Point of Order: Off Topic or Off Charter?
p***@hotmail.com
2020-03-21 20:26:25 UTC
When searching for a newsgroup, for example, rec.aviation.military, one
may come across list of newsgroups each with a short description, in this
case "military aircraft of the past, present, and future". I would say
that is a statement of the group's "charter". I would say that a "topic"
is the subject of some particular thread within the newsgroup.

However, when someone starts a thread that may not be strictly within
a groups charter, they will sometimes label it "OT", which I presume
is an abbreviation of "off topic". Is there perhaps a better term?
I note that with google groups one starts a thread by clicking on the
box labeled "new topic"; how can a new topic possibly be off topic?

Of course, vox populi, vox dei. Like most users of natural language
I am flexible. I can accept that in this context off topic means
off charter, just as in Britain a public school is what Americans
would call a private school.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Gary R. Schmidt
2020-03-22 09:58:57 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
"OT:" has been the standard disclaimer prologue on Usenet since before
the great reorganisation, just stick with it.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...
p***@hotmail.com
2020-03-22 20:21:43 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
Mumpsimus, got it, happens all the time.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Kevrob
2020-03-22 22:21:09 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
I participate in a group where specific topics are considered
off-charter, while still others not specifically germane to the
group are considered OK. However, their FAQ states:

"This newsgroup exists for... [folks who think as we do].... to
discuss anything of interest to them and other...[folks of like
mind],... although others who are honestly interested in joining
a discussion and are not trolls are welcome. Trolls will be treated
as what they are."

Trolls starting blatantly off-charter threads, or responding
with off-charter replies to existing threads bitterly resent
the regular, non-troll members labeling them as spammers, trolls
and k00ks for continually transgressing one of the FAQ's points.
It's an unmoderated group, and the moderated version is moribund.
Insisting on self-moderated netiquette is derided as "censorship."

2020-03-22 23:56:48 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
I think there is "topic of newsgroup" and "topic of
one post".
p***@hotmail.com
2020-03-23 16:36:12 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
Q: What's wrong with that post?

A: Not only is it off topic, but it's off topic.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-23 21:53:56 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
Is there a dozen of us here now ? Please note that Starfaker, Alan
Baker, and Titus G. do not count in my book.

And GUCCs has obviously left again on his journey to rebuild the
computers on the west coast for his employer. I hope that he does not
catch the Chinese Flu and die.

2020-03-23 22:37:13 UTC
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:53:56 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
GUCS catch a disease? More likely that the disease will die of _him_.
2020-03-24 04:11:11 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
And GUCCs has obviously left again on his journey to rebuild the
computers on the west coast for his employer. I hope that he does not
catch the Chinese Flu and die.
GUCS catch a disease? More likely that the disease will die of _him_.
First he'd catch it. Then he'd _toy_ with it.

I can't say if he'd bother putting it out of its misery. :)