Resublimated Asimov
2021-08-02 18:05:44 UTC
OK, I don't understand this at all, but you know where my mind went:

www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
2021-08-02 19:42:10 UTC
No, I don't understand it either (so I've forwarded it to Hal),
and no, I don't know where your mind went.
The time crystal basically defies the second law of thermodynamics.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-02 23:14:29 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
No, I don't understand it either (so I've forwarded it to Hal),
and no, I don't know where your mind went.
The time crystal basically defies the second law of thermodynamics.
Okay. Richard Lupoff wrote a book once (I have carefully
forgotten the title) in which he defied all three.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Michael F. Stemper
2021-08-02 20:05:25 UTC
No, I don't understand it either (so I've forwarded it to Hal),
and no, I don't know where your mind went.
His mind most likely went to:
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?68253>
--
Michael F. Stemper
There's no "me" in "team". There's no "us" in "team", either.
Ross Presser
2021-08-02 20:06:29 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
--
His mind went to Isaac Asimov's writings on thiotimoline:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline
properties or uses of thiotimoline.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-02 23:15:11 UTC
No, I don't understand it either (so I've forwarded it to Hal),
and no, I don't know where your mind went.
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline
Thiotimoline is a fictitious chemical compound conceived by American
biochemist
and science fiction author Isaac Asimov. It was first described in a
spoof scientific
paper titled "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline"
in 1948. The
major peculiarity of the chemical is its "endochronicity": it starts
dissolving before it
makes contact with water.
Asimov went on to write three additional short stories, each
describing different
properties or uses of thiotimoline.
And I read them all. Lovely stuff.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-02 20:17:28 UTC
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
Anything mentioning perpetual motion goes into the bit bucket
immediately with me. I am a firm believer in entropy.

2021-08-02 22:01:30 UTC
Anything mentioning perpetual motion goes into the bit bucket
immediately with me. I am a firm believer in entropy.
Don't worry. There is an outside energy input.

Therefore, time crystals don't violate thermodynamics any
more than evolution does.

2021-08-03 00:08:25 UTC
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
Anything mentioning perpetual motion goes into the bit bucket
immediately with me.  I am a firm believer in entropy.
But does entropy believe in you?
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-03 02:33:22 UTC
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
Anything mentioning perpetual motion goes into the bit bucket
immediately with me.  I am a firm believer in entropy.
But does entropy believe in you?
Definitely. I am definitely not the man I was 20 years ago.

2021-08-02 21:58:18 UTC
and no, I don't know where your mind went.
To the series of stories by Isaac Asimov which began with "The Endochronic
Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline", of course!

2021-08-02 22:02:54 UTC
OK, I don't understand this at all,
I don't blame you. The article totally made a hash of any technical content
it presumed to include. Try starting here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

2021-08-03 00:18:17 UTC
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
I think I understood it just as well as the person who wrote it.
Dimensional Traveler
2021-08-03 03:46:10 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
I think I understood it just as well as the person who wrote it.
I got the impression that even the people who think they might have
found it don't really understand it.
Bill Gill
2021-08-03 13:12:00 UTC
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
The first time I saw mention of time crystals I immediately thought;
"That's not new Asimov wrote a paper about time crystals back in the
50s."

Bill
Don
2021-08-03 16:15:23 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
www.yahoo.com/entertainment/google-time-crystal-discovery-big-170941870.html
The first time I saw mention of time crystals I immediately thought;
"That's not new Asimov wrote a paper about time crystals back in the
50s."
Chris Smith's story at the link plays it straight with story originally
written by _Financial Times_ contributor Tristan Greene:

https://thenextweb.com/news/google-may-have-achieved-breakthrough-time-crystals

Perhaps Greene already knew about thiotimoline when he wrote his
article. Regardless, at times, Greene's prose packs a Golden Age punch:

At the far-fetched, super-optimistic end of things - we could
see the creation of a working warp drive in our lifetimes.
Imagine taking a trip to Mars or the edge of our solar system,
and being back home on Earth in time to catch the evening news.

But, why stop short? Is this the true limit of Greene's imagination?
If he's going to kick the second law of thermodynamics to the curb, the
least he can do is throw time travel fen a bone:

"You, Lucy, shall be the victim of entropy!" he said
softly. "Naturally, you don't know what entropy is, do you?"
"You know I don't!" she shrieked. "Bryce, stop torturing
me like this. Let me go!"
"Entropy," he stated calmly, as though delivering a
lecture, "is the increasing disorder of the universe, the
process by which the universe gradually moves towards
thermodynamic equilibrium. It can be likened to a perpetual
shuffling, the disorder getting worse with every shuffle.
Just like disordering a deck of cards when playing bridge
with Reggie and you[r] thin-brained friends."
"Bryce, Bryce, in God's name--"
"If only you had read Eddington while at school you
might know something about entropy," Bryce Field said.
"However, I have made it as clear as I can. Recently--
His tone changed to grim menace-- "I fell into wondering
what would happen if I created a non-entropy state, wherein
nothing ever happened! So I decided to create a specific
area--in this cavern to be exact--wherein the ultimate of
entropy would be reached instantly, instead of in a thousand,
a million, ten million years' time. Do you understand me?
Lucy was beyond answering.
"Yes," he said, his voice harsh with grim triumph, "I
discovered how to create an entropy globe--a globe of force
whose walls have attained absolute equilibrium, whose
vibrations extend inwards to everything inside the globe.
Therefore, whatever is in the globe will be plunged into a
state of non-time. Entropy will be halted. Progress will
stop!
"You," he said slowly, "are going to be in that globe,
Lucy! At your feet is one magnet, at your head another.
Between them they will build up the hemisphere of the
entropy globe, and within it time for you will cease to be.
You will be plunged into an eternal 'now' from which
release may never come--or, if it does, it will be at a far
distant time when scientists as clever as I find the way to
unlock your prison."
"Bryce, I beg of you," Lucy implored huskily. "Let me
go! I'll do anything you want! Anything! I'll divorce
Reggie-- But you can't do this to me! I've so much to live
for. My baby, the future. /You can't do it!/"

"Prisoner of Time" (Cross, May 1942)

There's a titular association in my mind to the very first
_Perry Rhodan_ Ace Ackerman Anglicization read by me, the
„Im Zeit-Gefängnis“ translation.

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php