Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
2021-06-01 18:15:31 UTC
Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/06/01

I would think that it would be better to give the animals the free
government cheese that they used to give out.

2021-06-02 00:59:57 UTC
Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/06/01
I would think that it would be better to give the animals the free
government cheese that they used to give out.
Is that the same as the "alleged cheese" given out as battle
rations in the Commonwealverse?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Joy Beeson
2021-06-02 02:21:01 UTC
Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/06/01
I would think that it would be better to give the animals the free
government cheese that they used to give out.
Is that the same as the "alleged cheese" given out as battle
rations in the Commonwealverse?
If the cheese given to us in summer camp was typical, government
cheese was much tastier than the process cheese available in stores.
We theorized at the time that it was because the cheese was made to
get rid of milk, so they didn't skimp on milk.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
pete...@gmail.com
2021-06-02 02:38:23 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/06/01
I would think that it would be better to give the animals the free
government cheese that they used to give out.
Is that the same as the "alleged cheese" given out as battle
rations in the Commonwealverse?
If the cheese given to us in summer camp was typical, government
cheese was much tastier than the process cheese available in stores.
We theorized at the time that it was because the cheese was made to
get rid of milk, so they didn't skimp on milk.
I've heard that from multiple sources, that the 'government cheese'
handed out in the day (I'm thinking 1970s) was very good to eat,
and much better than the store bought the recipients were familiar
with.

.
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2021-06-02 04:49:50 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Joy Beeson
Over The Hedge: Free Government Money
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/06/01
I would think that it would be better to give the animals the free
government cheese that they used to give out.
Is that the same as the "alleged cheese" given out as battle
rations in the Commonwealverse?
If the cheese given to us in summer camp was typical, government
cheese was much tastier than the process cheese available in stores.
We theorized at the time that it was because the cheese was made to
get rid of milk, so they didn't skimp on milk.
I've heard that from multiple sources, that the 'government cheese'
handed out in the day (I'm thinking 1970s) was very good to eat,
and much better than the store bought the recipients were familiar
with.
Well, I liked it, but the reason I got to try it... okay, my wife's
(then-girlfriend's) former foster sister was living on welfare, but
didn't like the cheese and canned chicken the government gave her, so
she traded them to her former foster mother (my mother-in-law to be)
for stuff she liked better.

I don't know what she was thinking, because the cheese was just fine,
and the chicken was GREAT, as it had absolutely no preservatives or
any of the other crap they put in chicken to make it look good in the
supermarket. For years, I tried to find a commercial equivalent;
never did.
My latest novel is Tom Derringer & the Steam-Powered Saurians.
Paul S Person
2021-06-02 16:19:03 UTC
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 21:49:50 -0700, Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Joy Beeson
[...]
Perhaps, as you appear to be judging by /how it tastes/ (and why not?
this is FOOD after all!), she was judging by ... something else. Like
how it looked or what it came in.

Was the program related to price supports? That is, was the cheese
purchased from farmers to help keep the prices up by increasing
demand? In that case, there would be no motive to purchase low-quality
cheese.
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2021-06-02 17:31:57 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Joy Beeson
[...]
It didn't look particularly good, but so what? This woman was living
well below poverty level in Massachusetts, where the cost of living is
fairly high.
Post by Paul S Person
Was the program related to price supports? That is, was the cheese
purchased from farmers to help keep the prices up by increasing
demand? In that case, there would be no motive to purchase low-quality
cheese.
I'm really not sure what the deal was with the chicken, but yeah, the
cheese was a way of using up a huge surplus of milk that the federal
government had bought for price support purposes. Under previous
administrations they had just been throwing it away, and then someone
came up with the idea of making it into cheese (so it would keep) and
giving it to welfare recipients.
My latest novel is Tom Derringer & the Steam-Powered Saurians.
Magewolf
2021-06-02 17:59:34 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Joy Beeson
[...]
To keep milk prices up, as I remember it. It is amazing how much milk
even a small farm can pump out and it is not like you can just turn milk
cows off and on at will. And at times it seems like the dairy farmers
have the most powerful lobbyists in the country.
J. Clarke
2021-06-02 20:41:43 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Joy Beeson
[...]
I think that stabilizing prices at the cost of a higher average was
the intent (or maybe the unintended consequence). Oversupply crashes
milk prices, farmers can afford to feed cows, cows become beef,
undersupply spikes prices, farmers start producing cows . . .

You end up with positive feedback in the system which without damping
results in runaway oscillation. So by maintaining a market for
cheese, the system is stabilized.