You know you're an SFF fan when...
Tony Nance
2021-08-02 17:46:38 UTC
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.

...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.

Tony, both happened yesterday
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-02 20:01:11 UTC
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
Tony, both happened yesterday
For quite a long time when I was in college, there was a BBC
World Service announcer called 'Dick Tracy '. Always gave me
pause.

2021-08-03 09:11:28 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
Tony, both happened yesterday
For quite a long time when I was in college, there was a BBC
World Service announcer called 'Dick Tracy '. Always gave me
pause.
A company boss (not mine) named Peter Parker,
another boss and also a computer programming
thought leader both named Michael Jackson,
a futurologist called Jason Donovan but that was
in a KYTV comedy sketch. ;-) And anyone named
John Williams who isn't either of the two famous
musicians so named.
Bice
2021-08-04 16:31:08 UTC
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 02:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
Tony, both happened yesterday
For quite a long time when I was in college, there was a BBC
World Service announcer called 'Dick Tracy '. Always gave me
pause.
A company boss (not mine) named Peter Parker,
another boss and also a computer programming
thought leader both named Michael Jackson,
There was also a writer named Michael Jackson who wrote guides to
quality beers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_(writer)

Someone gave me one of his books for Christmas many years ago, and I
did a double-take when I saw the name on the spine.

My favorite name-doppleganger that I've run into lately is one of the
DJs on XM radio that my wife likes to listen to - Meg Griffin. Being
a fan of Family Guy, I giggle a bit whenever her name is mentioned.

-- Bob
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-05 04:42:31 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tony Nance
[...]
One of my favorite podcasts, "99% Invisible" until recently had a staffer
named Vivian Lee. This being a spoken form, I always flashed on the
author of "Gone with the Wind", since the pronounced 'Lee' the Chinese
way.

https://99percentinvisible.org/

Pt
Tony Nance
2021-08-05 12:30:07 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tony Nance
[...]
ITYM "lead actress" - Margaret Mitchell wrote the novel.

Another one I ran across yesterday was "James Gunn" - he's
the prominently-mentioned director of a movie coming out
soon, but of course I flash on the SF author/editor James Gunn.

Tony
Pt
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-05 21:01:59 UTC
Post by Tony Nance
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tony Nance
[...]
You're right, of course. My bad.

2021-08-03 16:36:57 UTC
On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 10:46:38 -0700 (PDT), Tony Nance
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
Tony, both happened yesterday
Two decades ago, when I was walking for exercise at oh-dark-thirty
before getting ready to go to work, I would look up at the moon (I
/said/ it was dark out!) and see, not a rock, but JJRT's last Silver
Flower of Telperion, steered not by gravity but by Tillion.

I was reading /HOME/ at the time ...
p***@hotmail.com
2021-08-05 21:22:56 UTC
You hear a news bulletin about the annual Davos economic conference and you
immediately think of the creator of the Daleks.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-05 22:43:10 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
You hear a news bulletin about the annual Davos economic conference and you
immediately think of the creator of the Daleks.
That was Davros, of course. But close enough.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-05 23:06:32 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
You hear a news bulletin about the annual Davos economic conference and you
immediately think of the creator of the Daleks.
That was Davros, of course. But close enough.
Sometimes, a derivative use of the name becomes more well known than the
original. When I hear 'Duran Duran', I think of the band much more readily than
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.

2021-08-05 23:34:42 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by p***@hotmail.com
You hear a news bulletin about the annual Davos economic conference and you
immediately think of the creator of the Daleks.
That was Davros, of course. But close enough.
Sometimes, a derivative use of the name becomes more well known than the
original. When I hear 'Duran Duran', I think of the band much more readily than
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
pete...@gmail.com

Pt
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-06 05:40:52 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by ***@gmail.com
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jack Bohn
2021-08-06 14:08:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by ***@gmail.com
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
He's either the guy selling weapons, or the guy buying, I forget.
The group The Thompson Twins is really only notable for being named after the identical detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.

It doesn't take a big sf fan to recognize Angels baseball player and later coach Buck Rodgers, but I was tickled to know the team was owned by fellow sf serial character Gene Autry of "The Phantom Empire." (Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to even realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
-Jack
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-06 14:34:47 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by ***@gmail.com
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
He's either the guy selling weapons, or the guy buying, I forget.
The group The Thompson Twins is really only notable for being named
after the identical detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic.
"...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album
because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in
Slumberland comic.
It doesn't take a big sf fan to recognize Angels baseball player and
later coach Buck Rodgers,
No, but it takes a baseball fan of some magnitude. When I were a
lass, in elementary school, we had to play softball for PE. I
was lousy at softball and I hated it; I won't guess at which was
cause and which effect. All my little classmates knew this, so
when sides were chosen I was always last in line, which meant I'd
get put in the outfield (into which nobody was good enough to hit
a ball) and never get up to bat.

but I was tickled to know the team was owned
by fellow sf serial character Gene Autry of "The Phantom Empire."

I never saw the original TPE, and the actor I associate with the
later version is Mark Lenard.
Post by Jack Bohn
(Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to even
realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
From which I suspect you didn't live in California. I did, and I
seem to remember mention of a baseball team by that name. But it
was the better part of seventy years ago, and I'm not at all
sure.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jerry Brown
2021-08-06 16:40:55 UTC
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by ***@gmail.com
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
He's either the guy selling weapons, or the guy buying, I forget.
The group The Thompson Twins is really only notable for being named after the identical
Almost identical. Their moustaches are different: one's curls out and
the other's in - can't remember which way round.
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
It doesn't take a big sf fan to recognize Angels baseball player and later coach Buck Rodgers, but I was tickled to know the team was owned by fellow sf serial character Gene Autry of "The Phantom Empire." (Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to even realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-06 17:39:47 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
It doesn't take a big sf fan to recognize Angels baseball player and later coach Buck Rodgers, but I was tickled to know the team was owned by fellow sf serial character Gene Autry of "The Phantom Empire." (Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to even realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
--
Jerry Brown
...and I suspect that *you* are not a California politician.

pt
Jerry Brown
2021-08-07 08:25:31 UTC
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 10:39:47 -0700 (PDT), "***@gmail.com"
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by ***@gmail.com
...and I suspect that *you* are not a California politician.
Correct, although T*m Br**n*ng used to ask me that every time he saw a
post from me.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Chrysi Cat
2021-08-12 05:26:24 UTC
Post by Jerry Brown
<snip>
Post by ***@gmail.com
...and I suspect that *you* are not a California politician.
Correct, although T*m Br**n*ng used to ask me that every time he saw a
post from me.
Did you ever fire back and ask if he was pitching for the Cincinnati Reds?

Or am I the only one with enough baseball knowledge to even know to ask
that?
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger
2021-08-12 06:17:04 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Jerry Brown
<snip>
Post by ***@gmail.com
...and I suspect that *you* are not a California politician.
Correct, although T*m Br**n*ng used to ask me that every time he saw a
post from me.
Did you ever fire back and ask if he was pitching for the Cincinnati Reds?
Or am I the only one with enough baseball knowledge to even know to ask
that?
--
That didn't occur to me, initially. The 1990 World Series was ongoing
the week my Father died. In the down time between visitation, wake,

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownto05.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Browning

Man pitched a perfect game and won his Game 3 start in the `90 Series.
Not too shabby!
2021-08-06 18:38:23 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
In the band, I never had any trouble telling Tom or Joe from Allanah. I kinda
liked the TTs. I briefly belonged to the Columbia Record Club and chose one
of their albums as a "free selection ." But I was always into the punk and new
wave acts. And "Allanah" reminded me of Adam Strange's sweetheart on the
planet, Rann, in STRANGE ADVENTURES.
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
It doesn't take a big sf fan to recognize Angels baseball player and later coach
Buck Rodgers, but I was tickled to know the team was owned by fellow sf serial
character Gene Autry of "The Phantom Empire."
There were two other "Bucks" who played baseball, and several "Flash" Gordons.

https://major-smolinski.com/BSBLNAMES/CULTURE.html

Comic strip Flash's game was polo, but he should have fenced for Yale. :)

I was a big fan of former New York Mets 3rd baseman David Wright,
who picked up the nickname "Captain America" in international play.

Stephen King wrote about "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Loved_Tom_Gordon
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
(Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to
even realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
They started as the Los Angeles Angels, the name of one of the
two minor league teams in the old Pacific Coast League. The other
was the Hollywood Stars. [I think this cropped up in the WILD CARDS
timeline, where the Brooklyn Dodgers stayed put,* and the New York
(baseball) Giants moved to Minnesota.] They stopped being tenants
at the LA National League club's stadium at Chavez Ravine and moved
into the then brand-new Anaheim Stadium. After several name contortions,
they are the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." Or, the Crips follow
the guys in the blue hats and the Bloods wear the red caps with the
Halos?

*[One way in which the post-Takisian virus dystopia was actually
a better world than our Earth's. :) Oh, well! Let's Go, Mets! ]
2021-08-06 19:44:33 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
In the band, I never had any trouble telling Tom or Joe from Allanah. I kinda
liked the TTs. I briefly belonged to the Columbia Record Club and chose one
of their albums as a "free selection ." But I was always into the punk and new
wave acts. And "Allanah" reminded me of Adam Strange's sweetheart on the
planet, Rann, in STRANGE ADVENTURES.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Alanna. In clearing the house
after my mother died I found a mash note I had written to her when I
was very small. I apparently never figured out a way to deliver it.

Closest I ever got to a real Alanna though was getting drunk with a
girl who had a cousin named Alanis (who was not present).
Post by Kevrob
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
Thinking about name contortions, it would be kind of fun if the
Yankees got sold South--the whole concept of "New Orleans Yankees" is
just difficult to get one's head around.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-06 20:59:25 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kevrob
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kevrob
Post by Kevrob
Post by Kevrob
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
Two neurons just got together and reminded me of a cartoon I saw
many years ago. Man sitting in an armchair, looking
disconsolately at a television set. His wife says to another
woman, "Ever since the Giants moved to San Francisco, he's lost
the will to live."
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
p***@hotmail.com
2021-08-07 01:32:40 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
In the band, I never had any trouble telling Tom or Joe from Allanah. I kinda
liked the TTs. I briefly belonged to the Columbia Record Club and chose one
of their albums as a "free selection ." But I was always into the punk and new
wave acts. And "Allanah" reminded me of Adam Strange's sweetheart on the
planet, Rann, in STRANGE ADVENTURES.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Alanna. In clearing the house
after my mother died I found a mash note I had written to her when I
was very small. I apparently never figured out a way to deliver it.
A zeta beam might have done it.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Kevrob
2021-08-07 01:50:01 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
detectives Thomson and Thompson in the Tintin comic. "...And Then There Were Three" has long been my favorite Genesis album because it has "Scenes from a Night;s Dream" about the Nemo in Slumberland comic.
In the band, I never had any trouble telling Tom or Joe from Allanah. I kinda
liked the TTs. I briefly belonged to the Columbia Record Club and chose one
of their albums as a "free selection ." But I was always into the punk and new
wave acts. And "Allanah" reminded me of Adam Strange's sweetheart on the
planet, Rann, in STRANGE ADVENTURES.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Alanna. In clearing the house
after my mother died I found a mash note I had written to her when I
was very small. I apparently never figured out a way to deliver it.
A zeta beam might have done it.
When very small, it's quite hard to get south of the equator
and catch the Ranagar Express, if you live in North America
or Europe.
2021-08-07 14:38:21 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
So we're not talking about the pretty lady from Thompson Twins?

(Looks at pictures online, considers a retraction)
Chrysi Cat
2021-08-12 06:16:32 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
(Called the California Angels years ago, it took me ever so long to
even realize there was a Los Angeles they could be near!)
They started as the Los Angeles Angels, the name of one of the
two minor league teams in the old Pacific Coast League. The other
was the Hollywood Stars. [I think this cropped up in the WILD CARDS
timeline, where the Brooklyn Dodgers stayed put,* and the New York
(baseball) Giants moved to Minnesota.] They stopped being tenants
at the LA National League club's stadium at Chavez Ravine and moved
into the then brand-new Anaheim Stadium. After several name contortions,
they are the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." Or, the Crips follow
the guys in the blue hats and the Bloods wear the red caps with the
Halos?
And of course, there were for decades people furious at the way that
MLB-on-the-West-Coast had been handled. As Wild Cards pointed out,
O'Malley was probably the only MLB owner at the time who felt that the
EXISTING leagues should invade California--he got the Giants' owners to
GO ALONG with it, but they would never have pulled that trigger on their
own.

The year before the Dogs (yes, unlimited hatred of them from me. I'm a
Rockies fan and there's a one-sided "despise them" thing with that
squad) arrived in L.A. was the third of three years of the Pacific Coast
League being "Unlimited"--not technically a major league, but not
subject to call-ups from any of the existing NL or AL teams either. If
O'Malley actually managed to /get/ the Dodger Dome--well, his plans to
run grass inside it would have worked out worse than the Colt 45s' in
Houston did, but he also likely still wouldn't have been able to afford
to pack out to L.A. once it failed--then the _rest_ of Major League
Baseball probably decides that the size of the pie the PCL brings to the
table is worth slicing it in such a way as to cut its teams in, by about
'64 or '65 at the latest and possibly earlier. There's never expansion
of the two Senior Circuits--whether the PCL is willing to expand is an
open question. There probably *isn't* an impetus for the Continental
League, but if there is, the _three_ Big Leagues (or two, with one
in-waiting) are if anything even _more_ inclined to kill it than the two
were. Elsewhere, if that dome Portland's suggesting is for a _Major
League_ team, it might actually get taxpayer approval (I wish my
grandparents were around to ask how they voted on that).

Of course, there's also the *minor* issue that the "new" Angels *tried*
using the stadium the old ones had been in and decided by midway through
their inaugural season that it was unsuitable for Major League
baseball--and of course the _Stars_ would still have been in even
_worse_ trouble, because their landlord would _still_ have wanted that
land to expand CBS Television City. But since you probably wouldn't
immediately be looking at interleague play, maybe the contrast wouldn't
be as obvious as soon?
2021-08-12 06:42:05 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
Bill Veeck had tested the waters for a move of the St Louis Browns
to LA. He couldn't get the other MLB owners to approve it. They let
the Brownies move to Baltimore and take on Oriole plumage, on the
condition that Veeck sell the team!*
Post by Chrysi Cat
The year before the Dogs (yes, unlimited hatred of them from me. I'm a
Rockies fan and there's a one-sided "despise them" thing with that
squad) arrived in L.A. was the third of three years of the Pacific Coast
League being "Unlimited"--not technically a major league, but not
subject to call-ups from any of the existing NL or AL teams either.
The AAAA designation, the only "minor league" to ever sport that.
Post by Chrysi Cat
[...]
* The History of the NABL Ch. 2

https://www.angelfire.com/rnb/nabl/nabl2.html
2021-08-06 22:59:46 UTC
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 16:14:27 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
It was 2 years after the Hays Office shut down. The opening title
sequence includes Jane Fonda doing a full-frontal strip.

Pity that woman got herself so involved with nutcake politics--she's
fun to watch with or without her clothes on.
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-06 23:20:34 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
It was 2 years after the Hays Office shut down. The opening title
sequence includes Jane Fonda doing a full-frontal strip.
Pity that woman got herself so involved with nutcake politics--she's
fun to watch with or without her clothes on.
I understand she later stated she regretted the movie, and if she could have,
would have bought every print and burned them.

Note that at the time it was made she was married to the director,
Roger Vadim, and it was made in Italy, not Hollywood (though
distributed in the US by Paramount).

2021-08-07 17:10:54 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
It was 2 years after the Hays Office shut down. The opening title
sequence includes Jane Fonda doing a full-frontal strip.
Discreetly covered by the credits.

And, in a later scene, by an awful lot of futuristic military
hardware.
Post by J. Clarke
Pity that woman got herself so involved with nutcake politics--she's
fun to watch with or without her clothes on.
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
2021-08-07 23:10:18 UTC
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 1:11:28 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:

[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
2021-08-08 15:50:14 UTC
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
I repeat myself? I caught some of Fonda's earlier films that showed up
on TV. Some of them were silly ("Tall Story") but she was gorgeous and
could be funny.
As to "French and sexy" -- to this day, some animated films can be
clearly identified as French because /all/ the female characters (of
suitable age) have very prominent conical bumps on their chest.

Most others tend to be a bit more ... subdued.

Indeed, the well-done Japanese film I saw last night (On-Gaku: Our
Sound) was so subdued I'm not entirely sure that some of the
characters I took to be female were, in fact, female. Not that it much
mattered for the story. Which impelled me to rewatch /Sing!/, to see
an animated film about music done really really well.
2021-08-08 18:10:12 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
I repeat myself? I caught some of Fonda's earlier films that showed up
on TV. Some of them were silly ("Tall Story") but she was gorgeous and
could be funny.
As to "French and sexy" -- to this day, some animated films can be
clearly identified as French because /all/ the female characters (of
suitable age) have very prominent conical bumps on their chest.
The online game I played, _Asheron's Call_, had the same problem

But, mind you, the graphics in that game were a bit ... simple,
compared what we have now.
Post by Paul S Person
Most others tend to be a bit more ... subdued.
I'm currently re-watching the DVDs of _Good Omens,_ which
contained the observation, "Most books about witches say that
witches work naked. This is because most books about witches are
written by men."

And I forget who it was who said, "The average woman would rather
be beautiful than intelligent. This is because the average man
can see better than he can think."

Fortunately, I happened on a man who could both see and think;
else I would undoubtedly still be single.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Kevrob
2021-08-08 19:16:16 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
I repeat myself? I caught some of Fonda's earlier films that showed up
on TV. Some of them were silly ("Tall Story") but she was gorgeous and
could be funny.
As to "French and sexy" -- to this day, some animated films can be
clearly identified as French because /all/ the female characters (of
suitable age) have very prominent conical bumps on their chest.
The online game I played, _Asheron's Call_, had the same problem
Bouncing Booby Balloons are a thing in anime, also.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing
2021-08-08 19:40:03 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
I repeat myself? I caught some of Fonda's earlier films that showed up
on TV. Some of them were silly ("Tall Story") but she was gorgeous and
could be funny.
As to "French and sexy" -- to this day, some animated films can be
clearly identified as French because /all/ the female characters (of
suitable age) have very prominent conical bumps on their chest.
The online game I played, _Asheron's Call_, had the same problem
Bouncing Booby Balloons are a thing in anime, also.
These weren't so much balloon-like as maybe like the front end of
a bullet. Rounded, but pointy.
Post by Kevrob
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing
Yes, but as you have probably noticed, large boobs in Real Life
(tm) behave like that too.

When women first started going braless, in order to avoid or at
least spurn the male gaze, somebody invented the Pencil Test. It
went like this.

You (you being a woman who would like to go braless) go into your
room, taking a pencil with you. Close the door, draw the curtains,
and strip to the waist. Pick up one of your boobs and put the
pencil under it. Let go of the boob and the pencil, in that
order. If the pencil falls to the floor, you have passed the
pencil test and can go braless without anybody much noticing.

If, on the other hand, the pencil stays put, you have failed the
pencil test and must wear some kind of restraint (back in my day,
the Bali Minimizer was the best available: it took a lot of the
boobage and shoved it into your armpit, where it didn't show as
much), to avoid *attracting* the male gaze as you jiggle along.

And you must do this without fail until you get so old that your
boobs hang like empty sacks and nobody is interested in them.

Life is sometimes a lousy drag. (I was going to say "sucks" but
thought better of it.)
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Kevrob
2021-08-09 15:27:19 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Kevrob
[...]
One result of my being a fan of the comicsstrips was that I read
more and more of the 3 newspapers my folks took each day. As
I became a high school-age debater and news junkie, I wound
up reading even the advice columns. So when Ann Landers (not
her sister, Dear Abby - I checked*) wrote her column promulgating
that test, I read it.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Life is sometimes a lousy drag. (I was going to say "sucks" but
thought better of it.)
I guess "lousy drag" could describe a fellow trying to dress up in
ill-fitting lingerie. :)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_test_(breasts)
2021-08-09 16:27:05 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Kevrob
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing
Yes, but as you have probably noticed, large boobs in Real Life
(tm) behave like that too.
These films are mostly not about Real Life (tm or not). They are
mostly fantasy films done for the kiddies.

But the point really is: standards differ in different cultures. And
"French" is /definitely/ a different culture.

What was the line in /Charade/? "Just because I got away from American
Provincial doesn't mean I'm interested in French Traditional." Or
something like that. Discussing different attitudes towards adultery.
2021-08-09 16:20:47 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
I once read a letter in /Army Times/ from a military wife who stated
that her work in /Coming Home/ made up for the "Hanoi Jane" episode.
--
Miss Army Recruiting, 1962! I didn't get to see "Barbarella" when it was
first released, but I knew that the comic strip was French and sexy - do
I repeat myself? I caught some of Fonda's earlier films that showed up
on TV. Some of them were silly ("Tall Story") but she was gorgeous and
could be funny.
As to "French and sexy" -- to this day, some animated films can be
clearly identified as French because /all/ the female characters (of
suitable age) have very prominent conical bumps on their chest.
The online game I played, _Asheron's Call_, had the same problem
Bouncing Booby Balloons are a thing in anime, also.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing
To be fair, a Japanese anime titled /Lu Over the Wall/ featured a
protagonist who, being about 13 years old and male, was obsessed by
boobs -- and found a pair attached to a woman who could create
penguins (IIRC). But that is an exception to my general experience --
which is /not/ comprehensive and so may not be correct.

That film, plus another, helped clarify why I found (most) Japanese
anime with young protagonists not as good as films with older
protagonists: the adults were portrayed as total idiots. This gets old
after a while.

I should also state that the French film that I had in mind was /A Cat
in Paris/, which (IIRC) had other unattractivenesses. Either other
films are less blatent, or I've gotten used to this, or other films
hold my attention with the /story/ so I'm not focusing on how the
characters are drawn.
2021-08-10 16:21:24 UTC
On Mon, 09 Aug 2021 09:20:47 -0700, Paul S Person
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[snip]
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
Sadly, the film summarized above was /Penguin Highway/; it's
protagonist was a 4th grader, so presumably around 10 years old. /Lu
Over the Wall/'s protaganist was in middle-school; the plot involved a
mermaid. This, BTW, was a strange take on mer-ism (so to speak): she
liked to bite things, and the things she bit (dogs, cats, people)
became mer-things. But the adults were just as stupid.

In some ways, it is comforting to identify the "other film" referred
to below. In others, it is unfortunate that they ran together in my
mind to the point that I confused them.

I should also point out that films like /My Neighbor Totoro/ and
/Ponyo/, while decidedly aimed at and about young children, do /not/
have stupid adults trying to run things. Quite the contrary, in fact.

So the films with really stupid adults as villains are a genre of
their own.
2021-08-06 23:09:55 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
Hays Office shut down, 1966.

Barbarella, 1968. So yes, just barely.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Robert Carnegie
2021-08-06 23:51:55 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
Hays Office shut down, 1966.
Barbarella, 1968. So yes, just barely.
Frequently barely. :-) Did she burn out that, too?

I thought the other day here I compared Mark Lenard's
organ to Durhan Durhan's - discussing _The Phantom Empire_.
You may have been in that state of serenity of possessing spirit
to engage with that which you know about and are interested by,
inner peace to simply sit and wait for anything else to finish and
stop, and the grace and good luck to be not noticed doing the latter.
Kevrob
2021-08-08 07:54:02 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
This guy: http://youtu.be/Eu7GgZbCLsY
Hmm. I had completely forgotten that guy. But as soon as the
scene began, I knew she was going to burn out that machine.
My guess is that this was after the Hays Office was shut down.
Hays Office shut down, 1966.
Barbarella, 1968. So yes, just barely.
Frequently barely. :-) Did she burn out that, too?
I thought the other day here I compared Mark Lenard's
organ to Durhan Durhan's - discussing _The Phantom Empire_.
You may have been in that state of serenity of possessing spirit
to engage with that which you know about and are interested by,
inner peace to simply sit and wait for anything else to finish and
stop, and the grace and good luck to be not noticed doing the latter.
I was starting the DVR recording of the 1982 "Richard Pryor: Live on
the Sunset Strip" film when I spied a familiar name on the marquee
of the Whiskey a Go Go, right between STORMER and ROMEO:
CIRITH UNGOL. A real band, but they gave the name a "Boston
Celtics" pronunciation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirith_Ungol_(band)
a.a #2310
Moriarty
2021-08-24 01:55:13 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
One of my favourite bands (Swedish Melodic Death Metal, so YMMV) is Amon Amarth, which Tolkien fans will recognise as the Sindarin for "Mount Doom", although it literally translates as "Mountain of Fate".

-Moriarty
Kevrob
2021-08-24 03:37:20 UTC
[snip]
Post by Moriarty
Post by Kevrob
I was starting the DVR recording of the 1982 "Richard Pryor: Live on
the Sunset Strip" film when I spied a familiar name on the marquee
CIRITH UNGOL. A real band, but they gave the name a "Boston
Celtics" pronunciation.
One of my favourite bands (Swedish Melodic Death Metal, so YMMV) is Amon Amarth, which Tolkien fans will recognise as the Sindarin for "Mount Doom", although it literally translates as "Mountain of Fate".
http://youtu.be/edBYB1VCV0k
Doom and Fate are synonyms, so wouldn't either work?
Jack Kirby had his "Mountain of Judgment,"
2021-08-06 16:18:37 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by p***@hotmail.com
You hear a news bulletin about the annual Davos economic conference and you
immediately think of the creator of the Daleks.
That was Davros, of course. But close enough.
Sometimes, a derivative use of the name becomes more well known than the
original. When I hear 'Duran Duran', I think of the band much more readily than
the Big Bad in 'Barbarella', from whom they took the name.
It's been a couple of decades since I read that *or* saw the
movie. Remind me who Duran was?
He's the young man Barbarella was tasked to find and stop.

If you're thinking "he doesn't /look/ young", the mathmos has its
effects.
David Duffy
2021-08-05 23:55:35 UTC
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game and every single
mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
You see _The Damnation of Theron Ware_ at Gutenberg and are surprised
it's not by James Blish...
Kevrob
2021-08-06 04:29:26 UTC
Post by David Duffy
Post by Tony Nance
...you're playing a word game and you're annoyed to
discover that "cavorite" and "scrith" aren't eligible
words.
...you're watching a soccer game ....
Then I check if I'm not in a story that has me in an alternate
universe where I watch soccer. :)

Somehow I found out the US men's soccer team beat Mexico
for the cup of the confederation for our part of the world, though
I take it that this Gold Cup is much less prestigious than the one
the countries of South America contest.
Post by David Duffy
Post by Tony Nance
and every single mention of a player named "Sam Vines" makes you
think of Discworld's Sam Vimes.
You see _The Damnation of Theron Ware_ at Gutenberg and are surprised
it's not by James Blish...
I once had to explain to someone that Mack Bolan was not in T Rex.
Freddy Freeman of the Atlanta Braves is unable to transform into
The World's Mightiest Boy. He does wear red , blue and gold, though.
Steve Rogers had a fine career pitching for the Montreal Expos (now
the Washington Nationals.) Peter Bonerz played orthodontist Jerry
Robinson on the Bob Newhart show, not the cartoonist.*

There are a bunch of people with my name.

Re "Duran Duran," the band dropped a "d" from the
comic strip/film character's names.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Robinson
a.a #2310
Jack Bohn
2021-08-23 14:54:57 UTC
My brother just visited, I connected him to my router, which is named after a sci-fi computing device, and the password is a phrase associated with it. The thought struck me that I can rename my device AM, and when anyone needs the password I can hand them the story "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream," indicating the bold block of text for them to type in. (That's if they're welcome guests, so that they know it's a reference. For unwelcome guests I could just begin reciting it.)
--
-Jack