[tor dot com] Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
Don
2021-05-18 20:38:23 UTC
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
"In the Stillness Between Stars" (Rivera) remains my favorite
hibernation story: https://crcomp.net/arts/instillness/

artyw2, a few months ago you asked about other Riveras. It turns out a
Rivera novelette titled "Beyond the Tattered Veil of Stars" made this
year's _Asimov_ short list. And its ebook is available for free at the
link: https://www.asimovs.com/about-asimovs/readers-awards-finalists/

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2021-05-19 13:37:03 UTC
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
Posted on Youtube May 17, apparently the story that the microwave oven was invented to reheat frozen hamsters humanely is true:

(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his chocolate bar melted is also true.)

Tell me this was not your inspiration. Because recalling maybe a dozen space-hibernation stories, dismissing most as used elsewhere, and doing a writeup on the remaining, *in a day*, is too intimidating.
-Jack
James Nicoll
2021-05-19 14:44:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/2tdiKTSdE9Y
(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his
chocolate bar melted is also true.)
Tell me this was not your inspiration. Because recalling maybe a dozen
space-hibernation stories, dismissing most as used elsewhere, and doing a
writeup on the remaining, *in a day*, is too intimidating.
It was not my inspiration but I think it takes me a couple of hours to go
from idea to first draft for these. In fact, taking longer risks me stalling
and forgetting about it.
2021-05-23 11:21:43 UTC
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
Posted on Youtube May 17, apparently the story that the microwave oven was
http://youtu.be/2tdiKTSdE9Y
(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his
chocolate bar melted is also true.)
Tell me this was not your inspiration. Because recalling maybe a dozen
space-hibernation stories, dismissing most as used elsewhere, and doing a
writeup on the remaining, *in a day*, is too intimidating.
It was not my inspiration but I think it takes me a couple of hours to go
from idea to first draft for these. In fact, taking longer risks me stalling
and forgetting about it.
Well, as long as the inspiration is internal, I can credit you subconscious with previously collating the material. The subconscious, like nanobots, can be handwaved as having done a lot of the work behind the scenes.
-Jack
Dimensional Traveler
2021-05-23 15:59:04 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Posted on Youtube May 17, apparently the story that the microwave oven was
http://youtu.be/2tdiKTSdE9Y
(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his
chocolate bar melted is also true.)
Tell me this was not your inspiration. Because recalling maybe a dozen
space-hibernation stories, dismissing most as used elsewhere, and doing a
writeup on the remaining, *in a day*, is too intimidating.
It was not my inspiration but I think it takes me a couple of hours to go
from idea to first draft for these. In fact, taking longer risks me stalling
and forgetting about it.
Well, as long as the inspiration is internal, I can credit you subconscious
with previously collating the material. The subconscious, like nanobots, can
be handwaved as having done a lot of the work behind the scenes.
My subconscious is unreliable and prone to hucking up ideas for
Basic Roleplaying in Fantasy Pangea when I need ideas about arcologies.
Arcologies in Pangea, the Adventure!
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
Jonathan
2021-05-19 23:05:10 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
http://youtu.be/2tdiKTSdE9Y
(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his chocolate bar melted is also true.)
Tell me this was not your inspiration. Because recalling maybe a dozen space-hibernation stories, dismissing most as used elsewhere, and doing a writeup on the remaining, *in a day*, is too intimidating.
Netflix just released a French film called
Oxygen about...well, can't say more without
spoiling it, but it's on-topic to this thread.

Here's the trailer.

-
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1
Titus G
2021-05-20 00:38:22 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
http://youtu.be/2tdiKTSdE9Y
(The story about the man wandering down a radar range and finding his chocolate bar melted is also true.)
Lynn McGuire
2021-05-19 22:08:47 UTC
Space Hibernation: Five Stories Featuring Sleeper Ships
https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/space-hibernation-five-stories-featuring-sleeper-ships/
I think that I read "The Songs Of Distant Earth" by Arthur C. Clarke
but, I am not sure.

Of course, there is the famous Star Trek episode where the Enterprise
finds a sleeper ship full of genetic engineered superpeople from Earth's
past, the S.S. Botany Bay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Seed