_Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock)_ by Faith Hunter
2018-05-15 23:51:34 UTC
_Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock)_ by Faith Hunter
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Reign-Yellowrock-Faith-Hunter/dp/1101991402/

Book number 11 of a 12 book urban fantasy series. I read the well
printed and bound MMPB by Roc. The twelfth book in the series just
became available on Big River and I have added it to my current cart. I
highly suspect that there will be more books written in the series.

The EVs (European Vampires) have started arriving. And their intent is
to kill all of the vampires in the USA and take over.

I continue to enjoy two underlying themes in the series. Jane
Yellowrock is a full blooded Cherokee and a Christian. My wife is 1/4
Cherokee which makes the story very interesting. And the continuing
Christian story is also very interesting to me as a Christian.

And hey, anyone who has a fully turned 300 lb werewolf as a pet who has
a pet grindylow is very interesting.

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars (434 reviews)

Lynn
-dsr-
2018-05-16 15:12:28 UTC
_Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock)_ by Faith Hunter
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Reign-Yellowrock-Faith-Hunter/dp/1101991402/
Book number 11 of a 12 book urban fantasy series. I read the well
printed and bound MMPB by Roc. The twelfth book in the series just
became available on Big River and I have added it to my current cart. I
highly suspect that there will be more books written in the series.
The EVs (European Vampires) have started arriving. And their intent is
to kill all of the vampires in the USA and take over.
I continue to enjoy two underlying themes in the series. Jane
Yellowrock is a full blooded Cherokee and a Christian. My wife is 1/4
Cherokee which makes the story very interesting. And the continuing
Christian story is also very interesting to me as a Christian.
She's not human.

She's murdered several dozen intelligent creatures including humans. I
suppose that's neither here nor there for Christianity.

She definitely participates in non-Christian religious rituals.

She has worked black magic.

She works for vampires.

She has eaten human flesh. Not symbolically.

She does not appear to be interested in praying to Jesus for anything.

She is possessed by a demon, or at least the spirit, mind and occasional
body of a mountain lion. She is OK with that, and not looking to cast
it out.

She has sex out of wedlock, and enjoys it.

She has a family of witches whom she has sworn to protect. She has
killed to make sure a witch could live.

She does not appear to regret any of these actions, except occasionally
in a tactical sense. "Now I wish I hadn't killed him, maybe he would have
said something useful under torture."

You keep saying Christian, but either you are wrong or I don't know
what you mean by Christian in this context.

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-05-16 22:39:51 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I should say that she is a Christian in very much in need of grace and
she realizes that. But, she is a believer at the end of the day.
Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
God,". Jane sins greatly. And knows it. And does it again and again.

She also has infrequent contact with an angel named Hayyel who has the
appearance of a good angel.

I would not say that she is not human. But she is a different kind of
human or, extra-human. Being able to manipulate your DNA and survive
the experience is definitely different from the normal human abilities.

Murdered ? Or defended herself and others ? She did participate in the
murder of the two men who killed her mother and father when she was five
at the urging of her grandmother but I will give her a pass on that one.

BTW, are the vampires in the Jane Yellowrock series Christians at heart
? They are descended from Judas Iscariot. Or are they demon possessed ?

2018-05-16 22:49:22 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I thought it was a bit questionable that she was ok on going on a baby
vamp hunt and staking all these potential sentients just because they
didn't have anyone to lock them in the cellar for ten years.

I guess it could be an abortion metaphor.
2018-05-17 17:14:13 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
So, you are equalizing human babies and newly turned vampires who murder
at the drop of a hat. Nice try but I don't buy it. Killing, not
murdering, newly turned vampires is exterminating.

2018-05-17 18:28:12 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Yeah, I probably should not have thrown that in, as it just popped into
my head while I was posting, and detracted from what I had wanted to say.

The thing was in the scenario I remember (which was from one of the early
books, probably book 1 or 2), Jane could have made her focus capturing
the baby vamps. It's dangerous work, so I have no problem with killing
any of them that got out out of hand, but she had no problem putting all of
them down when they were basically (deadly) innocents in the scenario.

Of course, I don't always understand Jane's thought process at all. Once
someone who I'm working for tries to kill me, I'm out.

Hmm, I think I reviewed this. Yep, here's what I thought at the time,
point #6, when I could still remember most of it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1B95EU3NJ3L1W?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

Customer Review
3.0 out of 5 stars:
See Jane Run
By E. Nolan on January 17, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Verified Purchase

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad book -- I'd say about
3.5 stars, but the first book in the series was a *great*
5-star debut, so my hopes were pretty high.

This book still has Jane, so it has that going for it, and
if you liked her, you'll end up liking this book, but let
me (unfairly) set that aside and tell you my problems with
the book:

*************************THERE WILL BE SPOILERS***************

1) Aside from Jane, all the other characters feel like
shadows of theirselves from the first book. Rather than
continuing to show why they are interesting, Hunter just
assumes we will find them interesting based on their history.

2) This is particularly true of the vampire lord Leo, and
is one of the worst failings of the book. In book one, Leo
and Jane had an interesting, prickly but engaging back &
forth relationship. In this book, for rather unconvincing
plot reasons, *that* Leo is completely absent, and the Leo
who does appear does things that will make it very hard to
impossible to bring back that relationship. And he's not
even *compellingly* crazy.

3) Jane's romantic life is a complete hash. We get one
reasonably hot almost-sex scene that gives an interesting
glimpse at what a full-on romantic encounter between two
more-than-humans could be, then Jane ends up with Mr.
Milk-toast, despite leading on the other guy time after
time. Not to mention that even after the kids are kidnapped
and the quest should be engaging Jane's full attention, we
get several episodes of inappropriate flirting and innuendo.

4) A female vampire hints broadly to Jane that she has
important information, and Jane smells the rouge-raiser on
her, but never gets around to talking to her. Hey, didn't
the exact same thing happen in book one? Didn't Jane beat
herself up about it then? Unless there is some unrevealed
spell or something and we're *supposed* to think this is
odd, I call trainwreck.

5) The whole bad-guy plot seems overcomplicated and hard
to explain. This causes lots of dead-time in the "woo-woo
room" where Jane reads documents or gets info-dumps from
other characters.

6) I didn't like the whole way the young-rogues were handled.
Yes, they were raised by black-magic: Bad! But that's not
their fault. Given that the ex-marines have nets capable
of incapicating vampires, the whole business of taking their
heads seems extreme. In self-defense, yes. To prevent a
kill, yes. As a policy, no. In fact, the two encounters
Jane has with young rogues seem to leave her sympathetic
to their plight, but she doesn't make the leap that maybe
putting a price on their heads is wrong.

7) In fact, the denoument seems to argue that anything
allowing the ten-year feral period to be shortened is wrong.
Yes, black magic, human sacrifice: wrong, we get that. But
if there is a way to keep from having to chain potentially
intelligent beings in basements for ten years, would that
be so bad? Jane seems to buy into the whole
visiting-the-sins-of-the-fathers thing the crazy priestess
is pushing.

8) The whole shifting to a male saber-tooth thing is forced.
Apparently it's to lay some important groundwork about
beast/Jane's new abilities, but it's deployed very limply
and does nothing other than establish that Jane can shift
male now -- [s]he just sulks in a ward the whole time of
the shift. How can you turn into a saber-tooth tiger and
not do something awesome? (There are a few other forced
bits/hints about Jane/Beast, like Beast walking in Jane's
skin and her remark about Jane being only a killer.
Interesting, but totally un-followed-up-on).

9) Lots of to-ing & fro-ing rather than plot. Jane goes
places, then she goes back to places, then she goes a third
time..

Anyway. Perhaps that list is too harsh. I *did* enjoy reading
the book, it's just that I was looking for something as
good as the first book. Next time for sure :-)

56 people found this helpful
2018-05-16 22:55:58 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
One does not have to be a saint to be a Christian. That is, in
fact, one of the most fundamental principles of the religion, that
we're all born sinners.

David Duffy
2018-05-17 00:29:40 UTC
ObSF The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
-dsr-
2018-05-17 11:13:53 UTC
Post by -dsr-
You keep saying Christian, but either you are wrong or I don't know
what you mean by Christian in this context.
I should say that she is a Christian in very much in need of grace and
she realizes that. But, she is a believer at the end of the day.
Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
God,". Jane sins greatly. And knows it. And does it again and again.
So by your definition, is there anyone who is not a Christian?
Post by Lynn McGuire
Murdered ? Or defended herself and others ? She did participate in the
murder of the two men who killed her mother and father when she was five
at the urging of her grandmother but I will give her a pass on that one.
Once or twice one might find oneself in a situation where it is necessary
to kill in self-defense.

When it happens multiple times per book over 12 books, the author likes
describing you murder people.
Post by Lynn McGuire
BTW, are the vampires in the Jane Yellowrock series Christians at heart
? They are descended from Judas Iscariot. Or are they demon possessed ?
There's no indication that any other intelligence is at work in vampires;
after the years of devoveo, it appears that they are the same person.

Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-05-17 17:21:03 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
BTW, are the vampires in the Jane Yellowrock series Christians at heart
? They are descended from Judas Iscariot. Or are they demon possessed ?
There's no indication that any other intelligence is at work in vampires;
after the years of devoveo, it appears that they are the same person.
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
-dsr-
I believe in Grace. And Works. But Grace is 99.99999999999999999999%
of the Christian faith. You cannot work your way into Heaven, you must
be granted Grace by Jesus's death and resurrection. So, if Jane
believes and wants to be a Christian, she is. John 14:6 says, "Jesus
answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through me.". John 10:14-18 also says, "“I am the good
shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father
knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I
have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also.
They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one
shepherd. 17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my
life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it
down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to
take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”".

Yes, Judas is a Christian. Whether or not he was saved, we shall all
found out some day.

2018-05-17 18:55:16 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Some folks reckon Josh gave Judes the job of betraying him, so
Iscariot was just following orders.

[quote]

The case for St. Judas Iscariot by Graeme Davidson, July 2001

Judas is necessary to bring in the kingdom that Jesus intended.

[/quote]

http://www.theologicaleditions.com/Features/previousfeatures/judas.htm

2018-05-17 20:23:20 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
This is one of the stories in Ian Wallace's _Pan Sagitarius_.
2018-05-17 23:32:16 UTC
On Thu, 17 May 2018 12:21:03 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
BTW, are the vampires in the Jane Yellowrock series Christians at heart
? They are descended from Judas Iscariot. Or are they demon possessed ?
There's no indication that any other intelligence is at work in vampires;
after the years of devoveo, it appears that they are the same person.
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
-dsr-
I believe in Grace. And Works. But Grace is 99.99999999999999999999%
of the Christian faith.
Of the PROTESTANT faith.
Post by Lynn McGuire
You cannot work your way into Heaven, you must
be granted Grace by Jesus's death and resurrection.
Which removes all incentive for good behavior.
Lynn
David Goldfarb
2018-05-18 02:04:23 UTC
I believe in Grace. And Works. But Grace is 99.99999999999999999999%
of the Christian faith.
And if any sect might put that percentage a tad lower, I assume
you would turn around and define them as not Christian?
--
David Goldfarb | "Life is a simile."
***@gmail.com |
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Terry Carr
Lynn McGuire
2018-05-18 18:48:51 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Lynn McGuire
I believe in Grace. And Works. But Grace is 99.99999999999999999999%
of the Christian faith.
And if any sect might put that percentage a tad lower, I assume
you would turn around and define them as not Christian?
Nope. My sect, Church of Christ, has changed on this significantly in
the last 50 years.

We are all personally responsible for our own salvation.

2018-06-05 03:44:35 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
I should say that she is a Christian in very much in need of grace and
she realizes that. But, she is a believer at the end of the day.
Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
God,". Jane sins greatly. And knows it. And does it again and again.
So by your definition, is there anyone who is not a Christian?
Well, those who don't -believe-, for a start. I am one such.
Post by -dsr-
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
I am PRETTY sure he believed. He wasn't a GOOD one, in the end...

Dave
2018-06-05 04:00:57 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by -dsr-
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
I am PRETTY sure he believed. He wasn't a GOOD one, in the end...
Can't get resurrected without dying.
Experience talking?
James Nicoll
2018-06-05 13:25:26 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by James Nicoll
Post by David DeLaney
Post by -dsr-
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
I am PRETTY sure he believed. He wasn't a GOOD one, in the end...
Can't get resurrected without dying.
Experience talking?
In my case, paperwork was also required.
2018-06-05 09:28:10 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by -dsr-
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
I am PRETTY sure he believed. He wasn't a GOOD one, in the end...
Can't get resurrected without dying.
Is there an "original author" for this theory? That Christ needed
Judas to help arrange the climax of his career?
2018-06-05 09:50:48 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by James Nicoll
Post by David DeLaney
Post by -dsr-
Is it your contention that Judas is a Christian?
I am PRETTY sure he believed. He wasn't a GOOD one, in the end...
Can't get resurrected without dying.
Is there an "original author" for this theory? That Christ needed
Judas to help arrange the climax of his career?
Several editions of a "Gospel of Judas", anyway!
Not even kidding!
h***@gmail.com
2018-05-18 00:05:25 UTC
_Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock)_ by Faith Hunter
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Reign-Yellowrock-Faith-Hunter/dp/1101991402/
Book number 11 of a 12 book urban fantasy series. I read the well
printed and bound MMPB by Roc. The twelfth book in the series just
became available on Big River and I have added it to my current cart. I
highly suspect that there will be more books written in the series.
I checked her blog after finishing the last book and iirc there's 2 more Jane Yellowrock books contracted (and 3 more of the spinoff series as well I think)
I may have the numbers reversed.
I wouldn't really consider it a particularly christian story.
Lynn McGuire
2018-05-18 18:51:12 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
The EVs (European Vampires) have started arriving. And their intent is
to kill all of the vampires in the USA and take over.
I continue to enjoy two underlying themes in the series. Jane
Yellowrock is a full blooded Cherokee and a Christian. My wife is 1/4
Cherokee which makes the story very interesting. And the continuing
Christian story is also very interesting to me as a Christian.
I wouldn't really consider it a particularly christian story.
Yup, I forgot to mention that she has more books contracted.

The series is much more Christian than the average SF/F series. The
individual books come and go. Not overtly Christian but there are basic
beliefs there.