004 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Turning Points in Ancient History) by Eric Cline
2020-03-21 20:00:03 UTC
004 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Turning Points in
Ancient History) by Eric Cline

I have gone through periods where I read a lot of history. The
ancient historians were especially interesting to me, as well as
more recently Churchill, Fromkin and Diamond etc. Anyway, as the
Late Bronze Age shows up in fantasy as widely separated as Homer &
Turtledove, when this book was mentioned on a site I follow, it
seemed like something I would be interested in. Indeed, I think
somebody could write a book on the collapse of the LBA civilizations
that *would* be something I was interested in, but it wasn't this
book. For a popular history, it was dry as toast and too full of
'Well, Professor X thinks this, but Dr. Y disagrees' to the point
that any coherent narrative got lost in a welter of conflicting
cites. I marked a particular passage as typical:

In summary, as with Hazor and Megiddo, it is unclear who destroyed
Lachish VI or the earlier city of Lachish VII. Both, or neither,
could have been devasted by the Sea Peoples, or by someone--or
something else entirely. As Jame Weinstein of Cornell University
has said, "while the Sea Peoples may have been culpable for the
end of Egyptian garrisons in southern and western Palesting, we
must allow for the possibility that non-Sea Peoples' groups were
responsible for the ruin of sites in other areas of the country.

Thanks for clearning that up. In addition, there is no clear picture
of *what* is being destroyed, that is what the vanishing LBA societies
were like, and how the people lived their lives. In the end, Cline
basically says, well "1177" is just a year to pick, we can't really
date any specific important event to then, and, you know, maybe we
don't really have any idea why the LBA collapsed, just a perfect
storm apparently...

This is also the first Kindle book I've read with a lot of notes,
and they really don't work well in that format.
p***@hotmail.com
2020-03-21 21:12:41 UTC
[...]
What does "LBA" mean in this context?

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Christian Weisgerber
2020-03-21 21:34:17 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
I have gone through periods where I read a lot of history. The
ancient historians were especially interesting to me, as well as
more recently Churchill, Fromkin and Diamond etc. Anyway, as the
Late Bronze Age shows up in fantasy as widely separated as Homer &
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Turtledove, when this book was mentioned on a site I follow, it
seemed like something I would be interested in. Indeed, I think
somebody could write a book on the collapse of the LBA civilizations
that *would* be something I was interested in, but it wasn't this
book. [...]
What does "LBA" mean in this context?
(This line intentionally left blank)
--