"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"
2019-11-29 22:46:04 UTC
"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"

https://accordingtohoyt.com/2019/11/29/incoming-the-chicxulub-impactor-part-6-%E2%80%95-now-what-by-stephanie-osborn/

"In the last 600 million years, at least 3 large asteroids have impacted
Earth, sufficient to generate craters of order 100km (60mi) across or
greater. These are Chicxulub (in Yucatan, Mexico), Popigai (in Siberia,
Russia), and Manicouagan (in Quebec, Canada)."

"It means that Chicxulub ISN’T unusual. It isn’t a one-of-a-kind event.
It’s a semi-regular occurrence on geological timescales. It means figure
out what to do NOW, while there’s time, because it IS gonna happen
again. No “might.” No “maybe.” It WILL happen again."

This is what we need to be spending money on. Not this fake global
warming crap.

2019-11-29 23:40:09 UTC
"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"
https://accordingtohoyt.com/2019/11/29/incoming-the-chicxulub-impactor-part-6-%E2%80%95-now-what-by-stephanie-osborn/
"In the last 600 million years, at least 3 large asteroids have impacted
Earth, sufficient to generate craters of order 100km (60mi) across or
greater. These are Chicxulub (in Yucatan, Mexico), Popigai (in Siberia,
Russia), and Manicouagan (in Quebec, Canada)."
"It means that Chicxulub ISN’T unusual. It isn’t a one-of-a-kind event.
It’s a semi-regular occurrence on geological timescales. It means figure
out what to do NOW, while there’s time, because it IS gonna happen
again. No “might.” No “maybe.” It WILL happen again."
This is what we need to be spending money on. Not this fake global
warming crap.
Wrong. Asteroid impact could happen at any time, but global
warming is real and it's already happening.
2019-11-30 00:07:29 UTC
"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"
https://accordingtohoyt.com/2019/11/29/incoming-the-chicxulub-impactor-part-6-%E2%80%95-now-what-by-stephanie-osborn/
"In the last 600 million years, at least 3 large asteroids have impacted
Earth, sufficient to generate craters of order 100km (60mi) across or
greater. These are Chicxulub (in Yucatan, Mexico), Popigai (in Siberia,
Russia), and Manicouagan (in Quebec, Canada)."
"It means that Chicxulub ISN’T unusual. It isn’t a one-of-a-kind event.
It’s a semi-regular occurrence on geological timescales. It means figure
out what to do NOW, while there’s time, because it IS gonna happen
again. No “might.” No “maybe.” It WILL happen again."
This is what we need to be spending money on.  Not this fake global
warming crap.
We already are. The first piece is locating and identifying candidates
which has been in process for a number of years. And since the
observatories are world-wide, its a world-wide effort.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
Peter Trei
2019-11-30 01:52:44 UTC
[...]
https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/faq

About 1/3 the NEO objects over 140 meters are thought to have been discovered.

There's a power law relating numbers of asteroids of a given size. Larger ones
are rarer, but easier to spot. It's likely that we have much better records of
object over 300 meters (which would cause regional havoc), and good coverage
for all objects 1 km and up (which would be global catastrophes).

2019-11-30 02:01:38 UTC
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 17:52:44 -0800 (PST), Peter Trei
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Dimensional Traveler
[...]
Which doesn't help if it comes swooping in from the Oort or even
worse, from interstellar space.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-30 05:36:35 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
No, but if it does, there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Humans who live past the age of 100 are rare, and eventually the
heat death of the universe is going to get us all.
2019-11-30 07:31:03 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
I did know a lady who was 105 but she passed away 2 years ago. My dad
had to take her car keys away when she was 102. BTW, centenarians are
the fastest growing segment.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/21/worlds-centenarian-population-projected-to-grow-eightfold-by-2050/

SpaceX may have a working long range heavy hauler spaceship in 2 to 5
years.

2019-11-30 14:10:36 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Weirdly, there is no unequivical evidence of a comet strike on Earth ever,
although the math says it should have happened. Again, it's a very low
probability event.
2019-11-30 14:57:08 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
How would scientists tell the difference between an asteroid strike and
a comet strike?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
James Nicoll
2019-11-30 16:33:56 UTC
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 17:52:44 -0800 (PST), Peter Trei
On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 7:07:31 PM UTC-5, Dimensional
[...]
Different isotope spikes, I think.
2019-11-30 15:12:23 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
What's the currently leading theory on Tunguska?
2019-11-30 15:41:38 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Well, that probably won't hit us first time.
It's one that settles down in our neighbourhood
that's going to come round to borrow our lawnmower
sometime.
James Nicoll
2019-11-30 03:34:13 UTC
"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"
https://accordingtohoyt.com/2019/11/29/incoming-the-chicxulub-impactor-part-6-%E2%80%95-now-what-by-stephanie-osborn/
"In the last 600 million years, at least 3 large asteroids have impacted
Earth, sufficient to generate craters of order 100km (60mi) across or
greater. These are Chicxulub (in Yucatan, Mexico), Popigai (in Siberia,
Russia), and Manicouagan (in Quebec, Canada)."
"It means that Chicxulub ISN’T unusual. It isn’t a one-of-a-kind event.
It’s a semi-regular occurrence on geological timescales. It means figure
out what to do NOW, while there’s time, because it IS gonna happen
again. No “might.” No “maybe.” It WILL happen again."
This is what we need to be spending money on. Not this fake global
warming crap.
A: The interval between large impacts is much larger than the usual duration of species.
Odds are we'll be gone and the things that replaced the things that replaced the things
that replaced us will be long gone before the next major impact.

B: knowledge of potential impactors is much more complete than it was thirty years ago. Odds are
we'll see a mountain sized impactor long before it hits.

C: Except for K/T there don't seem to be many global extinction events definitely tied to
to impacts. Your flood basalts seem to be a lot more effective at streamlining ecosystems.
Note that there was an on-going flood basalt event when Chicxulub happened.

D: If there was an actual rock headed this way that required any sort of major effort to
divert, you'd be part of the Space Rocks Are Fake News crowd as soon as the tax implications
became clear.
2019-11-30 04:35:23 UTC
"Incoming: The Chicxulub Impactor, Part 6 ― Now What? By Stephanie Osborn"
https://accordingtohoyt.com/2019/11/29/incoming-the-chicxulub-impactor-part-6-%E2%80%95-now-what-by-stephanie-osborn/
"In the last 600 million years, at least 3 large asteroids have impacted
Earth, sufficient to generate craters of order 100km (60mi) across or
greater. These are Chicxulub (in Yucatan, Mexico), Popigai (in Siberia,
Russia), and Manicouagan (in Quebec, Canada)."
"It means that Chicxulub ISN’T unusual. It isn’t a one-of-a-kind event.
It’s a semi-regular occurrence on geological timescales. It means figure
out what to do NOW, while there’s time, because it IS gonna happen
again. No “might.” No “maybe.” It WILL happen again."
This is what we need to be spending money on. Not this fake global
warming crap.
A: The interval between large impacts is much larger than the usual duration of species.
Odds are we'll be gone and the things that replaced the things that replaced the things
that replaced us will be long gone before the next major impact.
B: knowledge of potential impactors is much more complete than it was thirty years ago. Odds are
we'll see a mountain sized impactor long before it hits.
C: Except for K/T there don't seem to be many global extinction events definitely tied to
to impacts. Your flood basalts seem to be a lot more effective at streamlining ecosystems.
Note that there was an on-going flood basalt event when Chicxulub happened.
D: If there was an actual rock headed this way that required any sort of major effort to
divert, you'd be part of the Space Rocks Are Fake News crowd as soon as the tax implications
became clear.
D would depend on how much oil the Space Rock Diversion Program would be
buying at tax payer expense at inflated prices. High enough and he'd be in.

As long as the checks cleared.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
Leif Roar Moldskred
2019-11-30 05:16:39 UTC
This is what we need to be spending money on. Not this fake global
warming crap.
Sometimes, people get shot in their cars and killed. That's why I'm not
spending any money on treating the staph infection in my leg but am
instead saving up for a tank.
--
Leif Roar Moldskred
I was thinking of getting a Mark V because I love the way they look,
but I hear their MPG is pretty bad.
Alan Baker
You are a complete idiot.
Carl Fink