Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
2021-09-08 15:13:17 UTC
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany

https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
pete...@gmail.com
2021-09-08 18:02:11 UTC
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
Have you done 'Day Million'?

I loved that story for decades, then I played a reading of it to my millenial daughter as we drove somewhere.
Only then did I realize how male-viewpoint orientated it was.

2021-09-08 19:44:15 UTC
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
I don't remember if I've even tried to read this story -
but I find I'm thinking of philosopher Bertrand Russell
an the taxi driver who said to him, “Well, Lord Russell,
what’s it all about? And, do you know, he couldn’t
tell me."
Mike Schilling
2021-09-19 06:52:15 UTC
No big surprise that the young people missed the Finnegans Wake reference.
Paul S Person
2021-09-19 15:06:29 UTC
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 23:52:15 -0700 (PDT), Mike Schilling
Post by Mike Schilling
Post by James Nicoll
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
No big surprise that the young people missed the Finnegans Wake reference.
As well they should.

The /first/ time I read it, I didn't understand it, but I admired the
craftsmanship. As opposed to the other one, which I found completely
impervious to my brain.

The /second/ time I read, I actually understood it. And bailed after
the first chapter, for it turned out to be about nothing I had any
interest in whatsoever.
Michael F. Stemper
2021-09-19 17:27:24 UTC
Post by Mike Schilling
Post by James Nicoll
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
No big surprise that the young people missed the Finnegans Wake reference.
I've read _Helix_ several times without catching it. In fact, the only
_Finnegans Wake_ reference that I've ever caught was at the end of
"Riders of the Purple Wage". (I hope that's not a spoiler.)

BTW, nice to see you again.
--
Michael F. Stemper
The FAQ for rec.arts.sf.written is at