The Swan Eaters: 1941 in Eastern Europe
2019-10-23 18:53:56 UTC
The Swan Eaters: 1941 in Eastern Europe
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/10/23

What could go wrong ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa

2019-10-23 22:05:36 UTC
The Swan Eaters: 1941 in Eastern Europe
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/10/23
What could go wrong ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa
Y'know, it had been mentioned earlier in the strip that they were
in the late 1930s, early 1940s somewhere.

But when I saw the symbol in the center, it hit me hard.

I find it difficult to believe that anywhere in Europe, even wandering
entertainers who are rather weird wouldn't recognize that mark in
1941. Oh well, willing suspension of disbelief, else I wouldn't
believe in Granny or Wigglesworth either.
Joy Beeson
2019-10-24 05:22:49 UTC
I find it difficult to believe that anywhere in Europe, even wandering
entertainers who are rather weird wouldn't recognize that mark in
1941. Oh well, willing suspension of disbelief, else I wouldn't
believe in Granny or Wigglesworth either.
A five-year-old wandering entertainer might not recognize it. But
surely it would be easy enough to discribe, and Granny would recognize
a fylfot even if she didn't yet know it had been desecrated.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-10-24 15:49:06 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I find it difficult to believe that anywhere in Europe, even wandering
entertainers who are rather weird wouldn't recognize that mark in
1941. Oh well, willing suspension of disbelief, else I wouldn't
believe in Granny or Wigglesworth either.
A five-year-old wandering entertainer might not recognize it. But
surely it would be easy enough to discribe, and Granny would recognize
a fylfot even if she didn't yet know it had been desecrated.
OTOH there isn't a whole lot that Granny doesn't know. Unless
she's so busy observing the other worlds that she hasn't paid
much attention to this one for the last ten years or so.
2019-10-24 18:41:52 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I find it difficult to believe that anywhere in Europe, even wandering
entertainers who are rather weird wouldn't recognize that mark in
1941. Oh well, willing suspension of disbelief, else I wouldn't
believe in Granny or Wigglesworth either.
A five-year-old wandering entertainer might not recognize it. But
surely it would be easy enough to discribe, and Granny would recognize
a fylfot even if she didn't yet know it had been desecrated.
OTOH there isn't a whole lot that Granny doesn't know. Unless
she's so busy observing the other worlds that she hasn't paid
much attention to this one for the last ten years or so.
These people are living in Russia in a covered wagon, getting chased
from town to town. Gypsies are not very popular in Europe, even today
(I've seen their homes on the edge of German villages and been told
those were for transient Gypsies). Prior to the split between Hitler
and Stalin in 1941 (see Operation Barbarossa), did the average Russian
care about the Germans, French, and British fighting ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa

2019-10-25 04:52:42 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I am not certain that the Soviet Union would had tolerated anybody
wondering around at will (of course, Granny might had fogged some minds).
2019-10-25 11:21:43 UTC
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 21:52:42 -0700, Robert Woodward
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
In Russia, the Soviet Union, or I believe under the Czar as well, one
needed to either show papers or get official permission to move from
town to town.

The Soviets started to do away with this and then went back to old
habits.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-10-25 05:20:33 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I find it difficult to believe that anywhere in Europe, even wandering
entertainers who are rather weird wouldn't recognize that mark in
1941. Oh well, willing suspension of disbelief, else I wouldn't
believe in Granny or Wigglesworth either.
A five-year-old wandering entertainer might not recognize it. But
surely it would be easy enough to discribe, and Granny would recognize
a fylfot even if she didn't yet know it had been desecrated.
OTOH there isn't a whole lot that Granny doesn't know. Unless
she's so busy observing the other worlds that she hasn't paid
much attention to this one for the last ten years or so.
These people are living in Russia in a covered wagon, getting chased
from town to town.
They're in Russia? Somehow I didn't notice that. That could
explain a few things, although I'd have thought they
(particularly Granny and the other magic-users) would have
overheard a few things.
2019-10-26 20:12:31 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
The gypsy family does not strike me as newspaper readers. In fact, I am
not sure that they can read. And being on the run from village to
village, life is tough.

2019-10-28 19:04:47 UTC
[...]
Lynn
And maybe Granny is going to hex the Nazis.
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/10/28

2019-10-28 19:45:53 UTC
[...]
More power to her!

And while we're at it, just who are the people we've been seeing
in the last couple of strips? They're in Nazi uniform, but they
are talking about *other* people who've had their minds wiped:
that is, wiped by somebody other than Adolf and crew. (Pot, meet
kettle.)
2019-10-28 20:53:30 UTC
[...]
Serbians ? Transylvanians ? Austrians ? Hungarians ? Romanians ?
Ukrainians ? Many other choices there.