Firefly Novel
Steve Dodds
2018-08-05 22:05:37 UTC
Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.

My own kind of freedom by Steven Brust Free to download

http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
Alan Baker
2018-08-05 22:10:27 UTC
 Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom  by Steven Brust  Free to download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
'Firefly and the Firefly universe are the property of Joss Whedon,
Mutant Enemy, Inc. and 20th Century Fox. They are lovingly used without
permission.'

Sorry.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-08-06 04:09:03 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
 Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just
finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom  by Steven Brust  Free to download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
'Firefly and the Firefly universe are the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Inc. and 20th Century Fox. They are
lovingly used without permission.'
Sorry.
Given that it's been there for a decade, I'm pretty sure Whedon is
fully aware of it and has no objections.

Or is it just that you hate everything about Whedon's work?

Either way, of course, you're still a retard.

Alan Baker
2018-08-06 04:42:44 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Alan Baker
 Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just
finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom  by Steven Brust  Free to download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
'Firefly and the Firefly universe are the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Inc. and 20th Century Fox. They are
lovingly used without permission.'
Sorry.
Given that it's been there for a decade, I'm pretty sure Whedon is
fully aware of it and has no objections.
Or is it just that you hate everything about Whedon's work?
Either way, of course, you're still a retard.
Personally, I just think that people should be made aware of what the
situation is.

I wonder if Brust would be as forgiving if people started writing
stories using his characters.

And "retard"? Really? That's your best stuff is it?

:-)
Peter Trei
2018-08-06 13:00:24 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Alan Baker
 Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just
finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom  by Steven Brust  Free to download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
'Firefly and the Firefly universe are the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Inc. and 20th Century Fox. They are
lovingly used without permission.'
Sorry.
Given that it's been there for a decade, I'm pretty sure Whedon is
fully aware of it and has no objections.
Or is it just that you hate everything about Whedon's work?
Either way, of course, you're still a retard.
Personally, I just think that people should be made aware of what the
situation is.
I wonder if Brust would be as forgiving if people started writing
stories using his characters.
https://www.fanfiction.net/book/Dragaera/

Some of its been there for many years.

pt
Leif Roar Moldskred
2018-08-06 13:11:12 UTC
From: http://dreamcafe.com/2012/09/13/statement-on-fanfic/

"I, Steven Brust, tell stories and publish my works because I want to
spur the imaginations of my readers. I view non-commercial fanworks
as a natural extension of that inspiration. The only thing I can’t
support is anything that would damage my livelihood or reputation,
hence keep the stuff non-commercial and label it as non-commercial
fanfiction when disseminating/posting it. If you break any local laws
where you are to either read my works or write about them, please don’t
tell me. I may or may not read or comment on fanworks out there.
Sometimes my time is limited, sometimes a comment would turn out to
be a spoiler for another reader, and so on, but don’t mistake my
silence for ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ I support the creation of non-
commercial fanworks and fanfiction as a valid fannish activity, right
up there with costuming, filking, and text-based play-by-post role
playing."
Leif Roar Moldskred
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-08-06 15:59:57 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Alan Baker
 Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just
finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom  by Steven Brust  Free to
download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
'Firefly and the Firefly universe are the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Inc. and 20th Century Fox. They are
lovingly used without permission.'
Sorry.
Given that it's been there for a decade, I'm pretty sure Whedon
is fully aware of it and has no objections.
Or is it just that you hate everything about Whedon's work?
Either way, of course, you're still a retard.
Personally, I just think that people should be made aware of
what the situation is.
People who aren't retarded have been aware of what the situation is
for a decade.
Post by Alan Baker
I wonder if Brust would be as forgiving if people started
writing stories using his characters.
A very good question.

"dragaera empire fanfic" produces quite a few results.
fanfiction.net has a section devoted to it, in fact. The earliest
entry is from 2002, over 16 years ago. Brust is pretty net savvy,
and has been for a long, long time.

A person who is not retarded might infer that he's OK with it when
it's his world, too.

You, of course, in your paranoid delusions, will hallucinate
something else.
Post by Alan Baker
And "retard"? Really? That's your best stuff is it?
You want my best work, you need to be more entertaining in your
stupidity.
Post by Alan Baker
:-)
Pretending you're kidding makes you look retarded.

Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-08-05 22:50:43 UTC
Post by Steve Dodds
Hey everybody, found this a couple of days ago, just finished reading
it, and would recommend it to fellow Firefly lovers.
My own kind of freedom by Steven Brust Free to download
http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/
Thanks! I don't visit Brust's site often.

That Paarfirotica though... oh dear oh dear.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I like my coffee how I like my women...
but I can't get coffee that's independent, intelligent and has a
career of its own. - Eric Jarvis, urs
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-08-06 16:01:39 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Paarfirotica
That works gives me the creeps, all by itself.

2018-08-06 16:30:31 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Paarfirotica
That works gives me the creeps, all by itself.
Clearly its an homage to something, but I don't know what - I'm not a Brust fan.

2018-08-06 16:47:34 UTC
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:01:43 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Paarfirotica
That works gives me the creeps, all by itself.
Clearly its an homage to something, but I don't know what - I'm not a Brust fan.
I am a Brust fan, but I don't *want* to know. The more you have read
the Paarfi stories, the less you want . . . *that*.

2018-08-06 17:02:39 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Paarfirotica
That works gives me the creeps, all by itself.
Clearly its an homage to something, but I don't know what - I'm not a Brust fan.
Five Brust books (the ones in this list,
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?695>), were written in a completely
different style than the rest. Basically, Brust was channelling
Alexander Dumas (the five books are homages to _The Three Musketeers_
and its sequels). The books are presented as being historical fiction
written in the world of Dragaera by one Paarfi (Brust has over a dozen
other books set in Dragaera, mostly set in a different time period).
2018-08-06 17:35:12 UTC
In article
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Paarfirotica
That works gives me the creeps, all by itself.
Clearly its an homage to something, but I don't know what - I'm not a Brust fan.
Five Brust books (the ones in this list,
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?695>), were written in a
completely different style than the rest. Basically, Brust was
channelling Alexander Dumas (the five books are homages to _The
Three Musketeers_ and its sequels).
(And a specific translation of Dumas, which I believe I've read,
and he nailed it.)
The books are presented as
being historical fiction written in the world of Dragaera by one
Paarfi (Brust has over a dozen other books set in Dragaera,
mostly set in a different time period).
Pheonix Guards is one of my two all-time favorite books.

It is the idea of "Paarfirotica" that makes me shudder in fear.