Punchline: John M. Ford's work to be reprinted
2019-11-15 14:22:58 UTC
Article in _Slate_:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html

I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
a***@yahoo.com
2019-11-15 14:48:31 UTC
I read The Last Hot Time. Give it a try if you are fan of Urban fantasies.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-11-15 15:01:06 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
I read The Last Hot Time. Give it a try if you are fan of Urban fantasies.
I would expect _The Dragon Waiting_ would be a more down Dorothy's alley
though I found it a bit oblique.
2019-11-15 15:04:37 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
I read The Last Hot Time. Give it a try if you are fan of Urban fantasies.
What I want to read is _One for the Morning Glory._ I've been
reading *about* it on these groups for decades, always with the
comment "but it's impossible to find a copy."
Chris Buckley
2019-11-15 17:43:04 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
I read The Last Hot Time. Give it a try if you are fan of Urban fantasies.
What I want to read is _One for the Morning Glory._ I've been
reading *about* it on these groups for decades, always with the
comment "but it's impossible to find a copy."
Yes, I would think there would be a very good chance you would like it
a lot. However, that book is actually by John Barnes, not John Ford.

It's on my "favorites" book case, along with two books by John Ford,
_The Last Hot Time_ recommended above, and _The Final Reflection_
which is probably my favorite Star Trek novel. It works very well on
at least 3 levels
1. Consistency with the Star Trek universe
2. Extension of the Star Trek universe - I consider it the defining
book for the Klingon culture.
3. As a novel completely independent of Star Trek.

Chris
Dorothy J Heydt
Steve Coltrin
2019-11-19 00:22:53 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
What I want to read is _One for the Morning Glory._ I've been
reading *about* it on these groups for decades, always with the
comment "but it's impossible to find a copy."
abebooks.com lists a few copies available for ~$5, shipping included.
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Martin
2019-11-15 16:57:17 UTC
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
Delighted to hear it. Second the recommendation for "The Last Hot Time".
Another one to check out is "Casting Fortune", which is the best work in the Liavek universe I ever read.

And for people who like whimsical farce Star Trek novels, "How Much For Just the Planet?" is unique. But I'm sure it's not to everyone's taste. ;)
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-15 17:30:49 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
Delighted to hear it. Second the recommendation for "The Last Hot Time".
Another one to check out is "Casting Fortune", which is the best work in
the Liavek universe I ever read.
And for people who like whimsical farce Star Trek novels, "How Much For
Just the Planet?" is unique. But I'm sure it's not to everyone's taste.
;)
I've heard good things about that one too. As for Liavek, I've
never read anything in that series (don't think I've ever seen
any of those on sale, back in the days when I could frequent
bookstores). Are they out of print too?
a***@msn.com
2019-11-18 01:12:42 UTC
I really enjoyed "Growing Up Weightless" but I couldn't recommend it to people since I knew it would be hard to find.
David Duffy
2019-11-18 10:51:56 UTC
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
You _can_ join the queue at

https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL714247A/John_M._Ford

and then download a copy. His books are right up your alley -
as someone mentions elsethread, knowing your history of the Eastern Roman
Empire _and_ Arthuriana is necessary to pick up all the action in _The
Dragon Waiting_.

Cheers, David Duffy.
Chris Buckley
2019-11-18 18:57:31 UTC
Post by David Duffy
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
I've never read anything of his; could never find copies.
You _can_ join the queue at
https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL714247A/John_M._Ford
and then download a copy. His books are right up your alley -
as someone mentions elsethread, knowing your history of the Eastern Roman
Empire _and_ Arthuriana is necessary to pick up all the action in _The
Dragon Waiting_.
Yes. Unfortunately, while I have some knowledge of the relevant
history, I have not been able to work with it well enough to
understand what's happening in _The Dragon Waiting_.

A shame; people whose opinion I respect a lot absolutely love
_The Dragon Waiting_ (eg Jo Walton). I have copies of all of Ford's SF
novels and reread them all, but that's the only one that I have had to
force myself to finish. In the language of the original excellent
_Slate_ article, I hit one of his "icebergs" with content mostly
beneath the surface, and plow my way through, hoping to understand the
iceberg later, but never escape from the iceberg surface for the rest
of the book!

Chris
t***@gmail.com
2019-11-26 12:28:17 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by David Duffy
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I love The Dragon Waiting, but I would not have appreciated it nearly as
much, and maybe not even have made it through, without Andrew Plotkin's
(aka Zarf - used to post here for a long long time) Concordance, still online
here:

https://eblong.com/draconc/

I experimented with how to use it, and quickly found my best rhythm would be
to read a chapter of TDW, then read Andrew's concordance for that chapter.

Very helpful, very rewarding.
Tony

Mike Van Pelt
2019-11-19 00:50:30 UTC
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
Interesting article.

So, it seems all the stories about "Ford's family is a bunch of
religious fanatics that think all speculative fiction is Of The
Devil<tm> and that's why they won't let it be reprinted" were
false. It was a combination of they weren't aware of the
interest, and Ford's agent had something of a breakdown and
not getting their letter.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-19 01:54:05 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html
Interesting article.
So, it seems all the stories about "Ford's family is a bunch of
religious fanatics that think all speculative fiction is Of The
Devil<tm> and that's why they won't let it be reprinted" were
false. It was a combination of they weren't aware of the
interest, and Ford's agent had something of a breakdown and
not getting their letter.
It's happened before. H. Beam Piper committed suicide, in part,
because his agent had lost (mislaid? didn't have the current?)
address and didn't know where to send the check.

And there was a guy in the SCA once, mundanely Mark Wallace (an
engineer), in the Current Middle Ages Baron William Blackfox, who
for years drew a fascinating cartoon called _Warthaven._ He died,
suddenly and intestate, and his family (who always thought the
SCA was stupid and cartooning a waste of time) refused to let any
of his work be reprinted.

Once upon a time on one of these groups, someone quoted an
agent's advice with regard to contracts: "Assume that your work
will be inherited by a group of your heirs, all of whom hate each
other and don't want the others to get any money, even if it
means they won't either."
a***@yahoo.com
2019-11-19 02:30:09 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Then there is the story of A Confederacy of Dunces and The Neon Bible. John Kennedy Toole wrote both of these but committed suicide before they were published. His mother convinced Walker Percy to read it and it got published. However, due to archaic Louisiana law, the profits went to her son's surviving male relatives. (Though that may have changed after lawsuits). When the Neon Bible was unearthed, she did not want it published, but it was published after her death.