Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
2018-12-30 22:03:36 UTC
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30

Heh.

2018-12-30 22:08:41 UTC
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
   https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
Nope, changing this one: "Get off my carpet !".

2018-12-31 04:56:14 UTC
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references to
rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for time enough for those
interested to either subscribe to the strips or racs, (where they belong
and will be appreciated), DESIST: or I will visit upon you and yours a
greater tragedy than the small outbreak of incontinence in '89 that
transformed much of your library to mush.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-12-31 18:20:47 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references
to rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for time enough
for those interested to either subscribe to the strips or racs,
(where they belong and will be appreciated), DESIST: or I will
visit upon you and yours a greater tragedy than the small
outbreak of incontinence in '89 that transformed much of your
library to mush.
You'll have the Un write him a stern letter? Cuz, really, dude, I'm
not seeing anything more tragic than that.

It's not like it's drowning out the massive amount of traffic in the
group.

2019-01-01 01:43:56 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references
to rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for time enough
for those interested to either subscribe to the strips or racs,
(where they belong and will be appreciated), DESIST: or I will
visit upon you and yours a greater tragedy than the small
outbreak of incontinence in '89 that transformed much of your
library to mush.
You'll have the Un write him a stern letter? Cuz, really, dude, I'm
not seeing anything more tragic than that.
I have sufficient credit with a local witch for a plague of pantry moths.
group.
Ninapenda Jibini
2019-01-01 08:56:49 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading
references to rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for
time enough for those interested to either subscribe to the
strips or racs, (where they belong and will be appreciated),
DESIST: or I will visit upon you and yours a greater tragedy
than the small outbreak of incontinence in '89 that
transformed much of your library to mush.
You'll have the Un write him a stern letter? Cuz, really, dude,
I'm not seeing anything more tragic than that.
I have sufficient credit with a local witch for a plague of
pantry moths.
So, yeah, a stern letter from the UN it is.

I'm sure he's quaking in his boots.

2019-01-01 20:03:42 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading
references to rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for
time enough for those interested to either subscribe to the
strips or racs, (where they belong and will be appreciated),
DESIST: or I will visit upon you and yours a greater tragedy
than the small outbreak of incontinence in '89 that
transformed much of your library to mush.
You'll have the Un write him a stern letter? Cuz, really, dude,
I'm not seeing anything more tragic than that.
I have sufficient credit with a local witch for a plague of
pantry moths.
So, yeah, a stern letter from the UN it is.
I'm sure he's quaking in his boots.
I did see a moth in the house today. And was not able to catch it.
But, since we live out in the sticks, that is not unusual.

This topic has been actually somewhat amusing from Titus in a tough
time. I have him blocked so I only see responses from others to him.
My 16 year dog passed away Saturday night and the household is very sad.
I got her when she was four weeks old. She was a great dog and walked
a mile or more with me every night. And, she was always willing to eat
my food until the last year or so when her stomach started having issues.

2019-01-01 23:45:40 UTC
On 2/01/19 9:03 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
snip
Post by Lynn McGuire
This topic has been actually somewhat amusing from Titus in a tough
time.  I have him blocked so I only see responses from others to him. My
16 year dog passed away Saturday night and the household is very sad.
My 18 year old cat was put down in September and my 14 year old lab
cross will probably not see this year out so I understand your sadness
and am pleased to have been of some small assistance.

2019-01-02 07:38:55 UTC
Post by Titus G
snip
Post by Lynn McGuire
This topic has been actually somewhat amusing from Titus in a tough
time.  I have him blocked so I only see responses from others to him.
My 16 year dog passed away Saturday night and the household is very sad.
My 18 year old cat was put down in September and my 14 year old lab
cross will probably not see this year out so I understand your sadness
and am pleased to have been of some small assistance.
got her when she was four weeks old.  She was a great dog and walked a
mile or more with me every night.  And, she was always willing to eat
my food until the last year or so when her stomach started having issues.
Lynn
They burn so bright and so short, don't they.

2019-01-02 17:30:06 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]

Perhaps you've been cursed for a long, long time. You *do* live in
Texas, IIRC, so it's plausible.

2019-01-01 20:52:49 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'm sorry for your loss. I still keep a picture of my cat
Sebastian beside my bed ... taken when he was six months old, the
day he had his first seizure. He was very stupid and very sweet.
2019-01-03 23:40:22 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Thanks, it has been tough on me, the wife, and our daughter. Much more
than I ever thought. We knew that she was going but we had no idea that
it was going to be this quick.

Wow, that is early to have a seizure. We slowly removing Lady's stuff
from the house so that all we will have is pictures. I still have her
dog bed in the game room, I looked at it over the New Year's holiday too
many times expecting her to jump up and come see me.

2019-01-01 00:03:22 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references to
rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for time enough for those
interested to either subscribe to the strips or racs, (where they belong
and will be appreciated), DESIST: or I will visit upon you and yours a
greater tragedy than the small outbreak of incontinence in '89 that
transformed much of your library to mush.
Dude, I am truly shocked. With all of your tirades, I would have
thought that you would know how to killfile me. Oh well, I am
disappointed again by you.

Lynn
Default User
2019-01-01 02:05:33 UTC
Post by Titus G
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references to
rasfw?
Dude, I am truly shocked. With all of your tirades, I would have
thought that you would know how to killfile me. Oh well, I am
disappointed again by you.
Or, if his newsreader supports it, crossposts to RACS.

Brian
Titus G
2019-01-01 03:09:53 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Titus G
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references to
rasfw?
Dude, I am truly shocked. With all of your tirades, I would have
thought that you would know how to killfile me. Oh well, I am
disappointed again by you.
.
That is another problem with you Christian Cultists, your faith gives
you false hope and you conflate simple venomous tirades with wise
knowledge of message filter usage which are as alike as the houses built
by the three pigs; one in the dry former Houston riverbed, one in the
dry Australian bush and one above sea level in inland Aotearoa.
Please point out just one tirade that discloses the author has the
knowledge how to send Pig 1 to join Fourbricks, Suncrapper and Solutions
Manuals? Or. (You have been warned but I have no choice but to make
another empty threat.) DESIST. Or the charred ghost of Pig 2 might
increase the carbon levels in your spookiest corridors late at night.
Post by Default User
Or, if his newsreader supports it, crossposts to RACS.
Brian
.
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support that
but thank you anyway.
2019-01-01 05:35:45 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Default User
Or, if his newsreader supports it, crossposts to RACS.
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that but thank you anyway.
I tried Thunderbird as a newsreader a long time ago, but I didn't like
it for some reason. I don't recall now what it was in particular. I've
been using XanaNews for quite a long while now.

Brian
Jay E. Morris
2019-01-01 17:52:22 UTC
Post by Titus G
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support that
but thank you anyway.
Yes it does. Add another address line by clicking on the blank address
line.
2019-01-01 18:19:24 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Titus G
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that but thank you anyway.
Yes it does. Add another address line by clicking on the blank
address line.
Reread the message. Not crossposting, filtering crossposts.

Brian
Jay E. Morris
Ah yes, lost track of your comment to that effect.
Jay E. Morris
2019-01-02 00:06:02 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Default User
Post by Titus G
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that  but thank you anyway.
Yes it does.  Add another address line by clicking on the blank
address line.
Reread the message. Not crossposting, filtering crossposts.
Ah yes, lost track of your comment to that effect.
Oh, and messages filters in TB work by newsgroups so it will delete the
crossposting.
Titus G
2019-01-02 01:03:34 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Default User
Post by Titus G
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that  but thank you anyway.
Yes it does.  Add another address line by clicking on the blank
address line.
Reread the message. Not crossposting, filtering crossposts.
Ah yes, lost track of your comment to that effect.
Oh, and messages filters in TB work by newsgroups so it will delete the
crossposting.
I looked at the Thunderbird filters yesterday and did not see anything
that would allow filtering on the "To" field so did not look further but
would be interested to learn how to delete a message crossposted to a
specific group other than the one being read. Thank you.
Jay E. Morris
2019-01-02 03:34:09 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
Oh, and messages filters in TB work by newsgroups so it will delete
the crossposting.
I looked at the Thunderbird filters yesterday and did not see anything
that would allow filtering on the "To" field so did not look further but
would be interested to learn how to delete a message crossposted to a
specific group other than the one being read. Thank you.
Still may not be exactly what you're wanting. There was someone on a
group crossposting to three or more groups. If that had been it, fine,
but people will reply.

Been a while, but IIRC I created a custom header 'Newsgroups', then
added a filter for each newsgroup with "and". If all matched then it
was deleted. Caught original and followups.

Thinking about it, it might work to use "or" and just list other
newsgroups being crossposted but not on the present one.

So with:
newsgroups is rec.arts.comics.strips
delete

While being run on rec.arts.sf.written I think it would work. You'd
have to add other newsgroups (with "or" set) to catch more.

Not perfect.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-01-02 06:18:01 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
[...]
I use similar filters myself in TB. Under Tools -> Message Filters will
open an input box.
If you are creating a new filter, click the "New" button.
In the middle box:
First pulldown use "Custom" and add "Newsgroups".
Second pulldown to "contains"
Third pulldown fill in the name of the newsgroup that will trigger your
filter. So for the example above "rec.arts.comics.strips".
If you want to filter messages from any one of multiple newsgroups,
select "Match any of the following" and add additional groups, one per line.
Set the action to whatever you want, such as "delete".

Just keep in mind that this deletes them from YOUR feed only. So you
don't see them but they are still "out there" for others to reply to.

If you want to restrict which newsgroups your replies get sent to, you
have to manually delete newsgroups from the header section of the reply
you are writing.
2019-01-05 01:38:49 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
[...]
Thank you (and several others) for the advice and easy to follow
instructions. I had already tried that with the action set to _ignore
thread_ and it did not work. After reading yours and the previous posts,
I retried changing the action to _mark with star_ and it worked.
Brilliant. Thank you.
you are writing.
David Johnston
I don't think "ignore thread" works with "contains". But "delete" does.
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-05 02:15:57 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
[...]
Delete in TB on a few special email addresses works for me.

Lynn

Gary R. Schmidt
2019-01-02 13:30:50 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Default User
Post by Titus G
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that  but thank you anyway.
Yes it does.  Add another address line by clicking on the blank
address line.
Reread the message. Not crossposting, filtering crossposts.
Ah yes, lost track of your comment to that effect.
Oh, and messages filters in TB work by newsgroups so it will delete
the crossposting.
I looked at the Thunderbird filters yesterday and did not see anything
that would allow filtering on the "To" field so did not look further but
would be interested to learn how to delete a message crossposted to a
specific group other than the one being read. Thank you.
You can customise the header fields that Tbird filters on.

(Checked that was still there, useful stuff gets dropped all the time.)

So, if you create a filter that only runs in rasw with the custom header
"Newgroups" and put the cross-posted group you want to ignore in it,
Bob's your uncle!

Of course, if you want to filter *all* items posted to more than one
newsgroup... Hmm, might work if you filter on ",".

Cheers,
Gary B-)
--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
They don't mean it either.
Peter Trei
2019-01-02 14:24:26 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by Titus G
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Default User
Post by Titus G
[...]
Back in the day, rn etc allowed your to killfile based on regexs, and you
could do things like kill crossposts by filtering on the number of commas in
the 'Newsgroups' line.

pt
Gary R. Schmidt
2019-01-03 02:34:59 UTC
[SNIP]
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Of course, if you want to filter *all* items posted to more than one
newsgroup... Hmm, might work if you filter on ",".
Back in the day, rn etc allowed your to killfile based on regexs, and you
could do things like kill crossposts by filtering on the number of commas in
the 'Newsgroups' line.
Yes, iff you (or your admin) built "rn" with the regexps turned on,
*and* you got your regexps right[1] :-)

I haven't built or used "rn" or "trn" since the early 1990's, I've been
using the various Mozilla thingies since, umm, was SeaMonkey the first
one that had email and news?? Can't recall what I used before that,
must be age.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - And the regexp library it was built with matched your particular set
of regexp skills. RE vs. ERE vs. More ERE!! (Someone wanted me to put
SOUNDEX[2] filtering into "rn," because, "You've got SOUNDEX in SPAN[3],
it can't be hard to add it to something else."

2 - SOUNDEX is sounds-like matching, so "Smith" == "Smythe" == "Schmidt".

3 - SPAN was/is a 3.5GL database language whose interpreter was loosely
based on the 16-bit HP3000 stack machine architecture, still used I
think by the scum who bought the company except it's called "SPAN/Open"
now, but it is not, of course, open, in any sense of the word.
They don't mean it either.
Cryptoengineer
2019-01-03 03:20:17 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[SNIP]
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Of course, if you want to filter *all* items posted to more than one
newsgroup... Hmm, might work if you filter on ",".
Back in the day, rn etc allowed your to killfile based on regexs, and
you could do things like kill crossposts by filtering on the number
of commas in the 'Newsgroups' line.
Yes, iff you (or your admin) built "rn" with the regexps turned on,
*and* you got your regexps right[1] :-)
I haven't built or used "rn" or "trn" since the early 1990's, I've
been using the various Mozilla thingies since, umm, was SeaMonkey the
first one that had email and news?? Can't recall what I used before
that, must be age.
I actually built trn from source this past fall, while exploring its
(limited) support for UTF-8 posts.
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
1 - And the regexp library it was built with matched your particular
set of regexp skills. RE vs. ERE vs. More ERE!! (Someone wanted me
to put SOUNDEX[2] filtering into "rn," because, "You've got SOUNDEX in
SPAN[3], it can't be hard to add it to something else."
2 - SOUNDEX is sounds-like matching, so "Smith" == "Smythe" ==
"Schmidt".
You have my sympathies.

2019-01-03 04:12:55 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[SNIP]
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[...]
I use trn, which still installs on FreeBSD and presumably linux and
windows with cygwin. Works great except no UTF-8 support and lots of
people tend to use "smart quotes" nowdays. I just read through the
squiggles..
Cryptoengineer
2019-01-03 04:29:15 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[SNIP]
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[...]
If you start trn with the -j option, it will stop stripping the high
bit from 8-bit characters, and will display UTF-8 correctly if you're
running trn on a local xterm. If you add the appropriate headers, you
can also post in UTF-8.

On my Linux box, I've been able to display 'smart quotes' and post
in Tibetan from trn.

2019-01-03 04:36:25 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[SNIP]
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
[...]
Hmm, interesting! I'll give it a try. (I have no immediate plans to post
in Tibetan though :-).
2019-01-01 18:18:14 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Default User
Or, if his newsreader supports it, crossposts to RACS.
What a good idea. I use Thunderbird which doesn't appear to support
that but thank you anyway.
Lynn also uses Thunderbird.
I'm using Xnews, which does support crossposting, but has other
problems, such as lack of a spellchecker, and no support for UTF-8.
It's not about crossposting, but blocking posts due to a crossposted
newsgroup.

Brian
2019-01-01 02:03:03 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches
    https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2018/12/30
Heh.
Lynn
.
What is the point in posting your comic strip reading references to
rasfw? Given that you have been doing this for time enough for those
interested to either subscribe to the strips or racs, (where they
belong and will be appreciated), DESIST: or I will visit upon you and
yours a greater tragedy than the small outbreak of incontinence in
'89 that transformed much of your library to mush.
RACS is so devoid of people, especially ones much interested in
discussing new strips, that Lynn chose to post here. Technical
violation of the rules, but I understand.

I might suggest a keyword for the subject line to allow those that
don't want to see them to easily filter. Perhaps something like:

OT Comics: Arlo and Janis: 2019 Approaches

Just a thought.

Brian
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-01 05:11:34 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Titus G
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Actually, I thought it was on-topic being a fantasy story.