YASIS:Fleeing Sol's Nova (maybe with unicorns)
2019-05-09 16:04:00 UTC
I read this book in the early '70s, probably a library hardback, but maybe it was a Scholastic Book Club paperback.  It was illustrated, and aimed at the juveniles.

We found out with short warning that the Sun was going to blow up, and began loading things onto space arks to leave.  While searching for samples of Nature, we found--I think--a unicorn.   The book may have had it some more common cryptozoological type; a species of ibex or something, and my mind, even younger than the target audience, could only conceive it as "unicorn."  In any event, it was not magical, and played no role in the story besides a morale lift for the chapter.
-Jack
a***@msn.com
2019-05-09 22:10:14 UTC
This sounds a bit like William Tenn's novelette "The Custodian" which has been collected a number of times (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45595). The story is described here (and doesn't mention the unicorn) https://thelastmanonearth.blogspot.com/2008/06/custodian-william-tenn-1955.html
Jack Bohn
2019-05-10 14:14:46 UTC
This sounds a bit like William Tenn's novelette "The Custodian" which has been collected a number of times (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45595).  The story is described here (and doesn't mention the >unicorn) https://thelastmanonearth.blogspot.com/2008/06/custodian-william-tenn-1955.html
None of the book covers strike a memory, and the story doesn't sound like what I remember (not just the lack of a unicorn, who -if I read a story in a collection, may have been in another story- but too much debate and post-flight action. Still, a secondary purpose was to gather unexpected nova/abandon Earth stories, so thanks.
--
-Jack