_The Girl at the End of the World_ by Richard Levesque
2018-03-20 05:37:01 UTC
_The Girl at the End of the World_ by Richard Levesque
https://www.amazon.com/Girl-at-End-World/dp/1491276932/

A solitary book about a young adult plague based apocalypse, no sequel,
no prequel. I read the well printed and bound trade POD (print on
demand) paperback.

A 15 year old girl survives a horrible plague with a 99.999% fatality
rate in Los Angeles. Some of her fellow survivors are nice and some are
not. This is the story of Scarlett Fisher living in a corpse strewn
world, just trying to survive.

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (126 reviews)

2018-03-21 04:06:48 UTC
_The Girl at the End of the World_ by Richard Levesque
https://www.amazon.com/Girl-at-End-World/dp/1491276932/
A solitary book about a young adult plague based apocalypse, no sequel,
no prequel. I read the well printed and bound trade POD (print on
demand) paperback.
A 15 year old girl survives a horrible plague with a 99.999% fatality
rate in Los Angeles. Some of her fellow survivors are nice and some are
not. This is the story of Scarlett Fisher living in a corpse strewn
world, just trying to survive.
My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (126 reviews)
If the theme for March is children facing the apocalypse ...

I'm trying and failing to remember the title of a short story and its
expansion into a novel featuring a high-intelligence young teen or
preteen who survives a mega-plague. At the end of the short story,
she encounters a mid-teen boy who rescues her from a automotive
disaster he set off. The novel continues from there, but I remember
little of it.

I think that the novel had a one-word title.

I think that the survivors were all highly intelligent, and both their
IQ and their immunity to this latest plague were related to being
grandkids of people infected by the Spanish flu.

The original story was in Analog.
2018-03-21 04:28:36 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
David R. Palmer, Emergence
2018-03-21 04:47:32 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
That is _Emergence_ by David Palmer which I think was mentioned
elsewhere in the thread. BTW, I believe the original short story ends
with her leaving her shelter and going on the road. Meeting the other
surviver was a second story, "Seeking". Nothing else written by him is
worth the effort (including the novel length extension of those 2
stories).
Magewolf
2018-03-21 22:08:42 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I don't know, skimming Threshold just for the WTFness and seeing someone
set their career on fire and dance in the ashes is not a complete waste
of time.