[OT] Mars Has Landed in Philadelphia
2021-05-31 14:50:22 UTC
A Philadephia Inquirer headline notes that "water ice" is one of the incentives
offered to people who get vaccinated for COVID-19 in Philadelphia.

Excuse me?

Usually, when I read the phrase "water ice", it's because I'm reading about
the Martian polar caps, and it is necessary to clearly distinguish between
what we usually think of ice, and "dry ice", or frozen carbon dioxide.

2021-05-31 15:51:40 UTC
A Philadephia Inquirer headline notes that "water ice" is one of the incentives
offered to people who get vaccinated for COVID-19 in Philadelphia.
Excuse me?
Usually, when I read the phrase "water ice", it's because I'm reading about
the Martian polar caps, and it is necessary to clearly distinguish between
what we usually think of ice, and "dry ice", or frozen carbon dioxide.
It could be localese for "ice water."

Or it could be localese for "shaved ice" or "sno[w]-cone," a
concoction of crushed ice with syrup poured over it. Or it could
be something entirely different.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Robert Carnegie
2021-05-31 16:56:03 UTC
A Philadephia Inquirer headline notes that "water ice" is one of the incentives
offered to people who get vaccinated for COVID-19 in Philadelphia.
Excuse me?
Usually, when I read the phrase "water ice", it's because I'm reading about
the Martian polar caps, and it is necessary to clearly distinguish between
what we usually think of ice, and "dry ice", or frozen carbon dioxide.
It could be localese for "ice water."
Or it could be localese for "shaved ice" or "sno[w]-cone," a
concoction of crushed ice with syrup poured over it. Or it could
be something entirely different.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_ice> if that helps ;-)

And <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Way>
(1952) in which Earth government threatens to cancel
the provision of Earth's irreplaceable water resource
to the Martian colony. Set when, I'm not sure, let's
say 1981...
Ninapenda Jibini
2021-06-01 00:03:49 UTC
[...]
Ice mining plays a significant political role in The Expanse books
(and TV show).

Lynn:

2021-05-31 17:14:30 UTC
A Philadephia Inquirer headline notes that "water ice" is one of the incentives
offered to people who get vaccinated for COVID-19 in Philadelphia.
Excuse me?
Usually, when I read the phrase "water ice", it's because I'm reading about
the Martian polar caps, and it is necessary to clearly distinguish between
what we usually think of ice, and "dry ice", or frozen carbon dioxide.
It could be localese for "ice water."
Or it could be localese for "shaved ice" or "sno[w]-cone," a
concoction of crushed ice with syrup poured over it. Or it could
be something entirely different.
A quick google yields:
<https://philawaterice.com/>
A synonym appears to be "Italian ice"