"SpaceX's private Inspiration4 astronauts had some toilet trouble in space"
2021-09-20 20:45:29 UTC
"SpaceX's private Inspiration4 astronauts had some toilet trouble in space"
https://www.space.com/inspiration4-spacex-toilet-trouble-in-space

"CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — After spending nearly three days in space,
SpaceX's Inspiration4 crew may have more appreciation for the facilities
here on Earth — namely, the toilets.
The historic all-civilian SpaceX mission, which launched Sept. 15 and
successfully splashed down on Saturday (Sept. 18), went off without a
hitch, except for a minor issue with the Dragon's onboard toilet.
"It was very clean mission from start to finish," SpaceX's Benji Reed,
who leads human spaceflight programs, said during a post-flight news
conference Saturday night. "We had a couple of issues that we worked, we
did work something on the Waste Management System, but that was worked
[out] fine and, you know, the crew was happy and healthy."
Details are still scarce as to what happened with the space toilet, but
the anomaly involved its suction fan, according to Reed. The suction fan
is responsible for removing waste products. "

Diapers for all !

I just do not remember many SF books detailing toilet issues in space
ships. Yet, I suspect that it is a horrible problem.

2021-09-20 21:37:18 UTC
"SpaceX's private Inspiration4 astronauts had some toilet trouble in space"
https://www.space.com/inspiration4-spacex-toilet-trouble-in-space
I just do not remember many SF books detailing toilet issues in space
ships. Yet, I suspect that it is a horrible problem.
Given that some form of artifical gravity seems to be ubiquitous in most
spaceship SF, it doesn't appear to be a significant issue.
Robert Carnegie
2021-09-20 22:25:32 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
"SpaceX's private Inspiration4 astronauts had some toilet trouble in space"
https://www.space.com/inspiration4-spacex-toilet-trouble-in-space
I just do not remember many SF books detailing toilet issues in space
ships. Yet, I suspect that it is a horrible problem.
Given that some form of artifical gravity seems to be ubiquitous in most
spaceship SF, it doesn't appear to be a significant issue.
Do you mean artifecal? :-)

There's an early shower scene (with water, to be clear)
in _Star Trek: Enterprise_ where the gravity turns off.

It may be Joe Haldeman's _The Long Habit of Living_ /
_Buying Time_ that visits a rotating "2001"-type space station
(I suppose) where I think the men's room receptacle has
a target marked /next/ to it, "x <-- Aim Here, Stupid".
Our hero does so.

It's not really sci fi, but an early routine of Billy Connolly's
is based on his inference that the aeroplane toilet just
ejects what you put in it to fall to earth - using a device
named a Jobbie Wheechter - but it could malfunction
and wheech /you/ out of the aeroplane.

And that does remind me of
<https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Paradise-Lost-in-Space-Audiobook/152913434X>
from 1995 which carefully doesn't mention that - if I remember
right - "Norman", played by Baldrick (Sir Tony Robinson), here is
basically a terrorist whose bomb is responsible for himself and
another Earthman being wheeched out of their Moon commuter
flight, inside the toilet. I think they were in there because of the
bomb in some way: I know you'd worry.

And other classics...
Kevrob
2021-09-21 02:15:16 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Remember...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_(aviation)
Jonathan
2021-09-25 11:34:18 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
A while back I posted the shuttle toilet 'procedure'
Here it is again. An article hinted the Dragon
toilet is similar

This article hints it's much like the shuttle toilet, and
Hurley said 'it worked very well'
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/01/how-is-the-bathroom-on-crew-dragon-nasa-astronauts-finally-able-to-answer/

Here's a 7 minute training video for the shuttle toilet.

Did you know it has a light and camera just under the
seat so you can see if you're 'aligned' with the
suction hole. A display monitor is next to the seat
so you can watch and check the alignment as you go.

1) place toe restraint down and locked
2) turn vacuum pump on
3) unstow urinal hose from velcrow strap
4) install urinal hose and cradle on wall
5) auto check mode set to off
6) fan step select switch to one
7) check UCS on light is on
8) connect waste disposal jar and hang on wall
9) install waste disposal bag into jar
(no paper allowed in disposal jar)
10) remove paper collection bag and velcrow to wall
11) select appropriate urine collection funnel.

a) males use large unvented circular funnel so that
the suction does not cause the funnel to 'dock'
with the skin, so overflowing and flooding the
fan separator can be prevented.

b) females have the choice of three different
vented oval shaped funnels so that the funnel
will dock with the skin and create a firm seal.

12) place your hands on the ceiling, or use the thigh restraints
to maintain contact with the seat.

13) solid matter in the commode, liquid in the suction tube

14) in an emergency use the Apollo adhesive attached diaper
located under the aft lockers, removal of aft lockers
required to access.

Easy as 1,2 3
--
BIG LIE From Wiki - "The German expression was coined by Adolf Hitler
when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, to describe the use of a lie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie
Wolffan
2021-09-25 12:37:02 UTC
Post by Jonathan
in an emergency use the Apollo adhesive attached diaper
located under the aft lockers, removal of aft lockers
required to access.
Ahem. In an emergency... are you going to have the _time_ to remove the aft
lockers?
Andrew McDowell
2021-09-25 13:13:43 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Kevrob
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
http://youtu.be/m1wwzwvfsC0
Easy as 1,2 3
(Trimmed)

I listen to the NASA podcasts and this comes up now and again. As you might cynically expect, the NASA podcasts are generally pretty positive about everything remotely connected with NASA, but I think I remember hearing:

1) As well as the official instructions, there is a certain amount of experience passed down verbally from experienced astronauts to astronauts in training, so I presue the official description doesn't reflect actual experience completely.

2) Even with that, a new ISS astronaut can expect their first few visits to be something of a learning experience.