[tears] The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction by Anthony Boucher
2021-06-06 13:09:46 UTC
The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction by Anthony Boucher

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/howling-around-your-door
David Brown
2021-06-06 15:45:53 UTC
The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction by Anthony Boucher
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/howling-around-your-door
I have this collection and a modest number of additional stories by Boucher. I just recently mentioned his novella Barrier in a review of a 60s movie titled Cyborg 2087 (linked to a little ways down) where I looked at the roots of the Terminator franchise. As I commented, Boucher's story anticipated elements of Terminator by portraying a time traveler going through time in the nude. I didn't say a lot more about the story in itself, but it's probably the best of Boucher's works before his 1950s late bloom, and still an innovative and unsettling bit of dystopian fiction. What most intrigued me is that it gave a social rather than technological rational for the nude time traveler bit. Essentially, a naked guy would at worst be detained for indecent exposure, whereas someone dressed for an entirely wrong time would get far more scrutiny.