Quora: If the Cthulhu Mythos Was Real
2018-09-09 18:04:22 UTC
How screwed would everyone be if the Cthulhu Mythos was real?
David Johnston
David Johnston · Add Credential
Updated Feb 7
No more screwed than we are. Here’s the thing. The whole point of the
Mythos is this*: One day humanity will be extinct, and the universe
won’t care about that. And that is nothing more than the truth. It
doesn’t actually make a difference whether it’s Azathoth or the
expanding sun that eats the planet. In fact Azathoth is merely the core
of the galaxy granted quasi-personification. Nor is it the case that
humanity is immanently about to wiped out in the Lovecraft Mythos. We
know it will continue to exist for at least 3000 years more. (The Great
Race had an abducted human mind from 3,000 years in our future). So,
while in the long run humanity is doomed…because of course it is…in the
short run most of us would live lives exactly as long and as happy as we
would if there were no tentacular masses at the bottom of the ocean.

*Well, that and “inter-racial sex is icky”.
Quadibloc
2018-09-10 00:52:05 UTC
So,
while in the long run humanity is doomed…because of course it is…in the
short run most of us would live lives exactly as long and as happy as we
would if there were no tentacular masses at the bottom of the ocean.
Of course, if the Cthulhu Mythos were real, _and_ had been written for John W.
Campbell as editor, humanity would have found a way to outwit these ancient
horrors and steal their technology.

Instead of being unmitigated menaces, they'd just be a resource requiring
precautions to be taken in its handling.

Ever read "Who Goes There?"
a***@yahoo.com
I have read "Resume with Monsters" which is a mixture of Dilbert and Cthulhu.
Jack Bohn
2018-09-10 13:28:00 UTC
So,
while in the long run humanity is doomed…because of course it is…in the
short run most of us would live lives exactly as long and as happy as we
would if there were no tentacular masses at the bottom of the ocean.
Of course, if the Cthulhu Mythos were real, _and_ had been written for John W.
Campbell as editor, humanity would have found a way to outwit these ancient
horrors and steal their technology.
Ever read "Who Goes There?"
Hmm...
"Who Goes There?" 1938. _At the Mountains of Madness_ 1936.
Both based on the same Wold-Newton Antarctic expedition?
-Jack
David Johnston
2018-09-10 16:16:59 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
So,
while in the long run humanity is doomed…because of course it is…in the
short run most of us would live lives exactly as long and as happy as we
would if there were no tentacular masses at the bottom of the ocean.
Of course, if the Cthulhu Mythos were real, _and_ had been written for John W.
Campbell as editor, humanity would have found a way to outwit these ancient
horrors and steal their technology.
Ever read "Who Goes There?"
Hmm...
"Who Goes There?" 1938. _At the Mountains of Madness_ 1936.
Both based on the same Wold-Newton Antarctic expedition?
It's very possible Campbell read "At the Mountains of Madness" and said
"I could do better". And in truth, he was right. At the Mountains of
Madness contains some interesting information about Lovecraft's mythos
prehistory that grants it much needed structure. But ultimately it's
just a big exposition dump. "Who Goes There" is better as a story.
The Last Doctor
2018-09-10 09:29:38 UTC
[...]
However, see Charles Stross’ Laundry sequence for a treatment. His answer
is currently “more immediately screwed”.
--
There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible
things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be
fought.
m***@sky.com
2018-09-10 17:21:58 UTC
[...]
I think the Cthuhlu mythos and Lovecraft generally believe that outside the little bubble of time and space that we have experience of lurks a hostile and incomprehensible exterior, so that piercing that bubble could be disastrous. I think this violates the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediocrity_principle that we believe holds (Note - worth following the link from there to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem).

Lovecraft also believed that the incomprehensible would be literally maddening. I think that the incomprehensible will simply appear random. As an analog I offer https://lucatrevisan.wordpress.com/2007/11/06/the-impagliazzo-hard-core-set-theorem/.