Ping Ryk Spoor - Montana fighting dinosaur fossils
Add Reply
a425couple
2019-11-11 17:08:27 UTC
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-montana-dinosaur-fossil-mineral-fight-20191107-xh2qteizl5a5znnztzs756br3q-story.html

'Millions of dollars are at stake for a Montana ranching couple after
the discovery of two fossilized ‘dueling dinosaur’ skeletons
By AMY BETH HANSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS |
NOV 07, 2019 | 3:59 PM
| HELENA, MONT.

One of two "dueling dinosaur" fossils is displayed in New York.

The discovery of two fossilized dinosaur skeletons intertwined in what
looks like a final death match could make a Montana ranching couple rich
beyond their dreams. Or they may have to share the wealth.

It all comes down to how the state Supreme Court answers a seemingly
simple question: Are fossils minerals? The Montana justices heard
arguments Thursday but did not rule right away.

The outcome is key to a dispute over ownership of the "dueling
dinosaurs," worth more than $5 million, and distribution of millions of
dollars in proceeds from the sale of other fossils unearthed from clay
and sandstone in a fossil-rich area of central Montana.

While someone can own what's on top of a piece of land, others can own
material like oil, gas and coal that's found below the surface. In
property sales, an owner can keep some or all of those below-surface
mineral rights.

Mary Ann and Lige Murray own the surface rights and one-third of the
mineral rights on the ranch near the tiny town of Jordan, while brothers
Jerry and Robert Severson own two-thirds of the mineral rights after a
2005 property sale. Neither side expected to find fossils on the
property, and they're not mentioned in the contract, court documents show.

A few months later, amateur paleontologist Clayton Phipps discovered a
22-foot-long carnivorous theropod and a 28-foot-long plant-eating
ceratopsian believed to have died 66 million years ago. Imprints of the
dinosaurs’ skin were found in the sediment.

When the Murrays went to sell the "dueling dinosaurs" for what they
hoped would be at least $6 million, potential buyers wanted assurances
they owned the fossils. The Murrays sought a court ruling.

Both sides have seen rulings in their favor as the case has made its way
through four courts since 2013."
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2019-11-21 11:27:03 UTC
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
Well, in Boundary it was dinosaurs fighting an alien.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
a425couple
2019-11-22 17:18:18 UTC
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
    Well, in Boundary it was dinosaurs fighting an alien.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you might want to read the
short story "Jupiter V" by Arthur C. Clarke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Five
especially the section on "Influence"
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2019-11-24 22:05:19 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
     Well, in Boundary it was dinosaurs fighting an alien.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you might want to read the
short story "Jupiter V" by Arthur C. Clarke.
Pretty sure I read that one, as I read an awful lot of Clarke's output.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-25 02:48:58 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
    Well, in Boundary it was dinosaurs fighting an alien.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you might want to read the
short story "Jupiter V" by Arthur C. Clarke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Five
especially the section on "Influence"
Is that the one where that moon’s gravity was so low that two or three people
were able to pick up their space craft and move it?

Peter Wezeman
Anti-social Darwinist
a425couple
2019-11-25 15:01:07 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by a425couple
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
    Well, in Boundary it was dinosaurs fighting an alien.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you might want to read the
short story "Jupiter V" by Arthur C. Clarke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Five
especially the section on "Influence"
Is that the one where that moon’s gravity was so low that two or three people
were able to pick up their space craft and move it?
Peter Wezeman
Anti-social Darwinist
Yes.
Jupiter V's pull is so low that the 5 crew were
able to lift and move their space craft.
The story has a much earlier advanced alien species / culture
come to our solar system and rule, then go extinct.
We only missed the 'Alien' / human contact by 5 million years.
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-25 21:23:31 UTC
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-montana-dinosaur-fossil-mineral-fight-20191107-xh2qteizl5a5znnztzs756br3q-story.html
It just occurred to me that the "Montana Fighting Dinosaurs" would be a good
name for the athletic teams at Montana State University.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Kevrob
2019-11-25 22:59:36 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by a425couple
Ping Ryk Spoor -
did you see this one?
It has what you & Flint described, Montana fighting dinosaurs.
Was that part of the story in "Boundary" from you
or Flint?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-montana-dinosaur-fossil-mineral-fight-20191107-xh2qteizl5a5znnztzs756br3q-story.html
It just occurred to me that the "Montana Fighting Dinosaurs" would be a good
name for the athletic teams at Montana State University.
U of Montana are the Grizzlies.

MSU would have to be the "Montana _State_ Fighting Dinosaurs."

Now, when they played each other, it would be "who would win, a
Grizzly or a Dinosaur," like an episode of "Animal Face-off,"
were Dinos not extinct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Face-Off

Dinosaurs would be an upgrade from Bobcats.