Wolfe. [1] Allow me a couple
of more thoughts about Taibbi. At one time, didn't Wolfe write for the
_Rolling Stone_? Taibbi seems sort of like Wolfe's successor.
During the Fall of 2015, months before the primaries, Taibbi called
the 2016 election for Trump. He was more of a realist than a fan. His
breezy analysis was the final bit that confirmed my own suspicions of
the eventual outcome.
Yet, despite his own prognostication, by the Summer of 2016 Taibbi
was all in for HRC. After Trump won as Taibbi himself predicted way back
in 2015, Taibbi wrote an essay that sort of scolded himself for not
listening to himself. More of a /WTF was I thinking?/ than a mea culpa.

Note.

1. https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/10/how-tom-wolfe-became-tom-wolfe

Don
m***@sky.com

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The Right Stuff" - which I remember as a pretty good film, although my memories of the film and the book are probably confused with those of Yeager's as-told-to autobiography.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-05-16 16:55:06 UTC
✍
Don
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The Right Stuff" - which I
remember as a pretty good film, although my memories of the film
and the book are probably confused with those of Yeager's
as-told-to autobiography.
The film was entertaining, but it took liberties that were very
insulting (and untrue) to certain people. Especialy Yeager, at the
end.

2018-05-16 23:13:20 UTC
?
Don
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The Right Stuff" - which I remember as a pretty good film, although my memories of the film and the book are probably confused with those of Yeager's as-told-to autobiography.
Either way, the guys at Edwards were actually doing the stuff that
needed to be done, while the NASA crew got all the glory and all the
money and never actually accomplished much that was of lasting value.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-05-16 23:38:13 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
Yeah, it's not like we have worldwide instantaneous communications,
and television, via satellite or anything.

Dumbass. (And once Sputnik was in orbit, a good deal of what was
done at Edwards was done in support of NASA.)

2018-05-16 06:21:29 UTC
Post by D B Davis
[...]
I read of this in the Guardian. Having been really impressed with
Bonfire of the Vanities and having enjoyed the follow up, I went back to
his earlier publications which I did not enjoy, understand or
appreciate. I will look for your favourite, thank you.
D B Davis
2018-05-17 12:54:54 UTC
Post by Titus G
[...]
Humor, like music and literature, is very subjective. "The 'Me' Decade"
is a story about people who are the polar opposite of me. The people in
the story desperately crave attention.
People who need to be the center of attention are ironic given my
own proclivity to blend-in. So that's what makes the story funny, to me.
YMMV.

Don
William Hyde
2018-05-17 19:05:52 UTC

Post by D B Davis
10 pages, triple-spaced. If he finished in three hours, he was done for the day.
“If it takes me 12 hours, that’s too bad, I’ve got to do it,” he told George
Plimpton in a 1991 interview for The Paris Review. ⋯
Frederick Pohl had a similar system. Every day he wrote four pages (double spaced, not triple) of final copy. "Even when I'm so hung over my eyelashes bleed".

William Hyde
James Nicoll
2018-05-17 19:21:52 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Plimpton in a 1991 interview for The Paris Review. ⋯
Frederick Pohl had a similar system. Every day he wrote four pages
(double spaced, not triple) of final copy. "Even when I'm so hung over
my eyelashes bleed".
That's basically how I manage to be 45 times as productive [1] as the
median reviewer on the Strange Horizons count. Every day, read a book,
write a thousand words. Doesn't matter what's going on or how I feel.
One thousand words.

1: In general. In terms of reviewing books by women and non-binary authors,
my rate is 90 times that of the median reviewer in the Strange Horizons
count, while I review books by POC at a rate 160 times that of the median
reviewer in the Strange Horizons count. That last would be so much more
impressive if the median reviewer didn't go over two years between
successive reviews of books by POC.