[tears] Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell
2021-09-26 13:20:56 UTC
Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/somewhere-after-midnight
2021-09-26 16:13:58 UTC
Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/somewhere-after-midnight
It is an ill wind indeed that blows no good at all.

Perhaps this book might inspire some people, out of curiosity, to
investigate the works of _Elizabeth_ Gaskell?

2021-09-26 18:29:53 UTC
Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/somewhere-after-midnight
It is an ill wind indeed that blows no good at all.
Perhaps this book might inspire some people, out of curiosity, to
investigate the works of _Elizabeth_ Gaskell?
I bought and read that trilogy, long ago; having read it, I
gaveit away.

Gaskell was first published at the age of (twelve? fourteen?),
with a sort of half-baked fantasy, but at her age it was not too
bad to get published. I don't remember whether I still have that
book or not (Chorus: cats in the fiction room....). Title,
_Strange Evil_, if anyone cares. The personification of Evil is
a Baby.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Quadibloc
2021-09-28 03:41:55 UTC
I bought and read that trilogy, long ago; having read it, I
gaveit away.
I can hardly blame you. Given James Nicoll's description,
it sounds like it barely qualifies as having entertainment
value.

I can't bring myself to describe providing an excuse to paint
a scantily-clad woman on its cover as a redeeming feature.

2021-09-28 05:04:12 UTC
I bought and read that trilogy, long ago; having read it, I
gaveit away.
I can hardly blame you. Given James Nicoll's description,
it sounds like it barely qualifies as having entertainment
value.
I can't bring myself to describe providing an excuse to paint
a scantily-clad woman on its cover as a redeeming feature.
The woman (hardly out of her teens, if memory serves) has all
sorts of bad things happen to her. I forget what happens in the
end.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/