[translation] Chobits by Clamp
2019-11-06 15:23:47 UTC
Chobits by Clamp

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/youre-the-one
2019-11-08 05:45:59 UTC
Chobits by Clamp
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/youre-the-one
The other people with ordinary persocoms... own machines, and thus I can't
really view what they're doing as wrong, any more than people using sex toys. If
anything, it helps reduce sexual harassment and things like that, I would
expect.

And the protagonist, who has found himself an apparent chobit... is erring on
the side of caution, and assuming, until proven otherwise, that she _is_ a
person worthy of respect.

From that information, it would seem that the squick factor could well be
acceptably low - the issues being addressed may be squicky, but the way they're
being handled appears not to be - and hence it's something reasonable for an
all-woman group to produce. And it's not surprising that they tried to make it
attractive to a male audience in a country whose media does seem to have some
problems in its handling of women - they may be trying to _reach_ young males
and awaken their nobler sentiments!

Thus, I'm inclined to be optimistic about this manga.

John Savard
Juho Julkunen
2019-11-08 14:06:47 UTC
From that information, it would seem that the squick factor could well be
acceptably low - the issues being addressed may be squicky, but the way they're
being handled appears not to be - and hence it's something reasonable for an
all-woman group to produce.
Whew! Glad that's settled. I'll bet CLAMP were on tenterhooks waiting
for your pronouncement.
--
Juho Julkunen