"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
2018-08-04 06:31:11 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/

I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_

He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.

Lynn
Steve Dodds
2018-08-04 15:41:02 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
I have 6

1: Maze runner
2: Divergent
3: Have space suit will travel
4: Ship breaker
5: Ender's game
6: Hunger Games

There's a lot of Heinlein that belongs on the list, Plus Jumper belongs
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-04 17:27:02 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
 I have 6
1: Maze runner
2: Divergent
3: Have space suit will travel
4: Ship breaker
5: Ender's game
6: Hunger Games
 There's a lot of Heinlein that belongs on the list, Plus Jumper belongs
I agree, "Jumper" belongs on the list.

2018-08-08 10:03:49 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
Never seen or heard of eight of them. Given that one of those is by Garth
freakin' Nix, that's saying something. Have read four ... and I think I've read
the story Binti got expanded from.
Post by Lynn McGuire
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
His definition of "young adult" seems to seek to exclude "children's", but then
the Heinlein and L'Engle don't make sense. In any case, there's -dozens- of
older older-children's books he seems to have never encountered. I'll just
mention Time Gate by John Jakes; it's got dystopias, time travel, and more in
it, and I'll bet its plot makes MORE sense than several of these.

Dave, heck, Miss Pickerell and Danny Dunn could probably each beat the pants
off some of these protagonists without trying
2018-08-04 16:13:43 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
It's an unspoken rule when making these lists that you only go with what
you consider to be the best book by any given author.
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-04 17:27:34 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
It's an unspoken rule when making these lists that you only go with what
you consider to be the best book by any given author.
Gotcha. Except for Heinlein.

2018-08-04 17:46:44 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.

2018-08-04 17:50:12 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.
pt
Not currently popular, no. YA dystopia, like YA vampire romance is a
thing that came and went.
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-06 19:19:00 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.
pt
Not currently popular, no. YA dystopia, like YA vampire romance is a
thing that came and went.
What is popular in the YA world then ?

2018-08-07 03:35:42 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.
pt
Not currently popular, no. YA dystopia, like YA vampire romance is a
thing that came and went.
What is popular in the YA world then ?
Some teenager died! Why? Actually secondary world fantasy seems to be
on the rise as well.

Incidentally any list of the best YA science fiction books that excludes
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is crap. That one's the best YA science
fiction ever.
d***@gmail.com
2018-08-07 16:07:35 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
<snip>
Post by David Johnston
Incidentally any list of the best YA science fiction books that excludes
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is crap. That one's the best YA science
fiction ever.
I have never read that. In fact i don't recall hearing of it. What about it is particularly good? Not challenging your view, merely trying to understand its qualities.

There have been many very good YA SF books, back at least to the RAH juvies (well some of them anyway) I don't think that a single "Best 20" list that all, or even most, would agree on, is a possible thing, but discussing which items would belong on it and why can be both fun and enlightening, in my view. Of course not everyone will agree on what makes for a good SF YA in the first place.

-DES
Kevrob
2018-08-07 16:34:05 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Incidentally any list of the best YA science fiction books that excludes
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is crap. That one's the best YA science
fiction ever.
I have never read that. In fact i don't recall hearing of it. What about it is particularly good? Not challenging your view, merely trying to understand its qualities.
There have been many very good YA SF books, back at least to the RAH juvies (well some of them anyway) I don't think that a single "Best 20" list that all, or even most, would agree on, is a possible thing, but discussing which items would belong on it and why can be both fun and enlightening, in my view. Of course not everyone will agree on what makes for a good SF YA in the first place.
-DES
One SF/F series I really liked, with a protagonist who starts out
at age 16, was Greg Bear's duology: THE INFINITY CONCERTO and
THE SERPENT MAGE. The omnibus edition is SONGS OF EARTH AND POWER.

When our store bought the first one, we shelved it in the SF/F section,
rather than in the YA section. It involves magic, music and the
creative process.

2018-08-07 17:28:40 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-bo=
oks/=20
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast=
"
Post by Lynn McGuire
belong on this list.
Lynn
<snip>
=20
Incidentally any list of the best YA science fiction books that excludes=
=20
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is crap. That one's the best YA science=20
I don't believe that anyone has mentioned O.T. Nelson's _The Girl Who Owned a City_.
David Johnston
2018-08-07 22:04:39 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Incidentally any list of the best YA science fiction books that excludes
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is crap. That one's the best YA science
fiction ever.
I have never read that. In fact i don't recall hearing of it. What about it is particularly good? Not challenging your view, merely trying to understand its qualities.
What's particularly good about it is the biopunk technology. The
messenger lizards, the eponymous cross between a whale and a dirigible,
the iron spike pooping bats, the strafing hawks. Not plausible but so
cool.
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-07 18:49:24 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
That book is new to me. Ah, steampunk, not my bag of tea.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Trilogy-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1416971742/

Lynn
Ahasuerus
What would be a good way to quantify the fortunes of YA dystopias?
Dimensional Traveler
2018-08-06 20:32:43 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Johnston
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.
Not currently popular, no. YA dystopia, like YA vampire romance is a
thing that came and went.
What would be a good way to quantify the fortunes of YA dystopias?
The followup YA dystopia movies wave appears to be cresting (i.e. it is
becoming less popular as movies). Given the typical lag between the
books and the movies made based on the books....
2018-08-06 20:51:55 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Johnston
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
About half of them seem to fall into the currently popular trope of 'YA
dystopian coming of age story'. That's kind of sad.
Not currently popular, no. YA dystopia, like YA vampire romance is a
thing that came and went.
What would be a good way to quantify the fortunes of YA dystopias?
The followup YA dystopia movies wave appears to be cresting (i.e. it is
becoming less popular as movies).
Then again, the quality of the film does play into that. The third
Divergent movie was almost unwatchable.
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-06 22:21:37 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Johnston
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I watched "Allegiant" last weekend. I agree. So does Rotten Tomatoes.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_divergent_series_allegiant/

Oh wow, they are turning it into a tv series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divergent_Series:_Allegiant

2018-08-07 01:06:51 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Johnston
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Because the last one bombed so badly they cancelled the planned fourth
movie.
P. Taine
2018-08-04 19:32:46 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
I liked "Binti" (and it's two sucssor books, "Home" and "The Night Masquerade" )
a lot, but I think that classifying it as scence fiction is a bit off. There is
a lot of just plain nonsense (merging of multiple species' DNA, etc.) to make it
more of a fantasy.

Okorafor's ongoing story of Sunny, "Akata Witch", "Akata Warrior", and the soon
to be releised (I hope) third book, are pure fantasy, and delightful. Based (as
are the "Binti" books) on West African, mainly Igbo, myths, and with no
"mighty-whitey" characters, the have a very different feel than most fantasy
that I have read.

P. Taine
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-07 22:40:34 UTC
"19 Best Young Adult Science Fiction Books"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-young-adult-science-fiction-books/
I have read five out of the nineteen.
9. _Have Space Suit - Will Travel_
7. _Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment_
5. _The Girl With All the Gifts_
4. _Ender's Game_
3. _A Wrinkle In Time_
He is missing two books, "Citizen of The Galaxy" and "The Star Beast"
belong on this list.
Lynn
I forgot to mention that I have seen three of these in movies,
"Divergent", "The Maze Runner", and "Ender's Game".