"21 Best Political Science Fiction Books" by Dan Livingston
2019-08-03 05:20:42 UTC
"21 Best Political Science Fiction Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-political-science-fiction-books/

I have read 10 of the 21. Wow, the books were published from 1924 to
2016, nice list. And one could argue that every one of Cory Doctorow's
books is a political commentary.

Lynn
David Goldfarb
2019-08-03 07:02:52 UTC
16 of 21. I've read all the ones published in the 20th century except
for _We_ and _Downbelow Station_. The other misses are _Persona_,
_Luna_, and _Jennifer Government_.

(Now where is _Too Like the Lightning_?)
--
David Goldfarb | BANG! BANG! BANG! "Fire the tachyon guns!"
***@gmail.com |
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- David Danzig
m***@sky.com
I would add Heinlein's "Double Star" - and one of my favorite books, Sterling's "Conquistador", is surprisingly political, as the alternate world society is pretty thoroughly laid out, and is patterned after the Southern Agrarians. Admittedly it's not a political system likely to arise here, and it's not really sustainable even in an alternate earth, but it is a political system and it is well described.
Wolffan
2019-08-03 15:25:54 UTC
"21 Best Political Science Fiction Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-political-science-fiction-books/
I have read 10 of the 21. Wow, the books were published from 1924 to
2016, nice list. And one could argue that every one of Cory Doctorow's
books is a political commentary.
Lynn
I’ve read 14 of 21. One more I’ve heard of but have no intention of
reading. Four I’ve never heard of. One is in the ’to read’ pile.

I’d have had three more RAH books on the list: _Starship Troopers_ (go on,
tell me that it wasn’t ‘political’, I double-dog dare you...), _Double
Star_, and _Beyond This Horizon_. Also two more Cherryth books: _Cyteen_ and
_Serpents Reach_.
m***@sky.com
I would classify any book which describes the workings of a society in any detail as political, and this definitely includes "Starship Troopers". I dare say there are many others that could be usefully listed in this category that I can't think of. I considered adding Cyteen to my response, but decided that the societies described there were sufficiently different from anything we are likely to see in real life that I didn't have the courage.
Robert Carnegie
2019-08-03 16:20:49 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
"21 Best Political Science Fiction Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-political-science-fiction-books/
I have read 10 of the 21. Wow, the books were published from 1924 to
2016, nice list. And one could argue that every one of Cory Doctorow's
books is a political commentary.
Lynn
I’ve read 14 of 21. One more I’ve heard of but have no intention of
reading. Four I’ve never heard of. One is in the ’to read’ pile.
I’d have had three more RAH books on the list: _Starship Troopers_ (go on,
tell me that it wasn’t ‘political’, I double-dog dare you...), _Double
Star_, and _Beyond This Horizon_. Also two more Cherryth books: _Cyteen_ and
_Serpents Reach_.
It doesn't say in what sense "best". It may therefore
mean nothing whatsoever, but another interpretation
is of each author's best book on the subject. It also
may be the site's convention, did we explore that before?

By the way, you and she both misspelled "Cherry". :-)
Default User
2019-08-03 19:59:34 UTC
Nine for me. Surprised it's that high.

The Space Merchants
by Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth- 1953

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
by Robert A. Heinlein – 1966

Downbelow Station
by C.J. Cherryh – 1981

Jennifer Government
by Max Barry – 2002

Foundation
by Issac Asimov – 1951

Cat’s Cradle
by Kurt Vonnegut – 1963

Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley – 1932

Dune
by Frank Herbert – 1965

1984
by George Orwell – 1949
David DeLaney
2019-08-04 13:39:12 UTC
"21 Best Political Science Fiction Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-political-science-fiction-books/
I have read 10 of the 21. Wow, the books were published from 1924 to
2016, nice list. And one could argue that every one of Cory Doctorow's
books is a political commentary.
... I see Dan has never read Ada Palmer's relatively-new series that starts
with _Too Like the Lightning_. He'd have it somewhere in his top ten, I
think.

Dave, politics can take many forms, but this is the pure-quill stuff
Martin
2019-08-11 17:23:35 UTC
Doc Smith's _First Lensman_ has a political subplot with Rod Kinnison running for President of North America.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-08-11 17:35:07 UTC
Post by Martin
Doc Smith's _First Lensman_ has a political subplot with Rod Kinnison
running for President of North America.
de Camp's "The Wheels Of If" has an American veteran of big city
machine politics educate the naive locals of an alternate timeline
in how important being the "Secretary" is..