YASID Alien Invasion SS from Late 1960s
2018-12-31 05:08:12 UTC
This story is from Galaxy/IF or possibly Analog.

The premise has aliens bearing the gifts of prosperity, peace, health/long life for everyone on Earth. But it's a trap. Once the aliens (after a few years) think everyone on Earth has fallen for it (it's worked elsewhere) they spring the trap. IIRC, everyone who has used alien tech/medicine or whatnot dies.

But, surprise, surprise. It turns out not everyone on Earth is a sucker. Just enough humans have refused their gifts to make it very difficult for these aliens to occupy Earth, And they (the aliens) certainly aren't used to natives who refused to die and turn out to be extremely belligerent and bent on revenge.

The premise is reminiscent of a Christopher Anvil story. But I don't think it was his.

TIA

Matt Hickman
At last he hit on a plan. It had the one virtue of having no sense
to it at all; it was compounded of equal parts of folly and risk.
Robert A. Heinlein
_The Star Beast_ c. 1954
Robert Woodward
2018-12-31 06:19:58 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
This story is from Galaxy/IF or possibly Analog.
The premise has aliens bearing the gifts of prosperity, peace, health/long
life for everyone on Earth. But it's a trap. Once the aliens (after a few
years) think everyone on Earth has fallen for it (it's worked elsewhere) they
spring the trap. IIRC, everyone who has used alien tech/medicine or whatnot
dies.
But, surprise, surprise. It turns out not everyone on Earth is a sucker. Just
enough humans have refused their gifts to make it very difficult for these
aliens to occupy Earth, And they (the aliens) certainly aren't used to
natives who refused to die and turn out to be extremely belligerent and bent
on revenge.
The premise is reminiscent of a Christopher Anvil story. But I don't think it was his.
Anvil's "The Kindly Invasion" fits your description.
2019-01-01 23:59:17 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by h***@gmail.com
This story is from Galaxy/IF or possibly Analog.
The premise has aliens bearing the gifts of prosperity, peace, health/long
life for everyone on Earth. But it's a trap. Once the aliens (after a few
years) think everyone on Earth has fallen for it (it's worked elsewhere) they
spring the trap. IIRC, everyone who has used alien tech/medicine or whatnot
dies.
But, surprise, surprise. It turns out not everyone on Earth is a sucker. Just
enough humans have refused their gifts to make it very difficult for these
aliens to occupy Earth, And they (the aliens) certainly aren't used to
natives who refused to die and turn out to be extremely belligerent and bent
on revenge.
The premise is reminiscent of a Christopher Anvil story. But I don't think it was his.
Anvil's "The Kindly Invasion" fits your description.
Robert Woodward robe....drizzle.com
Thank you, it was Anvil's, 'The Kindly Invasion.' This may have been the first Anvil I ever read. March 1966's WoT was shortly after I discovered a bookstore that actually sold sf magazines. And I also remember this one for Farmer's 'Suicide Express' (part of _Riverworld_)

I was able to find the story online here: http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20Baltic%20War/The%20Trouble%20With%20Aliens/1416520775__10.htm
and verify it was the one I was looking for.

Matt Hickman
Thorby...paid the fee and the customary gift and had a line
tattooed through his serial number, the Sargon's seal tattooed
beside it with book and page number of the record which declared
him to be a free subject of the Sargon, entitled to taxes,
military service, and starvation without let or hindrance.
-Robert A. Heinlein
_Citizen of the Galaxy_ 1957

Stephen Harker
2018-12-31 07:19:03 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
This story is from Galaxy/IF or possibly Analog.
The premise has aliens bearing the gifts of prosperity, peace,
health/long life for everyone on Earth. But it's a trap. Once the
aliens (after a few years) think everyone on Earth has fallen for it
(it's worked elsewhere) they spring the trap. IIRC, everyone who has
used alien tech/medicine or whatnot dies.
In the story I think it might be, the Emissary turns up with various
bits of paper in envelopes to be brought out in given situations.
Official authorisations, explations and so on. He is bewildered by the
aliens reactions.

Afterwards it is explained to him that the alien gifts each had
problems: the birth-control with appropriate additive causes frenzied
mating and increase in birth rate; the food plant can be caused to die
and so on.
Post by h***@gmail.com
But, surprise, surprise. It turns out not everyone on Earth is a
sucker. Just enough humans have refused their gifts to make it very
difficult for these aliens to occupy Earth, And they (the aliens)
certainly aren't used to natives who refused to die and turn out to be
extremely belligerent and bent on revenge.
After the aliens first visit a new religion, the Burdeenites, arosse who
won't use any alien gifts. A new political entity under the "House of
Mogg" is mixed around the world with other states and is closely allied
to the Burdeenites and pursues human technologies that can be used
instead of the alien gifts.
Post by h***@gmail.com
The premise is reminiscent of a Christopher Anvil story. But I don't think it was his.
If it is the story I think it is *Mission of Ignorance* by Christopher
Anvil, in Analog October 1968. See:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?50580
--
Stephen Harker ***@netspace.net.au