Nightfall (Blood on the Star Book 10) By Jay Allan
2020-04-01 15:39:01 UTC
So this is the 10th book in a series that I find in many ways to be
better than Honor Harrington. Certainly as far as battle scenes go.
But...there's something about it that disturbs me. It's the portrayal
of politicians. Which is to say that the civilian leadership of any
polity in this series are with only two exceptions uniformly cowardly,
incompetent and corrupt. They only ever do the right thing when someone
blackmails them into it with threats of exposure of their criminality or
outright death threats. As for the two exceptions they are the
spymasters of the Union and the Confederation.

The Confederation dude has a large file of criminal activities on the
part of politicians but leaves them in place so he can get his way
through blackmail as opposed to cleaning house and bringing in
politicians he can't control, while the Union dude who just became
dictator is frankly a fool who reacted to learning that the
Confederation had a new enemy, knowing nothing about them, still chose
to provide them with the location of his weakened fleet so that they
could be easily destroyed.

What I'm saying is, that based on internal evidence, it seems clear that
military dictatorship is the only good form of government. In fact the
only good leader in the whole series is in fact a military dictator.
This bothers me.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-04-01 15:51:24 UTC
[...]
It's a not uncommon trope, and gives the military guys another obstacle
to overcome. Even in Honor Harrington, Manticore went through a period
of very inept government (though I don't recall it as actually corrupt).
You can take it further and have of the armed forces corrupt, or at least
incompetent, as well to make things even more difficult..
2020-04-01 18:46:49 UTC
[...]
It was corrupt in Manticore. Several of the so-called Nobles appealed
to the Queen for mercy who, had none.