test transmission
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-08-16 16:55:53 UTC
I have become sick of using Google Groups and have downloaded and
installed Thunderbird and have set up an account in Eternal September.
This is a test to see if I did it correctly.
Alan Baker
2018-08-16 17:09:39 UTC
So far, it would appear so.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-16 16:58:10 UTC
Post by Panthera Tigris Altaica
I have become sick of using Google Groups and have downloaded and
installed Thunderbird and have set up an account in Eternal September.
This is a test to see if I did it correctly.
Correctness I cannot judge, but I was able to read your message.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Thanks. It seems that we're up.
Mike Van Pelt
2018-08-17 00:12:17 UTC
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Mike Van Pelt
2018-08-17 00:14:00 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding
out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
..... and never has my sig quote been more appropriate.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-08-17 00:19:21 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding
out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
..... and never has my sig quote been more appropriate.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
2018-08-17 00:34:35 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding
out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
..... and never has my sig quote been more appropriate.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?

(I wouldn't know; I now have a dumb phone that I've never used, I
don't think it does mail at all.)
2018-08-17 01:29:58 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?
I believe juice ssh is an android only product so the phone base operating system is a modified version of linux.
I don't know if there'd be any way of getting it to build an application locally though
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-08-17 02:46:27 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?
I believe juice ssh is an android only product so the phone base
operating system is a modified version of linux.
I don't know if there'd be any way of getting it to build an application locally though
It's fairly easy to set up a toolchain on a Linux PC to cross-compile
to Android. I've done it, though it's been a few years.
2018-08-18 23:21:21 UTC
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?
(I wouldn't know; I now have a dumb phone that I've never used, I
don't think it does mail at all.)
I think that Android sits on top of Linux, and IOS sits on top of BSD.
But I don't know if you're allowed to touch anything deep enough for
that to be relevant.
2018-08-19 02:25:12 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?
(I wouldn't know; I now have a dumb phone that I've never used, I
don't think it does mail at all.)
I think that Android sits on top of Linux, and IOS sits on top of BSD.
But I don't know if you're allowed to touch anything deep enough for
that to be relevant.
For Android it's not hard. You can get to the 'C' level pretty easily.
(That's not where Android apps are built, but it is still there). In general,
you will run the C compiler on another machine and copy the compiled binary
to the Android device.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-08-19 09:40:57 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
You should just compile trn directly on your phone..
Does his phone run on UNIX, or at a pinch, Linux?
(I wouldn't know; I now have a dumb phone that I've never used, I
don't think it does mail at all.)
I think that Android sits on top of Linux, and IOS sits on top of BSD.
iOS sits on top of XNU - a MACH microkernel with a BSD flavoured cloak
and some extra filesystem and other APIs compiled in to make it a big
lumpy kernel - plus a small amount of Darwin, an Apple-supported OSS
unix. Macs use the full Darwin.
Post by Greg Goss
But I don't know if you're allowed to touch anything deep enough for
that to be relevant.
You can in iOS with extremely unsupported jailbreaks, and you have to
install your own command-line userland. Busybox or whatever.

Cheers - Jaimime
--
"A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found
the conditions that make it fail." - Jerry Ogdin
David DeLaney
2018-08-31 14:07:32 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
Truly we have reached The Fu-ture!

Dave, Vernor Vinge, thou art ... dammit, I've lost the word
2018-08-31 19:12:07 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Mike Van Pelt
I'm using using juice ssh from my phone at the worldcon
opening ceremonies, using trn.
Truly we have reached The Fu-ture!
Dave, Vernor Vinge, thou art ... dammit, I've lost the word
When I started reading SF, I didn't specifically
consider the distant year of 2018... I'd probably
have expected more shiny silver clothing, jet packs,
and food pills. But... some of what we do have
is nice.
Michael F. Stemper
2018-09-06 19:28:47 UTC
When I started reading SF, I didn't specifically
consider the distant year of 2018... I'd probably
have expected more shiny silver clothing, jet packs,
and food pills. But... some of what we do have
is nice.
Speaking of _Year 2018!_, the latest issue of my alma mater's
"keep in touch with the alumni" magazine included this article:
<https://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/features/the-big-dig/>
which talks about searching for new antibiotics by digging samples
out of frozen ground.

They call it "Big Dig" rather than "Big Bridge", but still, it's
a reasonable match.

If this is going over your head:
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?39507>
--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.
Robert Carnegie
2018-09-06 21:42:57 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Robert Carnegie
When I started reading SF, I didn't specifically
consider the distant year of 2018... I'd probably
have expected more shiny silver clothing, jet packs,
and food pills. But... some of what we do have
is nice.
Speaking of _Year 2018!_, the latest issue of my alma mater's
<https://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/features/the-big-dig/>
which talks about searching for new antibiotics by digging samples
out of frozen ground.
They call it "Big Dig" rather than "Big Bridge", but still, it's
a reasonable match.
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?39507>
--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.
Splendid! Let's just hope they don't have Trouble
with Lichen. :-) Or Treaties... or Tribbles... or -
wait, they're digging in /their own yard/ for antibiotics?

I thought they'd be digging for polar life, but that's
risky too, time after time... besides, at the North Pole,
you aren't digging land. Make a big enough hole,
and, well... is what you may fall into.

mimus99
<squint>
Dimensional Traveler
2018-08-17 15:52:38 UTC
Post by mimus99
Post by Panthera Tigris Altaica
I have become sick of using Google Groups and have downloaded and
installed Thunderbird and have set up an account in Eternal September.
This is a test to see if I did it correctly.
Did it?
We don't know, he hasn't said whether the car moves under its own power
now or not.
Joe Bernstein
2018-08-17 15:27:10 UTC
Post by Panthera Tigris Altaica
I have become sick of using Google Groups and have downloaded and
installed Thunderbird and have set up an account in Eternal September.
This is a test to see if I did it correctly.
You seem to have - you should probably have included any non-ASCII
characters you care about so as to test MIME, but in particular word
wrap worked correctly. Also, you don't do .sigs, do you? If you
actually want to, you should test that too.

Oh, one other thing. Actual correctness would have the post in
misc.test.

-- JLB