xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
2019-05-31 18:25:14 UTC
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/

"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."

Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes

Lynn
Gene Wirchenko
2019-06-03 03:41:06 UTC
On Fri, 31 May 2019 13:25:14 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

---
https://www.avg.com
John W Kennedy
2019-06-03 17:18:47 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
That’s because, as the OED3 points out, the word didn’t exist until
1952. And it’s really not altogether a legitimate word. “Dystopia” (“bad
place”) is the opposite of “Eutopia” (“good place”), not “Utopia” (“no
place”). However, even More himself made the Utopia/Eutopia joke, so I
guess we have to give it a pass.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Gene Wirchenko
2019-06-03 18:37:49 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
That’s because, as the OED3 points out, the word didn’t exist until
1952. And it’s really not altogether a legitimate word. “Dystopia” (“bad
place”) is the opposite of “Eutopia” (“good place”), not “Utopia” (“no
place”). However, even More himself made the Utopia/Eutopia joke, so I
guess we have to give it a pass.
My OED is copyrighted 1971.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

---
https://www.avg.com
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2019-06-03 19:24:37 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
That’s because, as the OED3 points out, the word didn’t exist until
1952. And it’s really not altogether a legitimate word. “Dystopia” (“bad
place”) is the opposite of “Eutopia” (“good place”), not “Utopia” (“no
place”). However, even More himself made the Utopia/Eutopia joke, so I
guess we have to give it a pass.
My OED is copyrighted 1971.
That was after the first Supplement (1933) was included, but before the
next Supplement was published (1972-1986), so no surprise a 1952
neologism was missing.

OED2 was the computerisation and further additions edition, released on
paper in 1989 and on CDrom in 1992.

OED3 is the current online version, and gets updates, additions and
corrections every three months.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I am always a bit unhappy when I spot a bit of text that made perfect
sense in my brain but on passing through my fingers turned into a word
stirred while I was typing. -- James Nicoll
John W Kennedy
2019-06-04 19:42:24 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
That’s because, as the OED3 points out, the word didn’t exist until
1952. And it’s really not altogether a legitimate word. “Dystopia” (“bad
place”) is the opposite of “Eutopia” (“good place”), not “Utopia” (“no
place”). However, even More himself made the Utopia/Eutopia joke, so I
guess we have to give it a pass.
My OED is copyrighted 1971.
That would be the first Compact Edition—a photographically reduced
reproduction of the First Edition of 1933.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
2019-06-03 22:19:40 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
That’s because, as the OED3 points out, the word didn’t exist until
1952. And it’s really not altogether a legitimate word. “Dystopia” (“bad
place”) is the opposite of “Eutopia” (“good place”), not “Utopia” (“no
place”). However, even More himself made the Utopia/Eutopia joke, so I
guess we have to give it a pass.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystopia>
credits John Stuart Mill in the British Parliament
in 1868, with a lot of references, including to OED.
Lynn McGuire
2019-06-03 19:49:00 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ? Wait, I have to pay to use it?
https://www.oed.com/

Sure, just like your customers pay for your process control software.
Lynn McGuire
2019-06-03 21:02:20 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ? Wait, I have to pay to use it?
https://www.oed.com/
Sure, just like your customers pay for your process control software.
But the first two weeks are free ...

2019-06-03 23:00:49 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ? Wait, I have to pay to use it?
https://www.oed.com/
Sure, just like your customers pay for your process control software.
But the first two weeks are free ...
And the first hit of addictive drugs is free.
2019-06-04 00:17:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ? Wait, I have to pay to use it?
https://www.oed.com/
One way or another. On paper it's 400 bucks in one volume or 1100 in
24 volumes (same content, but the one volume has very very tiny
print).

And until some time in July it's 90 bucks a year for US subscribers.
300 was too damned much but that's tempting.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-06-04 02:46:31 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm. I wonder which word I would delete ? I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
I got an old copy of the OED. The first word that I looked up
was dystopia. It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ? Wait, I have to pay to use it?
https://www.oed.com/
One way or another. On paper it's 400 bucks in one volume or 1100 in
24 volumes (same content, but the one volume has very very tiny
print).
I have the photoreduced, 4-pages-to-a-page, two-volume version.
I remember what it cost me, too: subscribing to Book-o/t-Month Club,
which would've been less costly if I'd been more conscientious
about saying "don't send me this month's selection."
2019-06-04 03:07:29 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I've got the next edition of that one--the one that comes in one
volume with the bubble magnifier, got it at a Borders liquidation for
something like 100 bucks.
John W Kennedy
2019-06-04 20:02:55 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I got mine at Whiteley’s in Bayswater (then a department store), but I
use the on-line version now.

Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself “Gharlane of Eddore”, who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Mike Van Pelt
2019-06-04 20:07:01 UTC
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself "Gharlane of Eddore", who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
*sigh*

I miss the old Eldritch Horror. He was always a kick to
have around.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-06-04 20:24:53 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself "Gharlane of Eddore", who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
*sigh*
I miss the old Eldritch Horror. He was always a kick to
have around.
Oh, I do too. We used to correspond outside the forums, and he
may have been an eldritch horror, but he was a sweetie-pie. We
never met face-to-face.
Mike Van Pelt
2019-06-04 22:43:24 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself "Gharlane of Eddore", who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
*sigh*
I miss the old Eldritch Horror. He was always a kick to
have around.
Oh, I do too. We used to correspond outside the forums, and he
may have been an eldritch horror, but he was a sweetie-pie. We
never met face-to-face.
I've met him, but didn't know it at the time. Once after
BayCon (or was it Westercon?), he recounted a conversation
I was involved in in one of the room parties. I recalled the
conversation, but I couldn't recall who I'd been talking to.
Kevrob
2019-06-05 11:22:58 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself "Gharlane of Eddore", who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
*sigh*
I miss the old Eldritch Horror. He was always a kick to
have around.
Oh, I do too. We used to correspond outside the forums, and he
may have been an eldritch horror, but he was a sweetie-pie. We
never met face-to-face.
I've met him, but didn't know it at the time. Once after
BayCon (or was it Westercon?), he recounted a conversation
I was involved in in one of the room parties. I recalled the
conversation, but I couldn't recall who I'd been talking to.
I have only ever "net GoE online. Some of his fanac has been
preserved.

http://www.outel.org/decomposed/goe/lensfaq.html

Kevin R
Juho Julkunen
2019-06-06 10:13:21 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself "Gharlane of Eddore", who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
*sigh*
I miss the old Eldritch Horror. He was always a kick to
have around.
Oh, I do too. We used to correspond outside the forums, and he
may have been an eldritch horror, but he was a sweetie-pie. We
never met face-to-face.
I've met him, but didn't know it at the time. Once after
BayCon (or was it Westercon?), he recounted a conversation
I was involved in in one of the room parties. I recalled the
conversation, but I couldn't recall who I'd been talking to.
Your sense of perception was clearly not powerful enough to pierce his
disguise.
Juho Julkunen
Jerry Brown
2019-06-06 16:59:13 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:13:21 +0300, Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
[...]
I once pointed out that his "portrait" on his web page looked
suspiciously similar to Simon Wright, The Living Brain from Captain
Future, to which he replied that it was just down to him and Simon
having the same tailor.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Mike Van Pelt
2019-06-06 20:15:29 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by John W Kennedy
[...]
Yeah, I think you have to be at least an L-3.
Joy Beeson
2019-06-05 05:08:45 UTC
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:02:55 -0400, John W Kennedy
Post by John W Kennedy
Over on the Babylon 5 groups, there was in times of yore a poster who
called himself “Gharlane of Eddore”, who often said that, if you could
pick a dictionary up with one hand, then, unless it was the CD-ROM
version of the OED, it was unfit for adult use.
When I spent more time writing, I kept a small, cheap ready-reference
dictionary beside my keyboard. When I wondered whether I could use a
word without defining it first, I looked it up, and if *that*
dictionary had it, I assumed that my reader's dictionary had it.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
John W Kennedy
2019-06-04 19:19:10 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Diploma Legal Notes
     https://www.xkcd.com/2157/
"All graduates are entitled to delete one word of their choice from the
Oxford English Dictionary."
Hmm.  I wonder which word I would delete ?  I am the class of 1982 so
this must be a new feature as I do not recall it then.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2157:_Diploma_Legal_Notes
      I got an old copy of the OED.  The first word that I looked up
was dystopia.  It was not in there.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
OED ?  Wait, I have to pay to use it?
   https://www.oed.com/
It’s worth every penny. But if you really don’t want to, any respectable
academic library you can get into the Reference Room of should have
access. Or you can log on from home if you have any British
public-library card.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres