Reports of Usenet's Death have been greatly exaggerated
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2020-04-05 05:04:57 UTC
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.

And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.

rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)

Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-04-05 05:14:54 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.
And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.
rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Welcome back!

But, 33,577 are about the same thing! (Or so it seemed to me..)
2020-04-05 05:44:13 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Welcome back!
Hear, hear!
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
But, 33,577 are about the same thing! (Or so it seemed to me..)
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?

Kevin R
David Goldfarb
2020-04-05 07:59:36 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
--
David Goldfarb |"Never argue with a pedant over nomenclature.
***@gmail.com | It wastes your time and annoys the pedant."
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Lois McMaster Bujold
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2020-04-06 06:03:12 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
He's not very active anywhere online right now, so far as I can see; I
think he's [shudder] working.
David Goldfarb
2020-04-06 06:31:03 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by David Goldfarb
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
He's not very active anywhere online right now, so far as I can see; I
think he's [shudder] working.
Well, I heartily approve of him working.
--
David Goldfarb |"Why, look, Ted, it's a meeting of the new
***@gmail.com | community leaders."
Garrett Wollman
2020-04-06 15:23:03 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
He's not very active anywhere online right now, so far as I can see; I
think he's [shudder] working.
He's very active on Twitter, talking mostly comics stuff. Some of
that may count as work, since he's talking about *his* comics stuff.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2020-04-06 15:28:27 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
In article
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
He's not very active anywhere online right now, so far as I can see; I
think he's [shudder] working.
He's very active on Twitter, talking mostly comics stuff. Some of
that may count as work, since he's talking about *his* comics stuff.
Hope he comes out OK! It's looking like Diamond might go under for good
and the majors are cancelling issues..
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2020-04-07 00:08:52 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Glad to see you back! (Now if only you could bring Kurt with you.)
He's not very active anywhere online right now, so far as I can see; I
think he's [shudder] working.
He's very active on Twitter, talking mostly comics stuff. Some of
that may count as work, since he's talking about *his* comics stuff.
He's certainly been active on Twitter in the not-too-distant past, but
he hasn't been posting as much just lately.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2020-04-05 12:51:38 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.
And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.
rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
IT LIVES!
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-05 14:44:59 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.
And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.
rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Welcome back! I, for one, missed you.
2020-04-05 15:26:36 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.
And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.
rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Good to see you here again!

2020-04-05 15:33:52 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So I finally have Chloe, my desktop computer, back. She was in
storage for seventeen months while we were traveling. This means I
can check out rasfw easily, after ignoring it for a year and a half.
And there were 34,000 unread messages in rasfw.
rec.arts.comics.misc had about sixty, and half of them were spam --
all selling textbooks, apparently, which seems weird. (The other half
were review summaries.)
Anyway, I'm back, and have a zillion other things I ought to be doing
instead, but I expect I'll wade through this stuff little by little.
You may see me necroposting; sorry about that.
Many of us probably ought to be doing other things.

Necroposts are great! They add an additional historic element to a
thread. Readers virtually travel back in time, which itself is sfnal.
It aids my research when a thread includes the earliest available
discussion of a thing.

Welcome back.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Lynn
Charles Packer
2020-04-06 00:43:16 UTC
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.

Charles Packer http://cpacker.org mailboxATcpacker.org
Kevrob
2020-04-06 01:00:43 UTC
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
Unfortunately, I do know. I participate in another group where
cross-posters regularly include "alt.dittoheads" and the group I
read in the "To" string.

2020-04-06 01:55:16 UTC
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
That strikes me as a superthread group. There's not much back and forth
within a given thread. Instead, each thread's Subject: tries to shout
down all the other threads.
It brings to mind yesterday's outlaw ham who amped up way beyond
legal limits in order to try to dominate 14.310.000. Sometimes that
particular frequency morphs into a no-man's land where everyone tries to
step on every one else. They're all talk, no listen, and may the most
powerful amp win.
Anyhow yesterday's outlaw asked the pressing question as to whether
people were tired of winning yet. It was a rhetorical question.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
Garrett Wollman
2020-04-06 19:31:35 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
alt.usage.english is the only other group that I subscribe to that is
both active and largely engaged in discussion of its nominal topics
(English usage, food, and sheep).

Garrett Wollman
2020-04-06 22:28:58 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
alt.usage.english is the only other group that I subscribe to that is
both active and largely engaged in discussion of its nominal topics
(English usage, food, and sheep).
Cool! Why sheep?
I have absolutely no idea. It was already a thing 20 years ago,
before I joined.

Magewolf
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
p***@hotmail.com
2020-04-06 20:55:47 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
No; that would be high cesspool traffic.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Lynn McGuire
2020-04-06 21:30:06 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
Both of my septic tanks are a pain in the butt. The last thing I want
to do is talk about them in usenet.

Don't put inorganics down the drain if you have a drain/leach field.
Lynn McGuire
2020-04-06 22:57:46 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Magewolf
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
Both of my septic tanks are a pain in the butt. The last thing I want
to do is talk about them in usenet.
Don't put inorganics down the drain if you have a drain/leach field.
Both of them are three stage aerobic systems with powered sprinklers.
And a half pound of chlorine tablets in each per month.

2020-04-07 01:21:11 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
Both of my septic tanks are a pain in the butt. The last thing I want
to do is talk about them in usenet.
Aren't septic problems discussed on alt.usa.is.numba.one ?!

:)

Kevin R
Wolffan
2020-04-07 13:20:40 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Charles Packer
Post by Kevrob
Anybody have a source for a current list of the highest-traffic
non-binary groups?
Kevin R
In revisiting Usenet after years away, I've had the same wish, but
searching turned up nothing. The highest-traffic newsgroup of
presumptive human interaction I've run across is
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. As for its content...you wouldn't want to know.
alt.home.repair is another high traffic cesspool.
I guess you do not mean talk about septic tank problems?
Both of my septic tanks are a pain in the butt. The last thing I want
to do is talk about them in usenet.
Aren't septic problems discussed on alt.usa.is.numba.one ?!
Kevin R
Septic problems would be on alt.usa.is.numba.two. alt.usa.is.numba.one is for
hydration issues.
Kevrob
2020-04-07 14:31:48 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Kevrob
Aren't septic problems discussed on alt.usa.is.numba.one ?!
Septic problems would be on alt.usa.is.numba.two. alt.usa.is.numba.one is for
hydration issues.
Of course!

Kevin R

Charles Packer

Charles Packer
2020-04-06 08:01:16 UTC
Disregard this. Somehow, my followups aren't landing in the intended
thread properly.