Has any book inspired you to take action?
a***@gmail.com
2020-03-30 23:04:31 UTC
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can. Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate the actions of the protagonist?

Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create characters who are moral role models.

But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.

Abhinav Lal

"Choose wisely"
Lynn McGuire

2020-03-31 00:01:26 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can.
Whether consciously or subconsciously.  Have you ever tried to emulate
the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books.  Books inspire life.  That is why writers create
characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
The Bible.
I rigged a situation so a guy would die so I could get it on with his
wife. Then I drowned a bunch of people because they were annoying.
That's because I deeply believe in the Bible's value in providing role
models.
a***@gmail.com
2020-03-31 00:11:37 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can.
Whether consciously or subconsciously.  Have you ever tried to emulate
the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books.  Books inspire life.  That is why writers create
characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
The Bible.
I rigged a situation so a guy would die so I could get it on with his
wife. Then I drowned a bunch of people because they were annoying.
That's because I deeply believe in the Bible's value in providing role
models.
Humanity has progressed morally, since the Bible was written. And authors cannot be held responsible for their reader's actions. Because we can experience our darkest fantasies, like violence, through fiction.

Abhinav Lal

"Nature is cruel"
Wolffan
2020-03-31 02:09:16 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can.
Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate
the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create
characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
The Bible.
I rigged a situation so a guy would die so I could get it on with his
wife. Then I drowned a bunch of people because they were annoying.
That's because I deeply believe in the Bible's value in providing role
models.
Hey, there’s more incest in the Bible than in Game of Thrones. Fewer
dragons, though.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-31 02:35:35 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can.
Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate
the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create
characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
The Bible.
I rigged a situation so a guy would die so I could get it on with his
wife. Then I drowned a bunch of people because they were annoying.
That's because I deeply believe in the Bible's value in providing role
models.
Hey, there’s more incest in the Bible than in Game of Thrones.
Well, when you start with *two* humans, one of whom is a clone of
the other with one chromosome changed.....
Wolffan
Hmm. So the Bible is a late Heinlein story...
o***@gmail.com
It is interesting that The Master made his thoughts evident in _Job_ .
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-31 18:00:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can.
Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate
the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create
characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
The Bible.
I rigged a situation so a guy would die so I could get it on with his
wife. Then I drowned a bunch of people because they were annoying.
That's because I deeply believe in the Bible's value in providing role
models.
Hey, there’s more incest in the Bible than in Game of Thrones.
Well, when you start with *two* humans, one of whom is a clone of
the other with one chromosome changed.....
And who did their kids marry XXXXX shack up with ?

Of course, that first person probably had perfect DNA, no bad stuff.

2020-03-31 21:11:05 UTC
On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:00:11 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Friend of mine was a biblical scholar. His area of interest was the
first books of Genesis. He'd take a word, in Hebrew, and use his
computer to find everywhere else in the Bible that word appeared and
how it was used.

One of the things he got out of it was that there was more than one
word in Hebrew that referred to people. Adam and Eve were one kind of
people, the rest of us were another kind. What made one kind
different from another wasn't clear, but Adam and Eve were the first
of this new kind of person, not the first people of any kind. At
least that was his take on it after digging into it for 20 years or
so.

Note--he told me this a long time ago, my memory is shot, and he is
dead, so I can't provide details.
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-31 21:41:29 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Adam and Even did not have belly buttons.

My wife has a fake belly button. She had her original belly button
removed in 2005 as a part of cancer surgery.

Lynn
Wolffan
2020-03-31 21:26:32 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
So... what about Noah? Allegedly Ye Ark carried a crew of eight:
multi-century-old Noah, his equally elderly wife, their three sons, and the
sons’ wives. Lots and lots of incest to be had... And Noah was well after
the ‘first person’ with the ‘perfect DNA’. I won’t go into the two
different Flood stories (one had just two of each animal, one had two of the
‘unclean’ animals and _seven_ od the ‘clean’ ones. As the
clean/unclean division wasn’t handed down until Moses, exactly how did Noah
know?) Genesis, Exodus, Judges, Samuel are _full_ of murder, rape, genocide,
atrocity, and more.
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-31 21:43:58 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Just like the news of today.

2020-03-31 21:42:17 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
I'm inclined to think that "clean" and "unclean" in this context
means "edible" and "inedible."
2020-04-01 15:18:02 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Leaving aside the fact that there isn't enough water on the planet to cover all land;
nor sufficient energy for a planetwide 40 day long rainstorm.

h***@gmail.com
Specifically the bits that say "Ignore facts if they're inconvenient"
m***@sky.com
2020-03-31 04:23:05 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can. Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
In general, I think people over-estimate the role of inspiration and persuasion. I think we should learn from the Harvard Law of Animal Behavior that under controlled experimental conditions of temperature, time, lighting, feeding, and training, the organism will behave as it damn well pleases.

On the other hand, textbooks and the education system can do a very good job of teaching skills, and we should concentrate on that, so that people can put their inspirations (from wherever they come) into practice.
o***@gmail.com
Which is THE reason that "studies" involving humans and human behavior can NOT be considered to be "science".
o***@gmail.com
2020-03-31 21:52:26 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can books make a difference to your behaviour? Of course they can. Whether consciously or subconsciously. Have you ever tried to emulate the actions of the protagonist?
Life inspires books. Books inspire life. That is why writers create characters who are moral role models.
But in the end, each individual makes his own choice.
Abhinav Lal
"Choose wisely"
Heinlein's _Number of the Beast_ , which I consider his worst work (but still better than 90% of the rest), kinda inspired me in an obscure way.

My life after mid-40's paralleled the character Zebbie. I was a divorced campus rat, teaching math, physics, and engineering...kinda drifting along. Then decided on the cheapest, dirtiest, easiest way to be called "doctor"....a PhD in Education.

IT WORKED, far beyond my expectations.

And.....was GREAT fun, as virtually none of the profs (but two) had any concept of logic and reason, choosing instead, to glorify authority-based knowledge.

Shortly after my "consecration", however, I decided "work" was a four letter word, and avoided it for the rest of my life (other than a 2+ year tour in the Peace Corps).

....Schwab made it possible
Joy Beeson
2020-04-01 02:46:40 UTC
In the "inspiring real-life action" department, the most exciting book
I ever read was _Knitting From the Top_ by Barbara Walker.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net