"In Remembrance of Gardner Dozois 1947-2018" by John Varley
2018-06-03 19:41:14 UTC
"In Remembrance of Gardner Dozois 1947-2018" by John Varley

https://varley.net/nonfiction/varleylog/in-remembrance-of-gardner-dozois-1947-2018/

"It is with great sadness that I report the death of Gardner Dozois, one
of the greatest science fiction editors of all time. He was a friend who
I hadn’t seen or spoken to in far too long. I learned today that he was
exactly eighteen days older than me. I have to say that I’m surprised
(and very pleased) that he made it to age seventy, almost seventy-one.
He was always seriously overweight. Maybe it was his mighty heart that
kept him going this long."

"I met Gardner in 1976, at the first science fiction convention I ever
attended, Philcon ‘76. I also was the principle speaker, a term Philcon
uses which is analogous to guest of honor. Philcon claims to be the
longest-running science fiction conference of all time, dating back to
1936, when nine fans attended, including Donald A. Wollheim and my
friend, Frederick Pohl."

Lynn
Ahasuerus
2018-06-03 21:15:50 UTC
[...]
Of the attendees of that very first convention in October 1936, I think
only one, Bob Madle, who turned 98 yesterday, is still around.

A lot has changed since then. As Milton A. Rothman, the chairman of that
convention (or perhaps "convention" since it was held in his living room)
once wrote:

"My major impression on looking back is that we had no idea what we were
getting into." (http://fancyclopedia.org/phoxphyre)