YASID
The Zygon
2018-03-23 10:03:11 UTC
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were biomanufactured just for the arena. By law, the manufactured creatures were not allowed to be able to reproduce. There were other restrictions of the abilities the creatures were allowed to have. This was to avoid someone building a creature which was formidable that the contest would not be entertaining. It also made sure that if a creature escaped, the authorities would be able to handle it. If I remember correctly, one of the restrictions was it was not allowed to capable of genuine flight.

In one of the companies which made such creatures, someone lied to his superiors about what he was building. He made the creature able to fly. He made the creature smarter than he should - and it was his bad luck that he made the creature smarter than he knew. The creature was smarter than humans - and had all the lethal physicality necessary to compete in the arena. Worst of all, he did something which the author never quite explained - he mad the monster able to reproduce itself. Naturally, the creature escaped from the arena.

I don't remember either the name of the book or the author.
Michael F. Stemper
2018-03-23 14:54:37 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very dangerous were staged.
[snip]

I don't recognize this. However, to help others who might find it
familiar, do you remember:
1. When you read it?
2. Hardcover or MMPB?
3. What the protagonist looked like?
4. Written for kids or adults?
5. Other random and apparently irrelevant info?

Meta-information like this has helped folks resolve more than one
otherwise inscrutable YASID.
--
Michael F. Stemper
I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.
The Zygon
2018-03-24 02:51:55 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very dangerous were staged.
[snip]
I don't recognize this. However, to help others who might find it
1. When you read it?
2. Hardcover or MMPB?
3. What the protagonist looked like?
4. Written for kids or adults?
5. Other random and apparently irrelevant info?
Meta-information like this has helped folks resolve more than one
otherwise inscrutable YASID.
--
Michael F. Stemper
I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.
don't recognize this. However, to help others who might find it
familiar, do you remember:
1. When you read it? -- More than 10 years ago.
2. Hardcover or MMPB? -- MMPB
3. What the protagonist looked like? - I think it looked something like a dragon (It was not in any shape or form)
4. Written for kids or adults? -- Adults
5. Other random and apparently irrelevant info? -- It reproduced by laying eggs.

Quadibloc
2018-03-25 10:14:29 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very
dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were biomanufactured just for the
arena.
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but the premise is reminiscent of
_Gladiator_ by Philip Wylie.

2018-03-25 10:27:32 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very
dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were biomanufactured just for the
arena.
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but the premise is reminiscent of
_Gladiator_ by Philip Wylie.
Actually, no. Maybe Grand Central Arena, but not Gladiator.

John Savard
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-03-27 11:29:30 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very
dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were biomanufactured just for the
arena.
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but the premise is reminiscent of
_Gladiator_ by Philip Wylie.
Actually, no. Maybe Grand Central Arena, but not Gladiator.
Well, there's fights, but they're not staged in the sense of someone
ELSE setting them up. If one group Challenges another, they can decide
on a combat being the resolution method, but they're not required to.

I suppose you could view the ENTIRE Arena as forcing the groups
together, but it's perfectly happy with "Let's you and him cooperate" as
with "let's you and him fight."
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
The Zygon
2018-03-28 05:27:30 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by The Zygon
[...]
I checked out both books. It is neither of them. Thanks for trying.

I suspect that it is a pretty obscure book. I just happen to like it very much.
Chris Buckley
2018-03-28 14:37:38 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by The Zygon
[...]
_Earthblood_ by Laumer and Brown? A human youth journeys aboard a
spaceship filled with alien fighters of various sorts, for the purpose
of having staged fights. Iron Robert (a large iron-based alien) was a
particular friend of the human. I liked the book quite a bit at an
early age, but haven't read it for several decades. My memory is that
it was a definite "pure-blood humans will triumph" story.

Chris
D B Davis
2018-03-28 23:47:10 UTC
My followup doesn't have a darn thing to do with the op's YASID. You've
been warned.
At this point allow me to note that Iron Robert brings to mind
Manbreaker Crag, Heave Huckle, Blast Berg, George Blood, Move Manion,
Trouble Trent, Manbreaker, Storm Shannon, Gutboy Barrelhouse, Slash
Slagel, Nevel Knife, and Blaze Bolt. Although all are truly worthy
squared circle grappler or bluesmen handles, they actually appear as
aliases in "Nine Hundred Grandmothers" (Lafferty).

Don
D B Davis

Don
Default User
2018-03-27 17:09:47 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights
between very dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were
biomanufactured just for the arena.
Not likely to be what you are describing, but the George RR Martin
story "A Beast for Norn", later part of the fixup novel Tuf Voyaging,
features battles between creatures.

Originally these were native animals bred by the local families. Then
Tuf got involved with his bioengineered versions. Unfortunately for the
locals, they didn't realize that they were involved in a long game of
Tuf's devising.

In general, it's a bad idea to play a strategy game with Tuf. Even
worse if you don't know you're playing.

1. This was a single planet, not a galactic society involved in
contests.
2. The creatures were animals.
3. They were expected to be able to reproduce.
4. Tuf did all of the design and manufacture, so there were no rogue
participants, other than him. Of course that's probably more enough
rogueness.

Brian
The Zygon
This is highly unusual. Amazon has no record of this book. Did you recall the name correctly?
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-03-28 05:37:53 UTC
Post by The Zygon
https://www.amazon.com/Tuf-Voyaging-George-R-Martin-ebook/dp/B0092EE5HY
2018-03-28 19:06:06 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Post by Default User
Not likely to be what you are describing, but the George RR Martin
story "A Beast for Norn", later part of the fixup novel Tuf
Voyaging, features battles between creatures.
This is highly unusual. Amazon has no record of this book. Did you
recall the name correctly?
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The latter is
a short story and a chapter of the former.

Brian
Dimensional Traveler
2018-03-28 19:37:18 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by The Zygon
Post by Default User
Not likely to be what you are describing, but the George RR Martin
story "A Beast for Norn", later part of the fixup novel Tuf
Voyaging, features battles between creatures.
This is highly unusual. Amazon has no record of this book. Did you
recall the name correctly?
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The latter is
a short story and a chapter of the former.
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf stories.
Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
2018-03-28 20:11:03 UTC
Post by Default User
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The
latter is a short story and a chapter of the former.
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf
stories. Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
More of a fixup. The latest stories form a framing arc. At any rate,
Amazon has it in multiple formats, including Kindle edition. Which I
quickly determined by a web search.

Brian
James Nicoll
2018-03-28 20:59:47 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by The Zygon
Post by Default User
Not likely to be what you are describing, but the George RR Martin
story "A Beast for Norn", later part of the fixup novel Tuf
Voyaging, features battles between creatures.
This is highly unusual. Amazon has no record of this book. Did you
recall the name correctly?
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The latter is
a short story and a chapter of the former.
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf stories.
Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
Baen first, then Gollancz (I think), then Meisha Merlin, and SFBC in 2004.
Plus later editions.
David Duffy
2018-03-28 23:44:43 UTC
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf stories.
Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
Baen first, then Gollancz (I think), then Meisha Merlin, and SFBC in 2004.
Plus later editions.
Gollancz 1987. '"A Beast for Norn" copyright 1986. A shorter and
substantially different version of this story appeared in Andromeda
...(1976).' On the back it says, "He is working on a second Haviland
Tuf novel", but I don't see that anywhere.

Cheers, David Duffy.
Robert Woodward
2018-03-29 05:23:54 UTC
Post by David Duffy
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf stories.
Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
Baen first, then Gollancz (I think), then Meisha Merlin, and SFBC in 2004.
Plus later editions.
Gollancz 1987. '"A Beast for Norn" copyright 1986. A shorter and
substantially different version of this story appeared in Andromeda
...(1976).' On the back it says, "He is working on a second Haviland
Tuf novel", but I don't see that anywhere.
The earlier version was reprinted in Sept-Oct 1979 issue of Galaxy.
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Chris Buckley
2018-03-29 14:45:46 UTC
Post by David Duffy
I thought Tuf Voyaging was a SFBC omnibus collection of the Tuf stories.
Those might be difficult to find on Amazon.
Baen first, then Gollancz (I think), then Meisha Merlin, and SFBC in 2004.
Plus later editions.
Gollancz 1987. '"A Beast for Norn" copyright 1986. A shorter and
substantially different version of this story appeared in Andromeda
...(1976).' On the back it says, "He is working on a second Haviland
Tuf novel", but I don't see that anywhere.
Cheers, David Duffy.
Sounds like the Baen and Gollancz were pretty close together. My Baen
copy was printed in March 1987 as the "first paperback edition", with
the same dates for "A Beast for Norn". It doesn't mention a second
novel anywhere.

Chris
The Zygon
"A Beast for Norn"
2018-03-29 15:17:33 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Default User
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The
latter is a short story and a chapter of the former.
"A Beast for Norn"
There you go. Try again with the correct title.

Brian
The Zygon
Thanks. I did not find it on Amazon, but I found a Wikipedia page on it. It is not what I am looking for, though.
2018-03-30 15:29:31 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Post by Default User
Post by Default User
Post by Default User
What did you look up? Tuf Voyaging or "A Beast for Norn"? The
latter is a short story and a chapter of the former.
"A Beast for Norn"
There you go. Try again with the correct title.
Thanks. I did not find it on Amazon, but I found a Wikipedia page on
it. It is not what I am looking for, though.
What, Tuf Voyaging? That seems unlikely if you searched with the
correct title. But I agree it's likely not the book you mentioned.

Brian

Christian Weisgerber
2018-03-29 16:57:51 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I once read a book about a future galactic society in which fights between very dangerous were staged. Some of the aliens were biomanufactured just for the arena.
This made me think of "A Beast of Norn" (already mentioned in the
thread) and Peter F. Hamilton's "Sonnie's Edge", but neither one
fits the rest of the description.
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de