[tor dot com] Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
2020-03-23 15:32:38 UTC
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
Chris Buckley
2020-03-23 19:00:06 UTC
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
I have other monster-sized series by Eliot but not this one. I've read the
other four.

Books in my Favorites bookcase that are longer than 600 pages (note
that I don't include _The Mote in God's Eye_ here because it isn't
long enough):

Asimov _The Foundation Trilogy_
Cherryh _Cyteen_
Crowley _Little,Big_
Gentle _Ash_
Kay _Tigana_
Moon _The Deed of Paksenarrion_
Moran _The Last Dancer_ (marginal, both in making Favorites, and I needed
to count a couple of pages of ads to get to 600)
Rothfuss _The Name of the Wind_
Stephenson _Anathem_
Vinge _A Fire upon the Deep_
Vinge _A Deepness in the Sky_
White _The Once and Future King_

(It's possible I missed an ebook or two)

Chris
m***@sky.com
2020-03-23 19:05:26 UTC
I would add Anathem, and some long serials - how about the various Chronicles of Amber, or the Honorverse novels?
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-23 22:09:08 UTC
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
I would add Anathem, and some long serials - how about the various
Chronicles of Amber, or the Honorverse novels?
Why has nobody yet mentioned _The Lord of the Rings_?
Chris Buckley
2020-03-24 00:26:59 UTC
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
I would add Anathem, and some long serials - how about the various
Chronicles of Amber, or the Honorverse novels?
Why has nobody yet mentioned _The Lord of the Rings_?
I considered it for my list of 600+ page favorites, but decided I didn't
want to get into books that I didn't have as a single volume.

I'd then have to add another half dozen series which have all their
volumes on the Favorite bookcase, and then decide what to do with
another half-dozen series which have at least one of their books on the
bookcase, and then decide what to do with another dozen books which
have related books totaling more than 600 pages!

I do agree that if Malazan is on the original list, then
_The Lord of the Rings_ certainly could be. Note that Malazan is a
series as a whole that I wouldn't mind considering a Favorite (except
I'd have to throw off 20-30 other books to put it on the bookcase!), but I
decided none of the individual volumes were not strong enough.

Chris
Titus G
2020-03-24 02:59:35 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
I would add Anathem, and some long serials - how about the various
Chronicles of Amber, or the Honorverse novels?
Why has nobody yet mentioned _The Lord of the Rings_?
<grin>
Because the Subject said "Books to Read", and not "Books to Re-read"?
Post by Chris Buckley
I considered it for my list of 600+ page favorites, but decided I didn't
want to get into books that I didn't have as a single volume.
It has long since disappeared but my first read of TLotR in about 1972
was a single volumne paperback.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-24 04:07:01 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Chris Buckley
I considered it for my list of 600+ page favorites, but decided I didn't
want to get into books that I didn't have as a single volume.
It has long since disappeared but my first read of TLotR in about 1972
was a single volumne paperback.
I remember that. I didn't own it, but I saw a copy in _The Other
Change of Hobbit._ The size of a fat brick, and bound in red.
2020-03-24 05:50:09 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Chris Buckley
I considered it for my list of 600+ page favorites, but decided I didn't
want to get into books that I didn't have as a single volume.
It has long since disappeared but my first read of TLotR in about 1972
was a single volumne paperback.
I remember that. I didn't own it, but I saw a copy in _The Other
Change of Hobbit._ The size of a fat brick, and bound in red.
Mine was definitely not red but it may have been printed in NZ with a
different cover? Far too long ago. (Now, what did I do yesterday?)
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-23 23:22:40 UTC
Five Massive SFF Books to Read While You’re Social-Distancing
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-massive-sff-books-to-read-while-youre-social-distancing/
What, no David Weber ? Or _The Stand_ (which is 1,200 pages about a
Super Flu and evil) ?
https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Stephen-King/dp/0307947300/