Say a Little Prayer for New Orleans
Jonathan
2021-08-27 22:03:18 UTC
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

BIG LIE From Wiki - "The German expression was coined by Adolf Hitler
when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, to describe the use of a lie
so *colossal* that no one would believe that someone "could have the
impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie
Kevrob
2021-08-28 03:58:51 UTC
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
--
Not everybody thinks praying is a reasonable thing to do.
Jonathan
2021-08-28 10:31:01 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
--
Not everybody thinks praying is a reasonable thing to do.
I consider god and nature to be one in the same.
So my prayer, borrowing from Emily, might go
something like this...

In the name of the trees
And of the oceans
And of the breeze, amen!

Belief can be a powerful thing, just
the placebo effect alone for instance.
And peace of mind can push one to have
a better diet, less stress, be friendlier
and so on all with their own benefits
in health, work and home.

"This World is not Conclusion.
A Sequel stands beyond -
Invisible, as Music -
But positive, as Sound -
It beckons, and it baffles -
Philosophy, don't know -
And through a Riddle, at the last -
Sagacity, must go -
To guess it, puzzles scholars -
To gain it, Men have borne
Contempt of Generations
And Crucifixion, shown -
Faith slips - and laughs, and rallies -
Blushes, if any see -
Plucks at a twig of Evidence -
And asks a Vane, the way -
Much Gesture, from the Pulpit -
Strong Hallelujahs roll -
Narcotics cannot still the Tooth
That nibbles at the soul"
Kevrob
2021-08-29 03:23:21 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Kevrob
Post by Jonathan
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
--
Not everybody thinks praying is a reasonable thing to do.
I consider god and nature to be one in the same.
One and the same? Pantheism, or panentheism, then.
I'm not a fan. You'd be praying to yourself, wouldn't you?
It'd make more sense to go join the Cajun Navy, or just
donate to the Red Cross.

People tolerate all sorts of religious views here, and the
absence of same. Telling people to follow a particular
religious practice is a bit much.

"Sacrifice a goat to placate Manannán mac Lir, so that
the sea doesn't harm Louisianans...."

Naw. {Now, if one is allowed to barbecue the goat, and serve out
portions to the "congregation," that might do some good. }
$X a plate, donated to storm relief.
Jonathan
2021-08-29 09:20:39 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
Ouch!
And in the eastern half you add the forward motion
to the wind speed and then add the gusts on top.

Right now 140 + 15 + 25 = 180 in the NW quadrant
of the storm. You'd see less wind strapped to the
wing of a jet on takeoff and landing.

But on the jet there wouldn't be any trees, roofs
or pick-up trucks to dodge.

Most I've seen is 115 during Wilma, and that
was more then enough for me.
Kevrob
2021-08-29 13:12:42 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
Ouch!
And in the eastern half you add the forward motion
to the wind speed and then add the gusts on top.
Right now 140 + 15 + 25 = 180 in the NW quadrant
of the storm. You'd see less wind strapped to the
wing of a jet on takeoff and landing.
But on the jet there wouldn't be any trees, roofs
or pick-up trucks to dodge.
Most I've seen is 115 during Wilma, and that
was more then enough for me.
--
Two feet of rain and a 16 foot storm surge: not pretty!

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_9614761a-08ab-11ec-bb9a-b3f0f9bbddcc.html

{Times-Picayune website}
Wolffan
2021-08-29 13:29:51 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
Hurricane Ida they say could be a Cat 3 or even 4
by the time it hits the coast sometime late this
weekend. Katrina was a 3.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000
x1000.gif
Ouch!
And in the eastern half you add the forward motion
to the wind speed and then add the gusts on top.
Right now 140 + 15 + 25 = 180 in the NW quadrant
of the storm. You'd see less wind strapped to the
wing of a jet on takeoff and landing.
But on the jet there wouldn't be any trees, roofs
or pick-up trucks to dodge.
Most I've seen is 115 during Wilma, and that
was more then enough for me.
Wilma was a baby, just barely over the limit to Cat 3. Ida is Cat 4. Cat 4
hurricanes are full-out monsters. Even a Cat 3 can be pretty bad, far worse
than Cat 2s or 1s, but Cat 4s are _serious_. It could be worse, it could be a
Cat 5. You really don’t want to be anywhere near a Cat 5. Cat 5s include
Andrew, Gilbert, Hugo, Katrina, Camille... I was in Gilbert and near-missed
by Hugo. 155 mph sustained, 165 to 175 mph gusts. If you’ve never seen a
Cat 4 or 5 you have no idea of what they can do.

I hope that the authorities in Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama are
better prepared this time than they were for Katrina. Then, Jeb Bush in
Florida had more National Guardsmen called up than Louisiana and Alabama
combined, despite the fact that the storm wasn’t going to hit Florida. The
first search and rescue into southern Alabama were Florida Fish & Wildlife
cops; it took literal days for Alabama responders to make it in. But then Jeb
Bush was competent. The current leadership in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi,
Louisiana... not so much. Hell, _GW_ Bush was more competent than those
bozos. Especially DeathSantis in Florida. I never thought that the day would
come when I’d want Rick ‘Skeletor’ Scott back...
Kevrob
2021-08-29 15:26:38 UTC
On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 9:29:59 AM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:

[snip]
Post by Wolffan
Wilma was a baby, just barely over the limit to Cat 3. Ida is Cat 4. Cat 4
hurricanes are full-out monsters. Even a Cat 3 can be pretty bad, far worse
than Cat 2s or 1s, but Cat 4s are _serious_. It could be worse, it could be a
Cat 5. You really don’t want to be anywhere near a Cat 5. Cat 5s include
Andrew, Gilbert, Hugo, Katrina, Camille... I was in Gilbert and near-missed
by Hugo. 155 mph sustained, 165 to 175 mph gusts. If you’ve never seen a
Cat 4 or 5 you have no idea of what they can do.
[snip]

It looks like Ida will be _almost_ a Cat 5:

[quote]

Hurricane Ida almost at Cat 5 strength as it approaches Louisiana on
Hurricane Katrina anniversary {headline}

Hurricane Ida now has winds of 150 mph and is approaching Category 5
strength, forecasters with the National Hurricane Center said in a 6 a.m.
update. Category 5 storms have winds of 157 mph or greater.

The storm is forecast to make landfall later Sunday, which also is
the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

[/quote] - https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_9614761a-08ab-11ec-bb9a-b3f0f9bbddcc.html

Woof! No, thank you!
Thomas Koenig
2021-08-29 17:05:10 UTC
Hurricane Ida now has winds of 150 mph and is approaching Category 5
strength, forecasters with the National Hurricane Center said in a 6 a.m.
update. Category 5 storms have winds of 157 mph or greater.
157 mph is around 70 m/s, or a dynamic pressure of around 3000 N/m^2,
or (to you across the pond) around 0.43 pounds force per square foot.

That's a lot.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Paul S Person
2021-08-29 16:17:57 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
[...]
Wasn't it Katrina where FEMA didn't move for a week because the
(Republican) Governor (of Louisiana, IIRC) didn't want to request
Federal aid?

Something about not taking hand-outs, IIRC.

All I know is that my final LES (the one with the accrued Annual Leave
payout details) was never printed and sent because the office doing so
was under water and the people in charge decided they'd be doing good
to get back up for the /next/ one. I had to download an online copy.
(I couldn't get it at the office because I was retired and there
really was no "office" to get it from, at least, not without a lot of
hassle.)
Wolffan
2021-08-29 16:58:20 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Wolffan
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
[...]
yep
Post by Paul S Person
Something about not taking hand-outs, IIRC.
yep.

He was the ex-governor at the next election. Gee. I wonder why.

The (Dem) mayor of New Orleans was about as bad. He had 39 buses to evacuate
the city. He got convicted by the Feds of all kinds of corruption, several
years after leaving office.

A friend of mine was in the Florida Guard at the time. He was in a Guard
truck, heading for Atlanta (Jeb had had a word with the governor of Georgia)
to pick up supplies, before Katrina hit, and Jeb Bush didn’t wait to be
asked for help, he just sent it and pretty much dared Alabama and Louisiana
to stop his guys. Jeb had 6000+ Guardsmen ready; Alabama had 2000, Louisiana
3000. Or maybe it was Alabama with 3k and Louisiana with 2k. Doesn’t
matter, Jeb had more standing to than both combined. Jeb was many things. An
idiot wasn’t one of them. Jeb’s brother was ’shocked’ when
Louisiana’s governor deliberately kept the coastal parishes out of the
request for a state of emergency. Jeb sent his boys, request or no request.
George had his boys ready, he just couldn’t go in.

I remember Gilbert and Hugo; the RN guardships for the area were in Kingston
and Plymouth, respectively, harbours in less than 24 hours, flying their
helos despite still bad weather conditions. The USN could have been in New
Orleans even faster, but were prevented by political idiots. (Plymouth’s
gone now, buried under lava from a nearby volcano. The RN guardship flew
search and rescue missions then, too.)
hassle.)
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-31 01:29:46 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Wolffan
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
[...]
The Governor of Louisiana during Katrina was Democrat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Blanco

2021-08-31 16:06:15 UTC
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:29:46 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Wolffan
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
[...]
Correction accepted.

It was the /Dem/ gov who behaved as described.
Wolffan
2021-09-01 10:25:38 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Wolffan
Post by Jonathan
Post by Jonathan
[...]
Lynn
And she was still a bloody idiot. She managed to make George look good (until
the “Good job, Brownie” comment, anyway) and Jeb look better.
Kevrob
2021-09-02 01:45:29 UTC
[snip]
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
The Governor of Louisiana during Katrina was Democrat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Blanco
Lynn
And she was still a bloody idiot. She managed to make George look good (until
the “Good job, Brownie” comment, anyway) and Jeb look better.
The remnants of Ida have run up into New England,causing flooding in
many places along its route. Here in CT we not only have flash flood
warnings, but tornado warnings.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Ida-remnants-bring-heavy-rain-gusty-winds-to-CT-16427724.php?

Rain came down hard enough to rattle the DirecTV dish, so that the
signal was patchy or lost. DSL is working, though.

Making "semi-home-made" pizza tonight. Bought some dough, sauce,
cheese and toppings before Henri visited. Luckily, he didn't stay for dinner.
Should be done....now!

{sfx: nom, nom, nom! }
2021-09-02 02:15:52 UTC
[snip]
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
We left DirecTV almost two years ago when they tried to up our monthly
rate from $140 to $150. Plus tax. I shipped the two DVRs to them and
threw away the rest of the crap. No more rain fade !

All we do is stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and Fubo TV. It was
less than $50/month until I got the $70/month Fubo so I could watch the
Astros.

2021-09-02 02:28:04 UTC
On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 21:15:52 -0500, Lynn McGuire
[snip]
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
One of these days I gotta tell Cox to cut off the TV. I haven't
actually watched any content carried by Cox in years.
Kevrob
2021-09-02 04:07:38 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
My landlord put the dishes in. We had Cox before that, and they infuriated
him. The TV signal is included in the rent.
All we do is stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and Fubo TV. It was
less than $50/month until I got the $70/month Fubo so I could watch the
Astros.
Couldn't you just have wired up a trash can lid? :)

{Let's Go, Mets!}
Post by J. Clarke
One of these days I gotta tell Cox to cut off the TV. I haven't
actually watched any content carried by Cox in years.
I'm getting the Ch 8 {New Haven} news/weather on my laptop,
from their website. Rain's coming down at 3.5" in per hour.
New York closed the subways. They did that during Sandy, and
for awhile in the pandemic, but that's really unusual.

I've got gobs of DVRed content I can watch without the dish,
and as long as the DSL stays up I can download more. I live on
the side of a hill in a river valley, but the OTA signals can't make
it over the ridge to any antenna I could hang, so, except for some
PBS signals I can't get any TV w/o cable or satellite. I might upgrade
from DSL to fiber-optic, since my area has just been opened up for
that.

8,500 customers in CT are w/o power as of 11 pm. Not a patch
on what the folks in LA are going through, of course.

Pizza notes: Spinella's dough, made in Waterbury CT, bought at the
ShopRite; Don Pepino's sauce - only Jersey Tomatoes!; shredded mozz;
turkey pepperoni & tinned anchovy. Baked on a pizza stone. Parchment
paper between the dough & the stone. Our oven tops out at 500 F/260 F.
Takes 15-20 minutes at that temp. With a pizza stone or steel you actually
get crisp crust.
2021-09-02 02:26:22 UTC
[snip]
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
The Governor of Louisiana during Katrina was Democrat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Blanco
Lynn
And she was still a bloody idiot. She managed to make George look good (until
the “Good job, Brownie” comment, anyway) and Jeb look better.
The remnants of Ida have run up into New England,causing flooding in
many places along its route. Here in CT we not only have flash flood
warnings, but tornado warnings.
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Ida-remnants-bring-heavy-rain-gusty-winds-to-CT-16427724.php?
Rain came down hard enough to rattle the DirecTV dish, so that the
signal was patchy or lost. DSL is working, though.
I don't think it's rattling the dish, I think that's it's just that
there's too much water between the dish and the satellite for the
signla to punch through. Mine used to do the same any time there was
a heavy rain, back when I had DirecTV.
Post by Kevrob
Making "semi-home-made" pizza tonight. Bought some dough, sauce,
cheese and toppings before Henri visited. Luckily, he didn't stay for dinner.
Should be done....now!
{sfx: nom, nom, nom! }
I should do more of that. (the semi-home made part--I nom too much
now).
Dorothy J Heydt
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Kevrob