Gentlemen, Be Standed!
2018-08-31 18:30:05 UTC
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7139674/nasa-leak-international-space-station-meteorite/

European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst reportedly
put his finger over the hole initially, before crew patched
it with tape.

The leak was detected on Wednesday night, possibly from a
micrometeorite strike when it caused a small drop in cabin
pressure.

It was traced to a hole about 2 millimetres across in a
capsule docked at the space station.

During a live feed from the ISS, Nasa's ground control were
heard to comment: "Right now Alex has got his finger on
that hole and I don't think that's the best remedy for it."

No, he's not Dutch.
2018-08-31 19:45:33 UTC
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7139674/nasa-leak-international-space-station-meteorite/
European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst reportedly
put his finger over the hole initially, before crew patched
it with tape.
The leak was detected on Wednesday night, possibly from a
micrometeorite strike when it caused a small drop in cabin
pressure.
It was traced to a hole about 2 millimetres across in a
capsule docked at the space station.
During a live feed from the ISS, Nasa's ground control were
heard to comment: "Right now Alex has got his finger on
that hole and I don't think that's the best remedy for it."
No, he's not Dutch.
Umm...

Not quite a comparable story: either British
television's "Channel Five", or digital terrestrial
switch-over, had to visit every home, at least if
requested, to check and advise and assist in getting
equipment suitable for the new situation. Digital
was liable to require a better antenna, and domestic
video recorders, when the fifth channel was launched,
tended to generate their own analogue signal to the TV
on a frequency close to the proposed broadcast - most
could be adjusted.

Anyway, in one home, the engineer examined the TV
and found a sausage inserted in the socket for the
antenna.

The householder explained that he found the TV worked
when he stuck his finger in that hole - but he got
bored doing that, so...

Of course, you could buy a purpose-designed antenna;
but it is likely that you own a sausage already.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-08-31 21:06:57 UTC
[...]
One hopes the householder at least replaced the old sausages as they got
moldy.
lal_truckee
2018-09-02 16:19:53 UTC
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7139674/nasa-leak-international-space-station-meteorite/
European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst reportedly
put his finger over the hole initially, before crew patched
it with tape.
The leak was detected on Wednesday night, possibly from a
micrometeorite strike when it caused a small drop in cabin
pressure.
It was traced to a hole about 2 millimetres across in a
capsule docked at the space station.
During a live feed from the ISS, Nasa's ground control were
heard to comment: "Right now Alex has got his finger on
that hole and I don't think that's the best remedy for it."
No, he's not Dutch.
Jeesuss. And you guys call yourselves fans of written science fiction.
Doncha know it's traditional to plug a vacuum leak with a human body part.
I give you Fatso Konski's butt, featured in Heinlein's story "Gentlemen,
Be Seated."
Or maybe they'll augment with a secondary tradition and shove a surplus
boy scout uniform in the hole, as specified in "Farmer in the Sky."
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-09-02 16:36:04 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Um, you *did* notice the title of this post, yes?
2018-09-03 19:51:55 UTC
Um, you *did* notice the title of this post, yes?
I'm not that poster, but some of us seldom notice thread titles. I've
missed a lot of humor hinting that way over the years. THIS time I
did see it.
2018-09-02 16:40:19 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
That would require (God forbid) a much larger hole.
nuny@bid.nes
2018-09-04 16:41:11 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
No, no- just the uniform, no Boy Scout.

Mark L. Fergerson
Joy Beeson
2018-09-07 17:20:30 UTC
That would require (God forbid) a much larger hole.
Which reminds me of a joke about a leak in Noah's ark.

The punch line was "That's why dogs have cold noses, women have cold
feet, and men always back up to the fire."

Must have been a very old joke when I heard it in the forties.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com
Titus G
2018-09-07 21:09:20 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
That would require (God forbid) a much larger hole.
Which reminds me of a joke about a leak in Noah's ark.
The punch line was "That's why dogs have cold noses, women have cold
feet, and men always back up to the fire."
...women have cold elbows,.....
Post by Joy Beeson
Must have been a very old joke when I heard it in the forties.
I hadn't heard it but found the poem _The 'Ole in the Ark_ here:
https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-ole-in-the-ark/